• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Challenge II

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Merry Christmas! Here are stage 28 votes. For week 4 evaluation, Santa and his elves will need more time :eek:

JUDGE 1:

Gigs_98 T: 4 C: 4
I dig having a procession stage for a finale of such a tough GT. There is nothing else you could have done culturally either.

Brullnux T: 3 C: 2
I love the idea of an ITT up Pompeii from Vesuvius, but not the last day. I really think the race had to finish in Rome.

Rghysens T: 2 C: 3
There may be disagreement among the judges, but for me, this is not the time for a stage such as this. A nice enough stage in its own right, but like Brullnux, I am marking you down for something that feels wrong to me in the context of such a brutal tour.

mb2612 T: 3 C: 4
Although I would have preferred a sprint, I think an ITT is the next best thing. You have done a decent job in that context. Like Gigs, you have hit the right cultural notes.

JUDGE 2:

Gigs_98 T: 4 C: 4
How can you not merit the same kind of consideration as Brullnux's last stage without it being unfair? I like the fact that as this is a road stage (as opposed to mb2612's TT which allows more freedom in terms of roads used) you've crammed as much as you can in while still staying true to rider safety, because after 28 stages of pure sadomasochism, whatever remains of the peloton will be keen to avoid anything too dangerous when they arrive in Rome itself. Imagine crashing out of this race on the final day...

Brullnux T: 5 C: 3
You're the one that broke the mould on the finish in Rome, but this is a great and innovative way to finish. Having all the celebrations overlooking the preserved city would be glorious. I had to bump your cultural score down because of the rules and the fact it's not a Rome finish made it the easiest to accept the lower score on. Truth be told, it's a far from perfect stage, but you deserve 8 overall for this as a finale so I've bumped up the technical to compensate.

Rghysens T: 3 C: 4
More interesting than a parade finish but not the most exciting one technically - culturally it's brilliant, but as I'm sure you're well aware the problem is everybody's finishing in Rome, so a stage that would have been worth an easy 5 on most days is nudged down with the day of the finale.

mb2612 T: 3 C: 5
The reverse issue to Brullnux; I would have preferred the closing TT to be a bit more decisive in length, however honouring all seven hills of ancient Rome is, like so many of your stages, a cultural home run that covers for some of the concerns on the technical side.

JUDGE 3:

Gigs_98 T: 3 C: 4
Totally ok with a possible bunch sprint here, and adding some uncertainty in it is nicely done.

Brullnux T: 4 C: 3
I really appreciate the idea of starting in Pompei, and and it's a great ending technically, I'm not that fond of finishing such a historic race on a mountaintop rather than in the very city itself.

I like giving a chance for a final desperate GC attempt. Also can't do much wrong with Via Appia

mb2612 T: 2 C: 5
I love the idea of going back to the very foundation of Rome with the last stage, but a 15km tt is very unlikely to have a significant impact on the GC

JUDGE 4:

Gigs_98 T: 3 C: 4
As a final parade, it's ok. Nice start location, I was almost gonna give you 5 cultural points...

Brullnux T: 4 C: 3
This stage would deserve much more culturally, but as the final stage of the Tour of Roman Empire, I believe it just doesn't cut it. Techincally, it's very interesting, although I'm not totally convinced.

Rghysens T: 3 C: 5
It was very hard to decide who to give 5 cultural points between you and Gigs. In the end, I decided to go for Via Appia and Capua.

mb2612 T: 4 C: 4
Short timetrial, I like it as the end of a GT, even as gigantic as this one.

CLASSIFICATION FOR STAGE 28

Gigs_98: 31
mb2612: 30
Rghysens: 27
Brullnux: 27

CLASSIFICATION AFTER STAGE 28:

rghysens: 1089
mb2612: 1036
Gigs_98: 997
Brullnux: 949

Re:

Red Rick said:
I may be grasping here, but how much work would it be to make a map from all stages if you already have all the designs? I think it would look **** cool

In Openrunner (which I used), you can only show 10 stages at a time on an overall map. I know you can make several printscreens of it, and stick them together in photoshop or so, but I'm no whizzkid and I actually don't want to spent too much time on it. Maybe i'll try next week if I can come up with something decent, but don't count on it.

Re: Re:

rghysens said:
Red Rick said:
I may be grasping here, but how much work would it be to make a map from all stages if you already have all the designs? I think it would look **** cool

In Openrunner (which I used), you can only show 10 stages at a time on an overall map. I know you can make several printscreens of it, and stick them together in photoshop or so, but I'm no whizzkid and I actually don't want to spent too much time on it. Maybe i'll try next week if I can come up with something decent, but don't count on it.
I don't think I'd mind it that much if it's 3 different maps. Please don't waste too much time on my account :eek:

I updated my summary post with a map. Sorry for the bad resolution but I guess thats what happens if you make too many screenshots of the same picture. Btw, some of the stages on my map might not be identical to the stages I posted. Thats because I made this map with openrunner, where I usually create my races before I create the profiles for the stage with cronoescalada. However ofc sometimes I change a few things on cronoescalada so my openrunner stages aren't necessarily exactly the same as my cronoescalada stages.

Gigs_98 said:
I updated my summary post with a map. Sorry for the bad resolution but I guess thats what happens if you make too many screenshots of the same picture. Btw, some of the stages on my map might not be identical to the stages I posted. Thats because I made this map with openrunner, where I usually create my races before I create the profiles for the stage with cronoescalada. However ofc sometimes I change a few things on cronoescalada so my openrunner stages aren't necessarily exactly the same as my cronoescalada stages.
Looks very cool

Well, we finally made it people. Congratulations to the winner (spoiler alert!) and thanks to all participants and judges. I think we all deserve a break from parcours now :D

JUDGE 1:

Gigs_98 T: 5 C: 3
The best fourth week in terms of technical content. I loved pretty much all your mountain stages, as well as the sterrato one. It's a bit of a shame that the cultural side isn't as impressive, but of course one can't have everything...

Brullnux T: 3 C: 3
Overall, I think you could've made harder stages in this week. I also think your idea of finishing the race on the Vesuvius was brave, but I didn't like it that much, especially since it likely took away one place for a proper mountain stage.

Rghysens T: 4 C: 4
This week wraps up your race in a good, albeit not excellent fashion. Your last few stages are a bit underwhelming on the technical side, and I don't really like the placement of the ITT. That said, it's still a good week on all accounts.

Culturally, this is the best of the lot, as you are probably used to by now. However, I do think you've tried to focus more on the technical side, sacrificing the culture, thus why you don't get 5 there. I definitely commend you for the idea of having a roman themed citation for each stage, as it was the most original touch out of all the players. Technically, the route comes together well, without going crazy. But in this kind of a challenge, that's not a positive thing.

JUDGE 2:

Reviewing it now, this was the best week in terms of how it all tied together. Something for all tastes, and plenty of time for the GC to stage significantly, with an ITT, sterrato and climbing stages all in the final few days. And I am giving you the 5 for finishing with a bunch gallop in Rome. Culturally, you have suffered from the race not really feeling “Roman”, albeit this wasn’t really as pronounced as you moved to the peninsula in the final week.

Brullnux T: 3 C: 3
A real mixed bag here, with some great stages, and some puzzling decisions. I didn’t like the way you avoided Rome to finish. I did like the ITT up Vesuvius, but maybe it could have been done a stage or two earlier. Stage 24 is a thing of beauty. Ugly beauty maybe as it could kill a few participants, but beauty nonetheless. Culturally, it was not a bad week at all, but not the best either.I mark you up for the idea of Vesuvius ITT, but down (technically) for its placement.

I liked your stages a lot, but I really didn’t like the way you finished your tour. It felt wrong. I really think you guys have made your final weeks too tough, with nothing for sprinters in the final week. That said, there were some technically excellent stages, particularly at the start of the final week. Culturally, you were good most of the time.

There are a lot of very good stages in there, but somehow it doesn’t fit right. I would have preferred maybe one flat(ish) stage to mix it up and maybe your penultimate stage could have been even harder if you had done that. Culturally, you were on course for a 5, but I was very disappointed with the penultimate stage from that perspective.

JUDGE 3:

Technically, both an amazing and savage last week. 3 huge mountain stages with the hardest climb from more than 50km out, there’s little negative to say about that. Add a long TT, which I underrate as I was out of 4s for that stage and I had to get nitpicky about distance. Last GC stage being a huge dirt road stage is great. Could be both a chance for any rider that is behind on GC, not just if you have the edge in the TT or uphill. Culturally it got a bit tough on you as the others were approaching Rome from the south, where you can combine mountains with better cultural heritage.

Brullnux T: 3 C: 4
A mostly hilly last week. That, a flat stage, an MTT, and one of the most savage stages to come from this challenge, make for a decent last week. But then probably only 3 stages guarantee action, and the competition is pretty stiff at this point in the race. Culturally it’s very good.

Rghysens T: 4 C: 4
Very good last week as well. Even the flat stage is tricky enough to not be a total bore, and you that ultra stage is probably the best stage in the entire challenge. The stage before that is great as well, as well as the TT, but because of those stages I think the other hilly stages sort of lose their edge in terms of GC relevance. Culturally, you find a few good places in every stage, and there’s very few things you can do wrong with Capua and Via Appia.

mb2612 T: 4 C: 5
A last week that’s quite relentless. No flat stages at all, and basically every stage has a kick near the end. I feel the last Ultra Stage misses the mark a bit, but the last journey into the mountains is great. Culturally, you get the maximum score, as you’ve scored the maximum 3 times in the last week and you’re averaging more than 4 points per stage in the last week on my count.

JUDGE 4:

Gigs_98 T: 4 C: 3
You have the opposite problem to mb2612; while you've designed a series of great stages and paid great honour to cycling history, often the Roman links are simply that these towns existed in those times rather than any significant cultural link. However, there are some monster stages here, finishing off with the strade bianche could be amazing and you use some real monster passes. The one thing that prevents the full 5 is that the stage with Crostis and Zoncolan comes the day before a long ITT, so with Zoncolan being some way from the finish it might affect the willingness to race on once the monster has made its selection.

Brullnux T: 3 C: 4
I like the creativity with the Via Appia stage after the sterrato and the finishing MTT (which shouldn't dull racing before it as the type of rider favoured will be so different to the previous days and the Via Appia stage is so short), but there were a few bits of general oddness that I wasn't wholly on board with, plus stage 23 had that classic "better in reverse" flaw. Culturally I think you were the only one who still had the Pont du Gard in their back pocket, plus the Vesuvius finish as well as Rome gave you some very strong focal points.

Rghysens T: 4 C: 3
Like Gigs, you have a series of great stages here, beginning the week with some serious mountains and spreading them well through the week. Even the flat stages have some cause for intrigue. However, I'm not totally convinced by the final stage and the Sorrento stage doesn't quite grab me as a big finale for the race in the same way as the strade bianche or the Via Appia stages do. The Verona stage is possibly my favourite use of the ultra stage, though.

If I'm altogether honest, I'm not 100% sold on your final week. Because you'd already used your travelling north from Italy in week 1, it meant a lot of great cycling terrain with Roman heritage went unused. The Potenza and Caposele stages could be great if there's still some GC intrigue, however, as the final TT is very short. The cultural points as ever help you out, with some key locations and it's clear that you've paid very good attention to detail on the cultural side of things all through the race.

CLASSIFICATION FOR WEEK 4 (x5)

Gigs_98: 31 --> 155
mb2612: 30 --> 150
Rghysens: 30 --> 150
Brullnux: 26 --> 130

FINAL CLASSIFICATION!!!:

rghysens: 1239
mb2612: 1186
Gigs_98: 1147
Brullnux: 1079

Congrats to rghysens, your route was absolutely incredible, and also congrats to the other participants.

To judge 4, the last ITT wasn't the day after the zoncolan stage because there was a restday between. I forgot to write that somewhere since I thought it would be obvious anyway because the transfer would have been way too long. :eek:

I'd like to congratulate rghysens on winning the most epic contest the internet has to offer.

I'd also like to congratulate Brullnux, mb2612 and Gigs_98 with their efforts, all of you have come up with great routes. Also shoutout to Eshnar for creating this great, crazy challenge.

I must say I've really enjoyed this thread for the past months. I think that as a sport, cycling is uniquely suited to pay tribute not only it's own history, but to history in general, and for me that's part of the reason this challenge works well. Combining some of the craziest race design with honoring such a big part of history makes for one of the more unique threads on this forum for me. I've never been a big history buff, but this challenge has gotten me more interested in parts of history than school ever has.

It's been fun grading these routes and really try to imagine what would happen should they really be raced. It's been more of a struggle to find points to criticize than vice versa. In terms of cultural points, you can probably find people more suited to judging, but whatevs. I mainly looked at things said in the write ups, and googled stuff if they were brief.

The only downsides of the challenge have been the duration and the relatively small amount of participants. I guess both were kind of to be expected. I can only imagine the time that has gone into designing these routes. But then, I think the end result is great, and I don't think this was ever a challenge to be repeated very frequently.

I thought it was a great effort from all concerned.

Technically, I felt there was very little in it when comparing the routes. But as a judge, I kept finding myself giving the eventual winner 4s and 5s culturally.

I would agree with Brullnux - I would be all over a 1 week challenge like a rash. In fact, I am going to start trash talking rghysens soon about who the real champ is. Only a war can resolve it.

Well done to everyone, particularly Eshnar in organising it.

My preference would be for a short stage race, which could be anywhere in the world, but has to have say at least one flat, hilly, mountain and tt stage. That way you don't get a lot of people doing identical stages, and also it allows for more people to join, as everyone can pick a location they know pretty well.