• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Protest against Cavendish

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Seems odd that his own team can't get the story right when they are giving their press releases. Is that so hard to do?

Frodo going for the dead relative sympathy vote?

CN this evening:-

The HTC-Columbia team have confirmed the reason why Mark Cavendish left the Tour de Suisse today, saying that the decision not to start was based on two factors. His grandmother passed away and he wants to be present at her funeral tomorrow, and he is also experiencing stiffness after his crash two days ago.

The 25-year-old sprinter rolled out of La Punt approximately five minutes after the peloton today, tracing the race route in riding up the day’s first climb of the Sustenpass. He was accompanied by a team car, and was due to jump into it after his ride and be taken straight to the airport.

According to a team official, he wanted to ride today’s stage but the time of the finish made it impossible for him to do that and make it to his flight on time. He is also feeling sore after the crash into Wettingen.

Does this explain it for you, why not ride part of the course instead of hanging around a hotel for hours on end whilst waiting for your flight. Your last remark was a bit crass and uncalled for.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
No less than what I expect from MJM. CN confirmed today that he pulled out of the race because he was stiff from the crash and wanted to attend his grandmother's funeral.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
theres some sad comments on this thread, a lot below the belt. respect someone when they have a death in the family, its one thing being professional about it, but also these things mean something. sort it out mods, you have a let an awful lot of comments in these last few days go which have been out of order including attacks on people based on which country they come from

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Seems odd that his own team can't get the story right when they are giving their press releases. Is that so hard to do?

Frodo going for the dead relative sympathy vote?

If they don't refer to the funeral they are hiding something, if they do they're going for the "dead relative sympathy vote".

Barnaby said:
Low and uncalled for.

Just like spitting at an injured rider and then spitting at riders protesting against your dangerous riding.

And just like most of Frodo's press interviews.

Funny how when Frodo is busy shooting his mouth off about all and sundry you can't get enough of it. But someone has a dig at Frodo and his excuses and you're all outraged all of a sudden.

Funny how this morning the Columbia press people were saying it was all down to injuries, then he was busy riding the route, and then all of a sudden they remembered that the real reason wasn't the injuries but because he had to get back for the funeral.

Why should Frodo get any respect when he acts like a **** on and off the bike? He gets what he deserves.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Just like spitting at an injured rider and then spitting at riders protesting against your dangerous riding.

So far not a single rider has come forward and said they actually saw this happen and there were enough in the area at the time for someone to have seen it.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Funny how this morning the Columbia press people were saying it was all down to injuries, then he was busy riding the route, and then all of a sudden they remembered that the real reason wasn't the injuries but because he had to get back for the funeral.

His grandmothers death was first reported by Flemmish TV two days ago but obviously HTC wanted to keep it a private matter and then it was reported yesterday in the British press that he would leave for personal reasons which most on this thread sneered at as HTC said it would be decided on a day by day basis. In case you are unaware that in the UK Furnerals can take anything between 3 & 10 days to take place due to the offical process therefore they were unsure of when he would leave until a date was set.

stefrees said:
theres some sad comments on this thread, a lot below the belt. respect someone when they have a death in the family, its one thing being professional about it, but also these things mean something. sort it out mods, you have a let an awful lot of comments in these last few days go which have been out of order including attacks on people based on which country they come from

Too A MOD: please read the first sentence and end this thread.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:

If there is an offensive comment - it should be removed (& the poster repremanded) but it does not warrant closing of a thread.
And, no I do not agree with MrsJM's remarks.

To take the heat out of the discussion.

If Cav is leaving -for whatever reason, then why did he not ride with the group and climb off at the feed or some pre arranged point?

The peloton sorts out riders - in amateur circles it could end up being a trip to the side of the road. But in the Pro circuit it appears that gaps that were allowed are now closed, a friendly wheel to follow now accelerates by.

Cav probably had his hardest day yesterday - I do hope he learns from it as he is an extraordinary talent - but he has to remember respect is earned not given.

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
To put some flesh on what is clearly a point of interest the funeral date of his late grandmother (Marjorie, CN readers might be intrigued to know) was set by last weekend as the funeral notice had already been published by then.

As a very wild guess, given that he was already down to race in Switzerland he may have been in two minds as to whether he would stay with the race till the end or leave the race early to go to the funeral, and the business of the crash and the protest may have tilted his mind in favour of quitting the race and going back to the funeral.

As to why it was not mentioned in the original report from HTC on CN news earlier today, hell, we might never even know, but occasionally in Real Life someone does not report something fully or accurately, or does not explain something clearly or is not fully informed when they say something. Hard for those on the internet to accept I know, but it must surely happen sometimes.

One thing is for sure; if I see Marjorie walking along Douglas Promenade any time soon I will agree with Ms DaveSpart that something funny is up.

stefrees said:

Totally agree with this comment....+100000000000000000

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:

Only 1 post from this thread has actually been reported to the moderators. You will notice that I have dealt with that post. I agree however that there is quite a nasty mood here and I will be reading back through the thread to deal with any other over the top posts.

All: Please try to keep a lid on the personal stuff or you will be treated accordingly and the thread will be locked.

Better just close the thread now. Obviously the gullible British pantywaists will not stop complaining that everyone does not buy HTC's transparent cover story about Cavendouche. I always wondered why the Aussies had it in for the Brits in sporting events. Now it is clear that it must be great fun listening to them moan when they lose.

Had to drop out for his grandmother? Yeah, right. This is the knob who refused to see his parents when they travelled to the Tour to see him. He faces some heat from the peloton, and suddenly he remembers that family is important enough to leave the race.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Better just close the thread now. Obviously the gullible British pantywaists will not stop complaining that everyone does not buy HTC's transparent cover story about Cavendouche. I always wondered why the Aussies had it in for the Brits in sporting events. Now it is clear that it must be great fun listening to them moan when they lose.

Had to drop out for his grandmother? Yeah, right. This is the knob who refused to see his parents when they travelled to the Tour to see him. He faces some heat from the peloton, and suddenly he remembers that family is important enough to leave the race.

I personally can't stand Mark Cavendish and wish he would go away, but I can't understand why people like you care about his personal life. Who cares if he decides to go to his grandmother's funeral or if he likes his parents or not? It's completely irrelevant.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Newgymshoes said:
Saw that Klier and Hunt held back the peloton at the start of the stage today. I am very happy to see someone actually standing up and saying what MOST of us think (and not being able to say right to the faces of the riders even if we wanted). Even for the fastet sprinter i the world there has to be consequences for your actions. When he does not want to behave, someone has to put him in his place.

I hereby join the protest of Andreas Klier and Jeremy Hunt!! If anybody else wants to protest with me, you are welcome...

Respectfully, do you mind if I ask exactly what it is you accuse him of?

BroDeal said:

It works both ways there. Britain and Australia have this mutually antagonistic relationship going, like they get energy and love from their constant hatred for each other. Both countries are full of appalling whiners, mixed with unreasonable expectations. Britons whinge, the Australians whinge about how much Britons whinge, and Britons whinge about how the Australians are whinging about how much Britons whinge without noticing how much they themselves (the Aussies) are whinging. Which only confirms to the Aussies their opinion that the British whinge, so they whinge about that, and the cycle continues.

Libertine Seguros said:
It works both ways there. Britain and Australia have this mutually antagonistic relationship going, like they get energy and love from their constant hatred for each other. Both countries are full of appalling whiners, mixed with unreasonable expectations. Britons whinge, the Australians whinge about how much Britons whinge, and Britons whinge about how the Australians are whinging about how much Britons whinge without noticing how much they themselves (the Aussies) are whinging. Which only confirms to the Aussies their opinion that the British whinge, so they whinge about that, and the cycle continues.

Let the whinging continue then. Someone should start a Cav vs. Evans thread so the rest of us can sit back and enjoy the fight.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:
CN this evening:-

The HTC-Columbia team have confirmed the reason why Mark Cavendish left the Tour de Suisse today, saying that the decision not to start was based on two factors. His grandmother passed away and he wants to be present at her funeral tomorrow, and he is also experiencing stiffness after his crash two days ago...

Does this mean there are two stiff's in the family ???

Ok, ok - know it is a bit off-color, but couldn't resist !!

BroDeal said:
Let the whinging continue then. Someone should start a Cav vs. Evans thread so the rest of us can sit back and enjoy the fight.

Dont go there BroDeal everyone knows the Aussies would SMASH the Brits..Just like in the League,Union,Tennis,Commonwealth games...
"Dangeling bait in water"....

TRENDING THREADS