• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Qatar Worlds 2016

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I for one don't mind too much about the Qatar hosting the WC, at least it makes sense from a sporting point of view unlike in many other sports. It is the opportunity to see something different with echelons as in the Tour of Qatar which is very enjoyable to watch only it is going to be twice the distance, so imagine the damage it could do. It could be a pretty unique WC (and Tommeke winning it then retiring on top of his game would be pretty awesome too). The only downside is that OPQS would own the TTT in the wind.

Andy99 said:
Is it legal to drink in Qatar?

If not, what's the point in going to a worlds there? :eek:

There is certainly no point in going there unless they change their laws.

However they may have to change their rules before the 2022 Football WC, because it's hard to imagine any fans will go there under the current law,
so they might well as change early so the locals can get used to it

kanari said:
I read somewhere (I think procycling.no) that Bergen could still host the 2016 WC if Ponferrada have to give it away. In that case it would be Qatar 2014 and Bergen 2016.

The other way around, I think? What I read was that Bergen was offered to take over 2014 from Ponferrada, but they declined, because 2014 was to soon. Apparantly, it takes more than two years to organize a one day-race, even if the parcours is already decided.

zapata said:
The other way around, I think? What I read was that Bergen was offered to take over 2014 from Ponferrada, but they declined, because 2014 was to soon. Apparantly, it takes more than two years to organize a one day-race, even if the parcours is already decided.

Yes Bergen declined 2014 but apparently Qatar is OK with 2014 leaving 2016 to Bergen if Ponferrada needs to give it away.

kanari said:
Yes Bergen declined 2014 but apparently Qatar is OK with 2014 leaving 2016 to Bergen if Ponferrada needs to give it away.

Yr. Qatar won't have a problem in holding the World's at a short notice.

And after seeing the 2013 WC course I wouldn't mind a WC in Qatar.

It won't be as bad as people think. They'll try their best to make the course a bit challenging and if they get the right advice they could do it.

kanari said:

Oh, in that case..I'm conflicted. I'd very much like to have a WC in my hometown, but not at the expense of ponferrada. Can only hope Qatar unexpectedly runs out of oil or something.