Question Question of the Week: What is your favourite race of the season and why?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is really tricky to answer as I like different races in very different ways.
Strade Bianche has been mentioned quite often and I have an absolute soft spot for that race. Incredible racing, absolutely unique, the competition is usually really good, there is just so much to love there. But I'd argue the bigger races just have that certain vibe of epicness to them that simply put them above SB. Like, if something exciting happens in SB and the exact same thing happens in ParisRoubaix, it will feel even more epic in the latter.

To an even bigger extent that happens in Grand Tours. I still get goose bumps thinking of the final days of the 2016 giro and really if you look at it, the racing was good but not exactly better than what your average cobbles classic offers. But it's the almost 3 weeks prior that make those good moments absolutely great and unforgettable. And so, yeah, my pick probably goes to my favorite grand tour, the giro (I know, super unpopular choice on this forum...) because grand tours offer something that I still haven't experienced from any other sport event. 3 whole weeks of being stuck to the screen, never knowing what happens next and being aware that, how unlikely it may seem, the next corner, the next climb or the next descent could completely change the race. And so for three weeks every year my mind is completely fixated on this bycicle race in Italy and I still cannot believe, it won't be like that again this year.

If there is one period in the season I look forward the most to it's the combo of Ronde and Roubaix on back-to-back weekends with Itzulia during the week between them. Impossible to choose between Ronde and Roubaix when those races as a whole are considered, but the riders entering Arenberg forest is probably the most iconic single moment of the entire cycling season.

This is a very nice Question of the Week. Who can pick just one race? For me, Paris-Roubaix is special among the Classics. The course is so demanding that whoever wins it is a hero. It can't be won without extraordinary courage, the ability to persevere through lots of suffering and maybe some setbacks along the way, and a boatload of talent. Among the grand tours, the Tour de France was the first cycling race that captured my attention. My favorite stage remains Stage 18 of the 2011 Tour de France--Andy Schleck's bold ride up the Col du Galibier. That day, there were many heroes: Andy Schleck, for the ride of his life; Tommy Voeckler, who somehow managed to hold onto the maillot jaune; and Cadel Evans, who saved his hopes for an eventual GC victory.

Last edited:
Tour De France for its importance and quality of field.
Giro for its less predictable racing and quality of parcours.
Paris-Nice for consistently giving us at least reasonably interesting racing each day (and some highly interesting final stages in recent years).

Mar 23, 2019
For me it’s Milano san remo. The long build up to the fireworks at the end. You don’t know who will win it till the last 20 metres usually. The setting the weather the route and the poggio make this race for me.

ronde van vlaanderen. it's hard to explain why, but to me, being an American so far away from the event, those roads just feel like hallowed ground. i really hope to visit one day and see the race and ride some of the route.

Always has been and likely always will be the Tour.

I remember as a teenager in the summer. I would really piss my friends off as we'd be playing Football or Tennis and then about 10 mins before the Channel 4 highlights would come on, I'd tell them all laters and run/bike home to watch it. It was a running joke as we got older.

I'd do it when we started to go on holidays together too. Culminating in seeing the Tour at the Alpe (ITT) in 2004.

I have grown to love the classics of course. I'd put Flanders and P-R as my co-favorites.

My favorite race is probably the Giro. Maybe because is the first Grand Tour and routes are rather challenging. I hate it when the weather affects the race. But nowadays is the only race where you can see very hard mountain stages. In no other race you can see that anymore.

Another one that has caught my attention lately is Paris-Nice. Maybe because is the first WT 1 week race of the season. It has usually very nice racing even for the flat stages.

The best 1 day race for me is Paris-Roubaix. It almost always provides a very good spectacle. Honorable mention goes to Lombardia.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS