• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to Chris Horner

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
715
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
In the mix with Lemond, Hampsten, Thurlow (probably missing a few) as one of the very best road cyclists the US has ever produced.
Let's not go crazy now. If you compare Horner's palmares to Davis Phinney or Bobby Julich, he falls pretty short--and no one would ever say (I hope) that Phnney or Julich were up there with Lemond and Hampsten. Horner is a fine member of the peloton, a solid rider and an excellent domestique, but he ain't no Julich.
 
Jan 29, 2010
416
0
0
The Hitch said:
Sarcasm based on what? Why wouldn't I like Horner?
Sarcasm based on the question mark in your original post.

The Hitch said:
+ a million. What a legend?

What an absolute talent.
It does come off as sarcastic? See what I mean, what the heck does that last sentence mean when I end it with a '?'? I suspect you meant to type a ! instead.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Afrank said:
Yep, he is one of the best guys in the peleton, hope he can win California again. That was great watching him ride away from everybody when it was his turn to do a pull.



Actually he is from Bend Oregon.
Hmm. If not from Cali then he sure spends a helluva lot of time here.:D

We'll go ahead an adopt him.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Wallace said:
Let's not go crazy now. If you compare Horner's palmares to Davis Phinney or Bobby Julich, he falls pretty short--and no one would ever say (I hope) that Phnney or Julich were up there with Lemond and Hampsten. Horner is a fine member of the peloton, a solid rider and an excellent domestique, but he ain't no Julich.
Not talking results. I'm talking talent.

Huge difference.

Julich was a huge talent too. Nothing taken away from him.

I'm not saying Horner is in the same frame as Lemond. I'm saying Horner is in the discussion of the top cyclist the US has produced.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Afrank said:
Not adopting him, he is from Bend. Probably just spends a lot of time in California because its a good place for training. And he wants to win Amgen again.

https://twitter.com/#!/hornerakg
says Bend, Oregon on his twitter profile also.
I realize he lives there, I thought he was fro Cali. My mistake.
 
Jun 25, 2009
23
0
0
FYI --- I'd say he's a californian ... lives here a good part of the year, as well as in Bend.

"Horner was born in Ukenewe, Japan (his father was in the military) but he grew up in San Diego, California where he began his cycling career in the early 1990s before turning pro in 1995. "

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=10250

So much fun watching him race and listening to his comments about racing.
 
Mar 20, 2009
384
0
0
im sorry im not following this correctly.... so; if he'd won, you'd all be jumping on him explaining with "credble facts" on how he managed this at 40!? i thought anyone who even so much as spoke to LA, not less rode with him was guilty of something here?

whats the deal?
 
danjo007 said:
im sorry im not following this correctly.... so; if he'd won, you'd all be jumping on him explaining with "credble facts" on how he managed this at 40!? i thought anyone who even so much as spoke to LA, not less rode with him was guilty of something here?

whats the deal?
The deal is this.

At the age of 40, you're not allowed to win, but a podium is ok. Leader's jersey during the race is tolerated, but don't overdo it. ;)
 
Jun 1, 2011
2,441
0
0
Bavarianrider said:
Horner really should have a go at the Giro.
Better being a cpatain there, then working for Frandy in France.
I know he prefers Caliofronia. but i think he could really win the Giro.
Yes, the Giro or the Veulta would be better. I think he's looking down the road at what the H$$$ he's going to do with the rest of his life. The Cali and the TDF give him more face time in the US and possibly endorsement $$ down the road.

He has two or three kids so he's like Jens in that regard. I think he would make a great team director. He would have to give up the candid interviews though.
 
Mar 31, 2010
16,174
0
0
horner is so incredible. I hope he can keep improving and also work on his itt now.

btw isn't horner born in okinawa? the place where people become the oldest in the world. how ironic :)
 
Jun 1, 2011
2,441
0
0
Polyarmour said:
The deal is this.

At the age of 40, you're not allowed to win, but a podium is ok. Leader's jersey during the race is tolerated, but don't overdo it. ;)
He explained how he did well here. His team (Cancellara and his Milan San Remo squad) put him in position (TTT) to take the jersey on Stage 4 where he took fifth on the coat tails of the Sagan train. The steeper it gets, the better Horner can hang.

The Tivo was enough of a climb (you still allowed to climb well at 40) to select the podium.

Horner was originally slated for PN where he might have cracked the top 20.

Go back to the original TA thread. When I heard he was going to TA and looked at the profiles with a Cancellara TTT, I posted he could do well in TA if he had form.

Oh dear, its not like experience would help him here. The Cancellator was a big factor here to keep him up front. Horner's just getting GC protection now.
But he's self promoting a little to say he's welcome as GCer in a GT.

Stage hunting would suit him better outside the TdF.
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Hmm. If not from Cali then he sure spends a helluva lot of time here.:D

We'll go ahead an adopt him.
Chris grew up all over but his racing career started in San Diego. He started racing as a Cat 4 with a San Diego team called Swamis when he was 18/19. He was a freak from the start. Turn Pro in 3 years, moved to Europe with FDJ 2 years later. He, Floyd, VDV, and Dave Z are the most talented riders the US has produced for 20 years.

For years he has split his time between Bend and SD. His ex-wife and kids live in Bend and he spends Winters in SD.

No In and Out Burger in Bend
 
Aug 9, 2010
5,284
0
0
Race Radio said:
Chris grew up all over but his racing career started in San Diego. He started racing as a Cat 4 with a San Diego team called Swamis when he was 18/19. He was a freak from the start. Turn Pro in 3 years, moved to Europe with FDJ 2 years later. He, Floyd, VDV, and Dave Z are the most talented riders the US has produced for 20 years.

For years he has split his time between Bend and SD. His ex-wife and kids live in Bend and he spends Winters in SD.

No In and Out Burger in Bend
lol


I'll be down by Swami's in a week and a half. :)
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
horner is so incredible. I hope he can keep improving and also work on his itt now.

btw isn't horner born in okinawa? the place where people become the oldest in the world. how ironic :)
Yeah, the let old man beat all the youngsters when he turns 50. Btw Okinawa is know for its veggies and fruit not burger and fries.
 
Race Radio said:
Chris grew up all over but his racing career started in San Diego. He started racing as a Cat 4 with a San Diego team called Swamis when he was 18/19. He was a freak from the start. Turn Pro in 3 years, moved to Europe with FDJ 2 years later. He, Floyd, VDV, and Dave Z are the most talented riders the US has produced for 20 years.

For years he has split his time between Bend and SD. His ex-wife and kids live in Bend and he spends Winters in SD.

No In and Out Burger in Bend
why is levi not on that list? You don't think he's as talented as dz and vdv ?
 
Mar 18, 2009
715
0
0
The Hitch said:
why is levi not on that list? You don't think he's as talented as dz and vdv ?
With all due respect Hitch, I think you're missing the point here. Levi, Julich and other Americans have all won some races in Europe. That disqualifies them as being "talented" which is totally different from having results. Talent is the opposite of winning, it amounts to a kind of moral and spiritual quality, that ineffable how do you say it, je ne sais quoi, which certain riders have, and which marks them as a breed apart. Hinault didn't have it, Indurain didn't have--maybe no European rider has ever it it. But you know it when you see it. It's that gleam in the eye Horner has, as the sunlight reflects off his head, it's a grandeur of spirit which embiggens his small stature and palmares, it goes beyond winning, and the sport itself. It is "Talent," which only shows itself to those who know how to see beyond the shallow trappings of success lesser mortals value. As Eddy M once said, "Winners never quit, and real winners never really win." Or something like that.
 
Jun 15, 2010
15
0
0
Wallace said:
With all due respect Hitch, I think you're missing the point here. Levi, Julich and other Americans have all won some races in Europe. That disqualifies them as being "talented" which is totally different from having results. Talent is the opposite of winning, it amounts to a kind of moral and spiritual quality, that ineffable how do you say it, je ne sais quoi, which certain riders have, and which marks them as a breed apart. Hinault didn't have it, Indurain didn't have--maybe no European rider has ever it it. But you know it when you see it. It's that gleam in the eye Horner has, as the sunlight reflects off his head, it's a grandeur of spirit which embiggens his small stature and palmares, it goes beyond winning, and the sport itself. It is "Talent," which only shows itself to those who know how to see beyond the shallow trappings of success lesser mortals value. As Eddy M once said, "Winners never quit, and real winners never really win." Or something like that.
this is genius
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS