• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Cyclists and Smoking

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
this has all been very informative. But the drawback I see is riding one handed while smoking could be dangerous on a group ride. I am going to build bikes (pat.pend.) with a hookah built into the downtube.

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

`Who are YOU?'

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What better way to celebrate winning a Grand Tour?

Cycle-Cigar.jpg

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
the student said:
-- The tumors in the mice developed fresh blood vessels, and the cancers grew rapidly

from the article... so its totally good for you... you smoke create more blood vessels... increase the chance of cancers... which will grow faster... so they have to put you on chemo treatment... which gets you very very lean... so i cant see the drawbacks

One has to weigh the pros and cons up very well before deciding not to smoke.

One possible draw back is the carbon monoxide binding irreversibly with haemoglobin, blocking the uptake of oxygen by that particular part of a molecule of haem... But it does raise your haematocrit, which consequentially compensates with bragging rights.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
If the vampires go after nicotine as well, pro cycling might as well just shut up shop. Not only do we have to tolerate vegans, now this. And it's illogical; as DR Ferrari might say: cigarettes don't kill people, lung cancer does.

yes vegans are quite offensive and *** i agree no doubt. if you want to throw away your health and be like an anemic male girl with low male hormones than go right ahead great life choice lol.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
One has to weigh the pros and cons up very well before deciding not to smoke.

One possible draw back is the carbon monoxide binding irreversibly with haemoglobin, blocking the uptake of oxygen by that particular part of a molecule of haem... But it does raise your haematocrit, which compensates and consequentially your bragging rights.

true this does happen i have found though that my crit sits around the standard at sea level im at 41-43 or so generally. thats more or less normal right?

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
true this does happen i have found though that my crit sits around the standard at sea level im at 41-43 or so generally. thats more or less normal right?

If you smoke properly you can get it up to 46 no problem

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Lest we forget that cycling is a team sport, drafting could take on a whole new meaning. It's important to make sure that teammates stay well lit.

There may be no "I" in "Team" but there is certainly an "I" in "Cigarette."

Schneidig-2.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
I applaud your efforts but you may have some catching up to do
images

I saw a guy riding a rig like this through crowded rush hour traffic in Seattle. He weaved through intersections with loaded transit busses locking up their brakes and cars skidding to a halt. It was as if he was protected by the Patron Angel of Crack.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm lets see... for those that 1 cigarette leads back to a 3 pack a day habit the idea of a cyclist, pro or otherwise would sound bad. BUT smoking causes a mucus reaction in the lungs..Some people cannot cough up anything normally but smokers always can. This could be a benefit.. Smoking pot does this even better...Asthmatics used to smoke pot to stave off attacks and it absolutely is not a myth.. For Andy Schmuck it is more than likely just an ironic stunt to pull in the eye of the public. I used to race cross country (dirt bikes)...Some of the most fit, fastest riders looked out for their less talented but cigarette smoking peers when the conditions were dusty...Those virginal pink lungs would revolt in the clouds of talc while the tough lunged racer would hack the dust up and keep on going.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
redtreviso said:
I used to race cross country (dirt bikes)...Some of the most fit, fastest riders looked out for their less talented but cigarette smoking peers when the conditions were dusty...Those virginal pink lungs would revolt in the clouds of talc while the tough lunged racer would hack the dust up and keep on going.

Interesting perspective. I don't think the importance of brand should be underestimated though.
Bicycle_01.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Enough with this stupidity.

Susan

You'll be disappointed, no doubt, :D but I believe I've exhausted all my possibilities on this thread. But if we ever meet on the road, Susan, I promise to be nothing but a gentleman.

Radfahrer.gif

And with that, it's off to relax with some friends...
Tuning-Up-1.gif

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
this has all been very informative. But the drawback I see is riding one handed while smoking could be dangerous on a group ride. I am going to build bikes (pat.pend.) with a hookah built into the downtube.

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

`Who are YOU?'

Dude! I am all over that!

You might want to revise your patent, though. The bongs should always go in the head tube, as any granola-munching teddy bear-humping dead fan would tell you.

Cummon, do some research...

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
According to the internet, smoking may cause cancer. This is a serious problem for me as I have sworn a oath to fight the battle against cancer wherever I find it, partially in internet fora. So I have decided to declare war on smoking and all you disgusting cancer lovers in this thread who have encouraged it.

Please note that is has nothing to do with this thread being voted as a one star, and is only about my hatred of cancer

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
WonderLance said:
According to the internet, smoking may cause cancer. This is a serious problem for me as I have sworn a oath to fight the battle against cancer wherever I find it, partially in internet fora. So I have decided to declare war on smoking and all you disgusting cancer lovers in this thread who have encouraged it.

Now you tell me! :eek:

But I really don't see the problem...

cigarette.jpg

Besides, all the good bikes are going to have batteries in them this year. And what's not to like about "Rocket Fuel"?

TRENDING THREADS