• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Q & A Chris Boardman - another veiled dig at Obree

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
On the current Q & A Chris Boardman I found myself agreeing with most of what he said except;

Cyclingnews: As someone who pushed the design envelope as a professional regarding equipment, and now as someone who has his own bicycle company supplying equipment to a professional cycling team, can you comment on the UCI regulations and restrictions on bicycles?

Boardman: I'm really happy to have the platform to say something, honestly, because with me there's been massive misconceptions about my stance. I think that the UCI assumed that I was trying to pull a fast one all of the time. In my own history looking back, I really didn't want to use the superman position. I thought it was just stupid, it's human-powered vehicle racing and I didn't want to do it.

Well first of all what is cycling if it's not human powered vehicle racing? Secondly Chris Boardman rode in a period where he broke British records using tri bars. I'm not against innovation but happen to think that episodes like Lemond beating Laurent Fignon at the 1989 tour shouldn't have been allowed to happen. The lessons learnt from this period are now being used to try and ensure a level playing field.

However to call the superman position (or allowance of its use) as stupid is offensive to Graeme Obree, who had been allowed to use it.

It also smacks a bit of sour grapes that Obree had been the one to innovate using purely his mind, as opposed to the number crunching scientific methods of Boardman and Keen. In other words he didn't want to admit that Obree had been the pioneer and been correct - that he doubts Obree would have challenged him had they adopted the same position.

At the age of 22 and at the national track cycling champoinships in Britain I saw Obree competing in his original crouched position - and laughed along with the others. At the age of 42 and with the befit of hindsight I am embarrased at how Graeme was perceived and treated. I have nothing but admiration for what he acheived and think the question mark over his positions aesthetics are pathetic. It's the same breed of snobbery that sees a road rider, equipped with the latest carbon rig, breeze past a mountain biker without saying a word.

Really Chris, having reached the pinnacle of the sport, and holding the records, be sporting enough to think twice before making comments which, whether intended or not, denigrate someone who was a great rival and actually validated your own performances.

I agree with everything else Chris had to say. Oh and by the way, stop calling it the 'superman' position and start calling it the Obree position (mark 2).

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Boardman's opinion would be mute if the "superman" position were the first position adopted on a bicycle and thus the standard position. People often mock and ridicule things that push the boundary and cause "change".

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the HPV record is the only record he has left.

He was real prolific with his exploits in the 90's, but we can all remember those days- it seemed like shooting fish in a barrel the way we were going- i mean everybody was stepping up to get a peice.

But thinking more on that special hour that will forever make him the king of the HPV, I think he will have it for the rest of his life. I don't see that being possible to wipe away by anyone.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
As an Obree fan. Boardman mearly refined what other people came up with, Obree invented, innovated, built, raced & won, now thats a real legacy, maybe Boardman feels ****ed that he hasnt the brilliant mind Obree has.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Irish2009 said:
As an Obree fan. Boardman mearly refined what other people came up with, Obree invented, innovated, built, raced & won, now thats a real legacy, maybe Boardman feels ****ed that he hasnt the brilliant mind Obree has.

+1.

Obree head and shoulders above other so called innovators including Boredman. he did it in a shed/barn in northern scotland and won, not some multimillion pound development centre.

Obree should be knighted for it.

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Good to see most in agreement, shame not more have an opinion. I'd like to see everyone refering to it as an 'Obree' position rather than 'Superman'. As per Gil Scott-Herons song 'Aint no such thing as Superman'

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hmsgenoa said:
Good to see most in agreement, shame not more have an opinion. I'd like to see everyone refering to it as an 'Obree' position rather than 'Superman'. As per Gil Scott-Herons song 'Aint no such thing as Superman'

+1

i'd also like to see Obree get more recognition along with fellow Scot Robert Millar.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
If you read the rest of what he said it's not so clear cut, he acknowledged the position worked even though he wasn't in favour of it:

`At the test that we did for the 1996 hour record we tested all different positions and equipment and right at the end I had an engineer build a set of bars to test. And we said, 'Should we test it?' Well, if we professed to be open-minded we've at least got to give it a look. And I did a few laps and I thought 'Oh crap, it actually works!'

So we had to do it, because the rules said that we could.

The point is that I didn't want to do that, but the rules allowed it. So we're just ****-up against the rules, that's what they're there for, to control everybody.'

From Cyclingnews Q&A

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
hmsgenoa said:

The thing is he used 2 positions, The hunched one he originally used even in road races and the hour record until it was banned then the superman position copied by Boardman and subsequently banned.

Boardman eventually using a tri style position that was not as good.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I will always think of Obree as a legend. Amazing history. I feel bad for him because of his mental problems, but it makes a good story, probably why it was portrayed on the big screen.

And that's why there's a movie about Obree, and none about Boardman.

Agree that Obree was robbed and unjustly ridiculed and Boardman's statement really is conduct unbecoming of the gentleman i thought he was.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
ExRower said:
And that's why there's a movie about Obree, and none about Boardman.

Agree that Obree was robbed and unjustly ridiculed and Boardman's statement really is conduct unbecoming of the gentleman i thought he was.

On Boardmans company website they go out of there way to praise Obree as an innovator.I think Boardmans is still slightly resentfull of the way Obree scheduled his record attempts.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmm said:
Boardman's opinion would be mute if the "superman" position were the first position adopted on a bicycle and thus the standard position. People often mock and ridicule things that push the boundary and cause "change".

Assuming you mean "moot" rather than "mute" (as in a moot point) I agree entirely. Everyone uses time trial bars these days, but if you were following cycling in the late 1980s you'll remember the fuss over Greg Lemond using tri bars in the Tour de France.

Genius is an overused word, but I think Obree is one of the few people that deserve that epithet.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Nice to see some humility from Boardman who admits he got it wrong and Obree was right. Of course that doesn't stop the holier than thou brigade leaping up to denounce him as a fool who got it wrong and that Obree was the great innovator who got it right.

Well yeah, that's what Boardman just said.

Willy_Voet said:
I always wondered why he felt compelled to end his life. Incredibly sad that this was the issue that tormented him.

I truly wish him the best.

Just saw this too. Hopefully it will be a big non-story. (as it should be)

Cycling is SO screwed right now. (ok it has been for awhile but it seems to be coming to ahead.)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
There is already a specific thread created to discuss Obree and his recent announcement. This thread is discussing Boardman's comments on Obree