• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro tour team Licences

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
With Radio Shleck now only needing one licences (and im not sure which one they have gone with>??)

Who else have the automatic points for next season??
This will become more clear after the Vuelta, but if Geox win, surely they will have enough point for TdF 2012, also Green-edge may be close with Goss just names.

Any points that Cobo makes will pretty much be negated by Menchov and Sastre leaving which I think they are rumoured to be. Other than that they are spread really thin at the moment so they would need some serious recruiting to get WT and I'm not even sure there are enough points on the market anymore.

Three licences are not going to be renewed: Radio Shack's (as they will be riding under the Leopard paperwork), QuickStep's (riding with the Omega licence) and HTC's.
That being the case, I don't think any of the current WT teams have much to fear, even AG2R and Vacasoleil: their guaranteed entry to the races that yield most points gives them a great advantage in point gathering.

So with three places available, New Lotto and GreenEdge seem to have the rider-points to get into the top 18, leaving room for just one more: Skil/Cofidis/FDJ/Europcar/Androni/Geox are in the running but the obscure formula makes it hard to know how they stand.

At the moment, I would guess likelihood as :
FDJ
Europcar
Geox
Skil
Cofidis
Androni
Transfer market action can, of course, change any of these either for better or worse.

A while ago, there was talk of CQ having a table based on future transfers and its belief of what the UCI formula is, but I cant find it on their site: link anyone?

Armchair cyclist said:
Three licences are not going to be renewed: Radio Shack's (as they will be riding under the Leopard paperwork), QuickStep's (riding with the Omega licence) and HTC's.
That being the case, I don't think any of the current WT teams have much to fear, even AG2R and Vacasoleil: their guaranteed entry to the races that yield most points gives them a great advantage in point gathering.

So with three places available, New Lotto and GreenEdge seem to have the rider-points to get into the top 18, leaving room for just one more: Skil/Cofidis/FDJ/Europcar/Androni/Geox are in the running but the obscure formula makes it hard to know how they stand.

FDJ
Europcar
Geox
Skil
Cofidis
Androni
Transfer market action can, of course, change any of these either for better or worse.

A while ago, there was talk of CQ having a table based on future transfers and its belief of what the UCI formula is, but I cant find it on their site: link anyone?

Agree that none of the current teams will lose there licence, and that Greenedge and Lotto will get one and if I had too hazard a guess at the 3rd team getting in I would go with Europcar then Geox.

Armchair cyclist said:

FDJ
Europcar
Geox
Skil
Cofidis
Androni

It was only posted to their twitter as far as I know. http://t.co/H1pzNjq

It needs updating given all the latests mergers and transfers however.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Let us hope that the UCI is smart enough not to give Green Edge a WT license. We have had enough of new teams and teams without sponsors stinking up the joint. They should have to prove themselves at the Pro Continental level.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Let us hope that the UCI is smart enough not to give Green Edge a WT license. We have had enough of new teams and teams without sponsors stinking up the joint. They should have to prove themselves at the Pro Continental level.

100% agree with this.

I dislike this notion of buying yourself WT status.

It should be mandatory as far as i'm concerned.

current situation encourages teams to just buy themselves into Wt status and call it quits 12 months later. Make teams show some long term dedication imo.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
if i had my way the PT would only be 12 teams strong, rewarded to teams who have been in the sport for at least two years and are consistant performers, and avoid non-ethical matters.

ok maybe no world tour license.
but a tour de france entry for 2012 would be good. Australia is the rising nation for cycling

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com

Agree but Ive been explained by an ex pro that for example about the 4 years secured amount of money (sorry but cant remember how to call it..) UCI would just require a paper where the main sponsor report to commit about it; which pratically means zero.

pastronef said:
ok maybe no world tour license.
but a tour de france entry for 2012 would be good. Australia is the rising nation for cycling

And?:confused:
Norway has done much more than Australia in the last Tour, should we get Joker-Merida in there too? :D

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd say Green Edge, Lotto and Europcar.

Perhaps it would be wiser to keep Green Edge ProContinental for a year, but I'd rather have a risky (but worthy) team than another team like Fuji-Servetto who are just to weak on the whole (like the current incarnation of Skil)

Michele said:
Agree but Ive been explained by an ex pro that for example about the 4 years secured amount of money (sorry but cant remember how to call it..) UCI would just require a paper where the main sponsor report to commit about it; which pratically means zero.

Norway has done much more than Australia in the last Tour, should we get Joker-Merida in there too? :D

joker merida al tour?! ;)

i was saying that Aso, with the television audience and all the sponsor, after Cadel's win, have a big "new" market in australia. that's why i suggest they could get invited

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Norway has done much more than Australia in the last Tour, should we get Joker-Merida in there too? :D[/QUOTE]

Hahahah
Mate Cadel Evans is Australian!!!! Yellow Jersey and A stage win, better then EBH and Thor winning from break away a few times

singlecog said:

Hahahah
Mate Cadel Evans is Australian!!!! Yellow Jersey and A stage win, better then EBH and Thor winning from break away a few times[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair one of Eddies wins was from a bunch Sprint.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
This concept of 'earning your way in' is the biggest load of bs. Clearly teams are either good enough to be in the WT or not be. It is suppose to have the best teams in the World Tour and not the teams who have worked and tried hard over the past few years. Clearly Leopard Trek were in the top teams in the world going into this year. Who gives a **** if they bought their way in. They were clearly one of the best teams. Should be based on sporting criteria alone meaning how good their riders are.

TRENDING THREADS