• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quandry: Evans beats Vino

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Vino would have to pullout with fatique again if he wasn't doped. Just because Evans - one of the top in form riders in the world right now - beats him doesn't necessarily Vino is not doped, or that Cadel must be doped. A very good clean rider can beat a rider who is below them and just doping a bit. With the small amounts of EPO or blood they use these days it's not necessarily going to make someone unbeatable.

If Vinos cool with it and Evans is cool with it, then I am certainly all right with it if it doesn't bother them.
It was an incredibly entertaining race regardless; cheers to the 2 of them AND the rest of the peloton.....:)

I Watch Cycling In July said:
Does anyone seriously think this is a sign that vino isn't up to his old tricks?

Or is Evans on the "improved formula" rice cakes?

Or Evans finally achieving what he's promised to do for many years. This is no more an indictment than Evans' L-B-L performance. I doubt the Phonak 2.0 "doping is very individual" ethos has changed anything - (if) Evans is juicing, he didn't start yesterday (why resist for a decade only to give in to it in your twilight).

It's also hard to compare on such a day though. Vino did cook himself a bit trying to push the pace a few times before the finish. A few more factors than usual were in play today.

Forget Evans, what about "I am vehemently anti-doping" Pinotti and the Clean Prince?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Or Evans finally achieving what he's promised to do for many years. This is no more an indictment than Evans' L-B-L performance. I doubt the Phonak 2.0 "doping is very individual" ethos has changed anything - (if) Evans is juicing, he didn't start yesterday (why resist for a decade only to give in to it in your twilight).

It's also hard to compare on such a day though. Vino did cook himself a bit trying to push the pace a few times before the finish. A few more factors than usual were in play today.

Forget Evans, what about "I am vehemently anti-doping" Pinotti and the Clean Prince?

If BMC are doping then they need to get their act together.;)

blackcat said:
Vino's tricks = peloton's tricks.

no difference.

Yep. I just don't see how a top rider (like Evans) can be clean and consistently beat dopers.

Regardless, whether guys like Evans, Pinotti, and Millar are hypocrites or not I'd still rather they be publicly anti-doping than be public doping appologists. They are likely closet hypocrites but I think the official line has to remain strongly anti-doping. Is hypocrisy better than Omerta? Perhaps it's at least a move in the right direction?

craig1985 said:
I told somebody this morning before our race that Vino had taken the pink jersey, and he just face palmed.

LOL being a cyclist or cycling fan is like being stuck in an abusive relationship that you know you should leave but you won't because the good times make it worth sticking around.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
LOL being a cyclist or cycling fan is like being stuck in an abusive relationship that you know you should leave but you won't because the good times make it worth sticking around.

I'm in even more of a conundrum. I visit a physio, who has been a great help to me in treating problems with my neck, lower back, knees, shoulder, from time to time, understands cyclists problem since he does triathlon, and is a really good, laid back guy, but when you walk into his practice, and on the wall where his counter/desk is, is a great big picture of Lance Armstrong leading the team in the TTT at the 2005 TdF. He also brings up stuff like how LA is going etc., so it does get a bit tricky.

I won't go anywhere else since he is good at his job. Hey, on the times where I left my private health insurance card at home, and have only realised it when I was finished, he has let me come back later and settle the bill (which I do) :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

I think if Pinotti were doping, his pro performances would at least somewhat resemble his fabulous youth performances where he fought Di Luca and China and even Basso for the top spots in everything.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
[ QUOTE=issoisso;208269]Yep. I just don't see how a top rider (like Evans) can be clean and consistently beat dopers.

[quote ]

I just don't see him beating dopers consistently...

The reason your quote doesn't show up properly is that you quoted someone else, then pasted my username over the username of the guy who actually made that post.

Why exactly are you trying to "put words in my mouth", so to speak?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
Cadel used Molly to transport drugs and prohibited substances around. Don't know if that's still the case, but it certainly was in 2008.

WTF? Are you actually trolling or could you back this up? And don't cop out on the speculation/rumour/read it on another forum crap.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
WTF? Are you actually trolling or could you back this up? And don't cop out on the speculation/rumour/read it on another forum crap.
think he or she is being facetious. It is absurd. Come on Craig, a little critical perspective.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
... (if) Evans is juicing...

Prolly the question I really want answered is... is there anyone who believes that Evans isn't juicing and also really believes that Vino is?

I suspect the answer is yes, because of the intense reaction to Vino's L-B-L win, but quiet after Cadel's La Fleche and Giro stage wins. There are plenty of standard "evidence of doping" arguments to apply to Cadel if anyone felt inclined*..... beaten Contador and Vino..... older rider finds great form..... teammates being investigated in Italy..... teammate busted.....previous teams.....

So, if anyone thinks Cadel is clean and Vino is doping, how do they explain the results?

Ferminal said:

There usually are a number of factors in play IMO. Was it you who made a comment about Cancellara along the lines of "there are very few races where it's obvious that the outcome was determined by doping"?

Ferminal said:

I'm with BikeCentric in thinking that hypocrisy might be a lesser evil than apologist denial.....

*I don't particularly, I just think ACF deserves a wind up ATM :p

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i dont believe evans dopes now but i have no doubt whatsoever that he had doped at some point.

how to explain his latest successes ? i think the playing field is a tad more level now and he became a more astute rider.

is vino doped now ? can't tell until the 3d week ;)

TRENDING THREADS