• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quality of the kit given to leader's jerseys ?

So I'm watching footage of the Vuelta and the Giro this past week and wondered what the quality of the chamois is like for the leader wearing the pink, yellow, or red jersey ?

Does anyone know what the tour(s) (giro, france, vuelta) organizers use for their chamois ?

I know they are specially made with the leaders' team ironed/sewn on.

I'm also thinking about skin suits made for the TT's ? Has any rider every complained about the quality ? Or is it Assos "sewn in" ?

Anyone with any insight, I'd appreciate to hear from you.

Thanks

May 11, 2009
Visit site
masking_agent said:
So I'm watching footage of the Vuelta and the Giro this past week and wondered what the quality of the chamois is like for the leader wearing the pink, yellow, or red jersey ?

Does anyone know what the tour(s) (giro, france, vuelta) organizers use for their chamois ?

I know they are specially made with the leaders' team ironed/sewn on.

I'm also thinking about skin suits made for the TT's ? Has any rider every complained about the quality ? Or is it Assos "sewn in" ?

Anyone with any insight, I'd appreciate to hear from you.

Thanks

I would imagine that each team provides the kit to its riders - and probably some riders have unique requirements (especially shorts) with the original manufacturers name removed.

If you are talking about the winners podium jerseys the race organizers have an inventory of blank jerseys and the riders team logo is added immediately after the race finish.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I remember Wiggins mentioning that when in the yellow jersey at any ASO event the kit is made by their sponsor le coq sportif rather than by team skys sponsor adidas. He thought it was in issue more so with the skin suit for time trials given the expense gone to to develop his team sky skin suit which was all lost given he had to wear a stock le coq sportif yellow skin suit.

I remember him mentioning it in an early season race before le tour. Maybe romandie? Or the duaphine?

(EDIT: must have been the dauphine if it was an ASO race)