• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Puerto & Valverde

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I hesitate to post this, but... Without wanting to start a did he/didn't he debate, I've got a few questions related to the Puerto case that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

There's been a lot written about how it appears damning that Valverde is the only cyclist in the peloton with a surname starting with valv, and equally, that his dogs name was piti. It's equally been pointed out that cycling was not the only sport involved in Puerto.

My question is, are there any other spanish athletes in sports other than cycling whose name includes the letters valv? And how common is piti as a dog's name in Spain?

I'm not looking for evidence to clear or condemn Valverde, I've just been curious about this for a while, due to my woeful lack of knowledge re Spanish names and culture.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
From what i've heard there are a lot of Spanish names named in this affair: tennisplayer Rafa Nadal, f1-driver Fernando Alonso, lots of players from Real Madrid and Barcelona, and so on. Nothing was ever proved but this is named as the most important reason the case was put to rest, to much damage for the Spanish sports world.

The wife of Fuentes has mentioned he treated allmost all the Spanish altletes during the '92 Olympics. Fuentes was teamdoctor of Belda's Kelme team when Valverde was at that team btw.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, some people in Spain call their dog Piti, it is not just Alejandro Valverde.
Pitiguauguau.bmp

But the Italian authorities believe they have a DNA match and evidence of money transfers. So the code name only gave them something to start on.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BICICLON said:
this thread make me sick, he is inocent until some jury clame him guilty. Respect inocent presuncion. This kind of speculation are the cancer of our lover sport. Lets do the authorities the work and lets support the cyclist. He has said several times he never take anything. He also give his blood and pass the dna passaport. O.p. Was miserable , but we have to pass the page and not dig the cyclist, we are the fans and we are killing this sport. Is not our competence to judge this, the same that la, there are a lot of rumors but there are not definty proves

Operacion Puerto was fun when it was only other countries' athletes getting suspended, huh?

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Fuentes is from wHere i borned in canary island,gran canaria, in 99 i went to a conference in the univerity, " the tittle conference was: T"The doping is ten years above the antidoping" that conference was very impresive and make me thought a lot. " i not defense him, and any one who cheat,they are the cancer. But we cant always been rising dudes to any spanish that is good in his sport. There are a lot of mistery about o.p, also there are many documents that nobody have seen again because they disapers. I think is more than few cyclist name, but THAT YOU SAY about Rafa and Fernando alonso, that is pure sick, there is not rasonable reason, just becouse there are the best in their sports. They are natural talents

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BICICLON said:
Fuentes is from wHere i borned in canary island,gran canaria, in 99 i went to a conference in the univerity, " the tittle conference was: T"The doping is ten year above the antidoping" that conference was very impresive and make me thought a lot. " i not defense him, and any one who cheat,they are the cancer. But we cant always been rising dudes to any spanish that is good in his sport. There are a lot of mistery about o.p, also there are many documents that nobody have seen again because they disapers. I think is more than few cyclist name, but THAT YOU SAY about Rafa and Fernando alonso, that is pure sick, there is not way to say that. They are natural talents

Your avatar picture apparently has an extra talent as well. Was she implicated in Operacion Puerto? :D

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Bartoli said:
From what i've heard there are a lot of Spanish names named in this affair: tennisplayer Rafa Nadal, f1-driver Fernando Alonso, lots of players from Real Madrid and Barcelona, and so on. Nothing was ever proved but this is named as the most important reason the case was put to rest, to much damage for the Spanish sports world.

The wife of Fuentes has mentioned he treated allmost all the Spanish altletes during the '92 Olympics. Fuentes was teamdoctor of Belda's Kelme team when Valverde was at that team btw.

OH that ****! how do you think spanish people feel about those coments? Dont be stupid. !!Now all spaniards talents are in Operación Puerto,!!! You are jelous about spanish achievements and the talent of spanish sportsmen are showing in this moment.
Cycling... Spanish Rules
Football... Spanish Rules
BAsketball....Spanish RUles
Tennis ....Spanish RUles
TRiatlon.....Spanish RUles
HAndBall.... Spanish Rules
F1....Spanish Rules
MOtorcycling ....SPanish RUles.
We are on the top of the most viewed sports Come on boy. OP is not the cause of the big moment that spain live in HQ sports. Spain is a great nation and has the condition to create such popular sports championship like FA or RN

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ALBERTIÑO said:
OH that ****! how do you think spanish people feel about those coments? Dont be stupid. !!Now all spaniards talents are in Operación Puerto,!!! You are jelous about spanish achievements and the talent of spanish sportsmen are showing in this moment.
Cycling... Spanish Rules
Football... Spanish Rules
BAsketball....Spanish RUles
Tennis ....Spanish RUles
TRiatlon.....Spanish RUles
HAndBall.... Spanish Rules
F1....Spanish Rules
MOtorcycling ....SPanish RUles.
We are on the top of the most viewed sports Come on boy. OP is not the cause of the big moment that spain live in HQ sports. Spain is a great nation and has the condition to create such popular sports championship like FA or RN

Lol, chill and read, i quote myself: "Nothing was ever proved". I just state what is mentioned in the world wide press, not what's my opinion. Or would you deny what Fuentes'wife said? Btw, i got a jersey of the Spanish football team right here and I'm a fan of Real Madrid, so stop accusing the messenger.

Action at last

BICICLON said:
Fuentes is from wHere i borned in canary island,gran canaria, in 99 i went to a conference in the univerity, " the tittle conference was: T"The doping is ten years above the antidoping" that conference was very impresive and make me thought a lot. " i not defense him, and any one who cheat,they are the cancer. But we cant always been rising dudes to any spanish that is good in his sport. There are a lot of mistery about o.p, also there are many documents that nobody have seen again because they disapers. I think is more than few cyclist name, but THAT YOU SAY about Rafa and Fernando alonso, that is pure sick, there is not rasonable reason, just becouse there are the best in their sports. They are natural talents

Sorry but this is long over due, Valverde has kept his head down for the last couple of years and hoped that this would all go away. Unfortunately for him his own DNA appears to have tripped him up. I hope a 2 year ban is implemented and that no team touches him afterwards, he is undoubtably a huge talent, which for me makes this all the more infuriating. There will be a few worried riders in the peloton today in light of CONI's findings.......

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
CONI Power?

Well, here we go. CONI requests 2 years against Valverde.

DNA does not lie. It did not for americans (Hamilton), german (Ullrich) and will not for Spanish either. Face it.

The guy is a super rider; on paper he's like early Lance Armstrong. A very good bully able to win sprints in a select group of strong finishers. But to ride above everybody and win a climbing stage? Valverde has not done it since... Since the alarm was triggered and he "fell" and "broke a collarbone" (Read; he excluded himself from the Tour.)

Valverde was on the the juice. And now he can still do wonders and still win races. But to TT and climb and win with consistency on tours... History has shown that the juice it is!!

Now let's talk about Rasmussen and what's his name puerto boy dancing together the polka-dot tango on the TdF's toughest climbs...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
TempeteOntheRoad said:
Now let's talk about Rasmussen and what's his name puerto boy dancing together the polka-dot tango on the TdF's toughest climbs...

I'd rather talk about them going on a boat trip with Richard Virenque and never being heard from again.

There's a lot to say about this subject, suffice to say. On the Bicycling forums this thread has a lot of information on it, though it does delve into some flaming (sound familiar?!) at times. I made several posts there referencing the details on OP, Valverde's culpability, and what I think should be done with the case.

I have to work, but will post again later, but please follow that link if you have the time, lots of info there on OP, especially the third page.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Come on people, don't be blind!

All of you screaming his innocence have you been under a rock. I too wanted to believe in cyclist innocence. I thought Tyler Hamiliton was innocent (not now), then I thought Floyd was innocent, his book made a good case. (bet he doped), Basso, Riis, Kohl, Etc. There has been a culture of doping for some time.

I enjoy all of the excuses you all make for him. Hello DNA evidence. I think they have good evidence to suspend him. yes lots of others in other sports are also tied but those are other sports. Right now cycling is going after the cheats. (It is the right thing to do) I can't wait for the day when I see a great feat in cycling and don't expect doping.

Wake up people and smell the EPO, Cera, or what ever comes next. You can believe what you want, but I bet the evidence is clear.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
this case is not good for cycling at all, CONI only take revenge for those of their riders that was caught in OP. CONI also ban VAlverde for 2 years and for exsampel di Luca for 3 months in the of seson for a simular case.

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
Herman said:
this case is not good for cycling at all, CONI only take revenge for those of their riders that was caught in OP. CONI also ban VAlverde for 2 years and for exsampel di Luca for 3 months in the of seson for a simular case.

This is where I have a problem with the IOC. Your likelihood of being caught and the punishment you get are a lottery based upon your sport and your country. It shouldn't matter if you are a Spanish cyclist or a Brazilian beach volleyball player. The banned list should be the same, the controls should be the same and the punishments should be the same. And the only body that can enforce that is the IOC, but they seem happy to follow the same attitude towards doping that the UCI did during the 1990s. And we all know where that ended.

And if the IOC take their responsibility, we'll also get away with situations like a certain Danish cyclist taking out a license in Monaco and Mexico because they don't do out of competition testing...

Graham.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think the route cause of all this is that although we have new cyclists coming through they are still going through the same trainers and DSs who are so used to doping they get the new riders to do it too. Until we get new people in the management who don't dope then we will still get these cases

TRENDING THREADS