• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ProTour to Monteal and Quebec city

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So? Anybody in North-Eastern America and Canada excited about next year's race?

Quebec City race will be held in a really nice historical part around the citadelle, with lots of good climbing in the steep streets for excellent views...

Montreal's loop is quite similar to the World's race of 1974 (my dad took me to see Merckx) and various other World cup events. Again, many laps with a long grinding climb to see the pros real close at an enjoyable pace (for us spectators!)

It'll be in September. Very nice time of the year to visit Quebec...

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Of course some of us are excited about next year's races in Quebec and Montreal. That being said, there is a lot of other things to be excited about until then :D. Also, since the Worlds are over and there's little road racing left in this year's calendar, it's hard to stay focused on professionnal cycling as much as it was during spring and summer.

I'll try to be at both events, since even though they signed for I think 5 years if my memory serves me right, you never know when you'll get the chance to see such an event again. I've lived in both cities and I'm looking forward to each event.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Any details on the two courses?

I figure there won't be too many changes in the Montreal course since '92, but I wonder if they'll make it like the Women's World Cup and have the finish at the top of Mont Royal? That would be nasty! :D

As for Quebec City, will it be the same as Beauce - just more loops?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
No, but I've seen plenty of crits and Worlds and, however tough the course (and that usually equates to a couple of bunps), the fact is you see better racing on a proper Classics type road race parcours with a variety of different bosses on varying terrains.

I'm delighted that McQuaid's globalising vision extends so far - shame he can't see beyond the dollars and the North American market.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Definitely not a crit in Montreal

bianchigirl said:
No, but I've seen plenty of crits and Worlds and, however tough the course (and that usually equates to a couple of bunps), the fact is you see better racing on a proper Classics type road race parcours with a variety of different bosses on varying terrains.

I'm delighted that McQuaid's globalising vision extends so far - shame he can't see beyond the dollars and the North American market.

The past 3 winners in Montreal (back when it was a World Cup event) were of proven pedigree.

1992 - Frederico Echave (won alpe d'huez in 87 tour)
1991 - Eric Van Lanker (won 1989 Amstel Gold, and 1990 L-B-L)
1990 - Franco Ballerini (double P-R winner)

The Montreal course might not look like much, but it would always grind the bunch down to a select few.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
What a shame to give PT standing to city crits instead of decent road races

If the course in Montreal is anything like what they used in the '74 World's the course will definately be worthy of a ProTour race! The results list shows only 18 finishers with Merckx ahead of Poulidor and Martinez. Not exactly your typical "crit" riders. Merckx has called his win in Montreal his third greatest victory behind the '69 Tour and the hour record.

630770711_Qn3Ys-XL-1.jpg

Quebec City is as close as it comes to a European city in N. America and will provide a great backdrop for the race. The old city with its classic steep (albeit short) climbs will provide a enough of a course to break the legs of many ProTour riders. There are even cobbled streets to choose from! If they really wanted a tough course they can start in Quebec City and finish at Mont Megantic, the toughest stage finish of the Tour de Beauce for over 250 KM and well worthy of ProTour status.

09_TDB_E3_den.jpg

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
bikenrunnwt said:
If the course in Montreal is anything like what they used in the '74 World's the course will definately be worthy of a ProTour race! The results list shows only 18 finishers with Merckx ahead of Poulidor and Martinez. Not exactly your typical "crit" riders. Merckx has called his win in Montreal his third greatest victory behind the '69 Tour and the hour record.

18 finishers... I think that's about how many the rainy '90 World Cup race had.

Quebec City is as close as it comes to a European city in N. America and will provide a great backdrop for the race. The old city with its classic steep (albeit short) climbs will provide a enough of a course to break the legs of many ProTour riders. There are even cobbled streets to choose from! If they really wanted a tough course they can start in Quebec City and finish at Mont Megantic, the toughest stage finish of the Tour de Beauce for over 250 KM and well worthy of ProTour status.

Megantic, oh frig!... I rode that S.O.B. a year ago today. 5 km at 10% + with a secton posted at 18%.... It would certainly cause a selection.

bianchigirl said:

I dont quite agree with you on this.

I have watched a few Worlds and many have been fantastic, exciting races. Yes most of the great classics are point to point races but then Milan-San Remo and Paris-Tours are hardly the most exciting races to watch either.

Flanders is not a circuit race but the route allows multiple viewing at different points. Last year, I was at Flanders on the Kluisberg, Oude Kwaermont and still made it home in time to see the final 30km.

I have also had the pleasure/pain to cycle over Mont Royal on the Montreal circuit and it is anything but a bump. Having been to tough cicruit races in San Francisco and Philadelphia, I found them just as enjoyable as watching Flanders or Roubaix.

I think promoting one day races in Canada is as justifiable as trying to turn the Tour of Poland into a major stage race, aint gonna happen.

TRENDING THREADS