• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

R.I.P Paul Sherwen

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
I heard from a source (admittedly not the most credible one) that is was suicide. Makes sense given his age, fitness level and lack of prior illness.

If cause of death is not mentioned in a news story, suicide is most likely the reason why.
What a shame.
I recently have been watching cycling classic videos on youtube of races back in the late 80s and early 90s narrated by Phil And Paul, and I forgot how good they were.
I know Liggett takes a bit of a pounding here, but the combination of Paul and Phil was truly outstanding commentary. They complimented each other very well and Paul will be missed.
Phil must feel like he lost a limb, and I feel terrible for the guy. Condolensces to family and friends of Paul.

Re: Re:

the delgados said:
Amazinmets87 said:
I heard from a source (admittedly not the most credible one) that is was suicide. Makes sense given his age, fitness level and lack of prior illness.

If cause of death is not mentioned in a news story, suicide is most likely the reason why.
What a shame.
I recently have been watching cycling classic videos on youtube of races back in the late 80s and early 90s narrated by Phil And Paul, and I forgot how good they were.
I know Liggett takes a bit of a pounding here, but the combination of Paul and Phil was truly outstanding commentary. They complimented each other very well and Paul will be missed.
Phil must feel like he lost a limb, and I feel terrible for the guy. Condolensces to family and friends of Paul.

I think to a point it's more Phil not really knowing what's going on anymore. Paul having to correct him. Yes, watching older YouTube videos, they were great doing commentary at one time.

Re:

Carols said:
Autopsy shows heart failure. Why are people so quick to jump on other rumors with no basis??? Always thinking the worst :(
Nature abhors a vacuum, and the point is rightly made above that in cases where a cause of death isn’t quickly announced, concerning a physically healthy individual younger than retirement age, it’s become all too frequent that there has been only one outcome. Speculation is only natural.

I have to say, I’m relieved to hear it was heart failure, but at the same time no less sad that he’s gone.

Re:

Carols said:
Autopsy shows heart failure. Why are people so quick to jump on other rumors with no basis??? Always thinking the worst :(

I can think of a lot more terrible ways of dying than one that is self induced, but that is neither here nor there. My speculation (key word) was based on someone I know in the industry who told me that death by suicide is sometimes left out of the report.

I was not jumping to conclusions, but I can see how my comment might come across as if I knew what happened.

TRENDING THREADS