• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Thread

Page 217 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Valv.Piti said:
Libertine, where are your Murritos? Its not a proper Vuelta without at least 5.
I'm trying to mix it up with some old school Vuelta behaviour. Besides, although it wasn't a HTF, you don't think a 1,4km climb with 600m @ 14% in the middle counts as a Murito? The riders have to do that 12 times in stage 1 :p and there's a 25km MTF on stage 4, which is Guillén terrain.

There aren't really any super-steep Murito finishes in the whole race in this edition actually, though there are a number of uphill finishes ranging from long and drawn out to short and punchy. However there's more of them than you might get from a real Vuelta that have come out of the Isidro Nozal school of grinding climbing, to make the super-lightweights work a bit harder to isolate them.

Wait a second, I thought it would have to end on the climb to call it a Murito? It probably hasn't, I have just got so accustomed not to see any hard climbs before the last climb! Makes sense. I also didnt realise that it was that hard, I just looked at the average gradient and thought to myself if Guillén ever saw your stage he woulda popped a wine from Burgos, grabbed a steak and laughed all the way to August. I mean, 7%? ;)

Jokes aside, I for one actually like the spectacle of Murito finishes, it was especially glorious in 2012. Maybe a few too many. Some would argue. Even I would. Anyways, always following your work, keep it up (not that I have to tell you that, you are doing just fine by yourself).
Awesome exchange :D . I'll keep your comments in mind as I'm working on a Vuelta of my own. I like muritos too.

Right now, I'm really struggling to find (small) climb names... :mad: I deleted, deleted, deleted, and am now back to working on stage 3. It will take a while, but if it turns out as I envision it, that will be a nice Vuelta.

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
It seems like Libertine and I are covering almost the same place right now... hopefully there won't be too much confusion.
Vuelta a Castilla-La Mancha Stage 4: Tarancón - Guadalajara, 191km
107rgo7.png

jzgpr9.png

Climbs: Alhóndiga (5,9km @ 3,9%), Pastrana (6km @ 4,5%), Pioz (2,9km @ 7,5%), Renera (3,8km @ 5,7%), Fuentelviejo (2,7km 5,2%), Horche (4,5km @ 4,4%)

The second-to last stage is a very hilly one, taking place in the area to the southeast of the city of Guadalajara. Six categorized climbs, all short and not too steep, the last of them being Horche, about 15km away from the end of the stage.
horche01.gif

This stage will probably favor good classics riders, but the climbs may be a bit too easy to get away from a big group. If the pace is high, though, such a group may not exist. Riders aiming for the general classification will have to be extra careful not to drop off the pace here.

Tonton said:
Valv.Piti said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Valv.Piti said:
Libertine, where are your Murritos? Its not a proper Vuelta without at least 5.
I'm trying to mix it up with some old school Vuelta behaviour. Besides, although it wasn't a HTF, you don't think a 1,4km climb with 600m @ 14% in the middle counts as a Murito? The riders have to do that 12 times in stage 1 :p and there's a 25km MTF on stage 4, which is Guillén terrain.

There aren't really any super-steep Murito finishes in the whole race in this edition actually, though there are a number of uphill finishes ranging from long and drawn out to short and punchy. However there's more of them than you might get from a real Vuelta that have come out of the Isidro Nozal school of grinding climbing, to make the super-lightweights work a bit harder to isolate them.

Wait a second, I thought it would have to end on the climb to call it a Murito? It probably hasn't, I have just got so accustomed not to see any hard climbs before the last climb! Makes sense. I also didnt realise that it was that hard, I just looked at the average gradient and thought to myself if Guillén ever saw your stage he woulda popped a wine from Burgos, grabbed a steak and laughed all the way to August. I mean, 7%? ;)

Jokes aside, I for one actually like the spectacle of Murito finishes, it was especially glorious in 2012. Maybe a few too many. Some would argue. Even I would. Anyways, always following your work, keep it up (not that I have to tell you that, you are doing just fine by yourself).
Awesome exchange :D . I'll keep your comments in mind as I'm working on a Vuelta of my own. I like muritos too.

Right now, I'm really struggling to find (small) climb names... :mad: I deleted, deleted, deleted, and am now back to working on stage 3. It will take a while, but if it turns out as I envision it, that will be a nice Vuelta.

Wait, Tonton, are you doing a Vuelta? I thought you didnt know any roads outside of France. :D

Looking forward to it, I remember you TdF you posted a while back which definitely was one of the best races I have seen in here.

Vuelta a Navarra Stage 5: Irutzun - Elizondo 192km

Sorry about the mahoosive delay, here is a quick round up of all the stages so far:

Stage 1: Pamplona - Pamplona ITT
22px-Time_Trial.svg.png

Stage 2: Pamplona - Olite
22px-Hillystage.svg.png

Stage 3: Olite - Tafalla
22px-Plainstage.svg.png

Stage 4: Estella - Lekunberri
22px-Mountainstage.svg.png

gJt5MAu.png

RBcXYEZ.jpg

This stage takes us from the Sierra de Aralar into the Baztan Valley, a luscious verdant area in the north east of Navarra, on the border with France and under the Pyrenees.

After the last stage's mountains, this stage is the perfect opportunity gain back some of the time lost on said stage, the sterrato of Ujue and Olite and the short ITT. An intense medium mountain stage distancing 192km and taking in almost 4000m of climbing.

The stage starts in Irutzun, a town very near Lekunberri, and goes to the bottom of our first climb 55km into the race. Then we take on our circuit.

AY2RWoi.jpg

It is not the easiest of circuits. 45 kilometres long, it has over 1000m of climbing per loop with two real climbs both over 4km long, a hard uncategorised climb and an easy one. The first loop I expect the riders to look to find a feel for the circuit and the climbs and the roads, before going hard on the second circuit. The first 25k of the circuit are purely uphill or downhill. The last 20 are flat. The flat will break the rhythm before restarting the loop. I don't expect any attacks 60+km from the finish unfortunately, so any moves here are unlikely.

pHYhiMj.jpg

However, when the next loop starts, they will come. Some will come on the first climb, 4.6k @ 8.6%, others on the first bump which is 2km @ 6.2%, not very steep so I don't expect many here, and others on the last climb. It averages 8.2% and has a sections of over 12% and like so many Northern Spanish climbs, the average doesn't tell half the story. It is irregular, narrow but on a good surface, at least. It has 1km at 12%. This is the climb which I expect the decisive moves to come, although I hope some attacks come previously.

Vrrnlqj.jpg

The day finishes with 12k of descent and flat to Elizondo, the 'capital' of the municipality. It is a pretty town, with plenty of noble houses and 'palazos'. This is because it is said that those who went to the the Americas and made their fortunes, indianos who returned here and built their second houses here. Others are in the centre of Pamplona. these are usually distinctive because of their immaculate and spectacular facade. It also has a witches museum on the persecution of witches, and hosts a livestock fair on the 17th of January. A cow is walked through the streets and then is raffled. in July, there is the fiesta of the valley.
DBZCZKO.jpg

Stage 9: Burgos - Cueva el Soplao, 189km

35iyxb6.png

igvled.png

GPM:
Alto de Brañosera (cat.3) 7,1km @ 4,7%
Puerto de Palombera (cat.3) 6,0km @ 5,4%
Collado Carmona (cat.3) 4,9km @ 7,2%
Collado Ozalba (cat.2) 5,7km @ 6,8%
Cueva El Soplao (cat.2) 7,0km @ 6,3%

After the tough MTF on Saturday, we have a comparatively easy one on Sunday, the final day before the rest day. And this is classic Vuelta intermediate territory, with a stage which is fairly tame on the surface but should be difficult to control with no need to fear the following day and with GC gaps having been hopefully opened up by the two days in Melilla, Cruz de la Demanda and the Sierra de Espuña climbs.

burgos_spain.jpg

A short trip from Ezcaray takes us to the stage start, in Burgos. Burgos province of course is where the Vuelta's traditional warmup race (since the move to September, anyway) takes place, but it is a city which has appeared in the Spanish Grand Tour consistently throughout its existence - eight finishes in the last 15 years (not including the 2015 ITT) along with a further six stage starts, which is the role it has today. In many ways it's making up for lost time; its proximity to several regular Vuelta hosts in the early days (Santander, Vitória-Gasteiz, Bilbao, Reinosa, Eibar, Logroño) and especially at the time when the Vuelta traditionally finished in País Vasco, it would often be passed through but not stopped in; it was not until 1966 that the race stopped here, with Henk Nijdam winning a stage from Logroño to Burgos, then the Dutchman's compatriot Gerben Karstens winning the subsequent stage to Santander.

Frequently the city has served as a transit point from the high plateau of Castilla y León to the lower mountains of Cantabria and (more frequently in the 60s and 70s but obviously very rarely since) País Vasco. Indeed, in 2010 and 2013 it was the starting point for stages at the current belle of Cantabrian cycling, Peña Cabarga. And it reprises that role for us here, just to a different mountaintop.

Before that, however, the first 80km or so of the stage are flat, and they lead us through the plateau that we're used to from the Vuelta a Burgos as we head north north west towards the Sierra de Cantabria. We briefly touch upon the Provincia de Palencia, a narrow strip of Castilla y León including a small section of mountains but otherwise flat; it does, however, contain the city of Aguilar de Campoo, which hosts an intermediate sprint as the second spot in the route to honour the hometown of a historic cycling hero.

00432537.jpg

This small city is actually across the provincial boundary from the Cantabrian village of Cuena, but it served as the hometown to Alberto Fernández, a gifted climber who turned pro after winning the national mountain bike championships in the late 1970s. After a couple of years of acclimatising to racing on the road, Alberto developed a knack for racing in the mountains, winning the Vuelta al País Vasco in 1980, vaulting Miguel María Lasa and Marino Lejarreta in the final MTT to the Collado Elosua, and twice took the Vuelta a los Valles Mineros, a tricky short stage race in Asturias. After being one of a number of riders to test positive for ritalin at the 1982 Vuelta (including winner Ángel Arroyo, whose overall victory was passed to Lejarreta), his team reinstated him and he repaid them with a top 10 at the Tour despite the relative lack of team support at Teka. After winning the Volta a Catalunya, he moved on to Zor, at which point his career took off. In 1983, in quick succession he managed the podium of the Vuelta - winning a mountain stage to Castellar de'n Hug and wearing the leader's jersey for three days - and of the Giro - winning two mountain stages this time, to Campitello Matese and Colli di San Fermo - to show that he had truly arrived. The following year, he focused on the Vuelta to the exclusion of all else, and it came very, very close to paying off - trying desperately to claw back the time needed in the Sierra de Madrid and then in the final ITT (unlike many Spanish climbers over the years, Fernández was reasonably good against the clock) to overhaul Éric Caritoux, falling just six seconds short - the narrowest victory margin in any GT to date. But his time at the top was to be short-lived; he never got another chance to right that near-miss at the Vuelta, for on December 14th 1984, a month shy of his 30th birthday, Alberto and his wife were killed in a car accident when travelling near Aranda de Duero; ever since, the highest peak of the Vuelta has borne the appellation "Cima Alberto Fernández". Certainly part of that veneration has come because he died first; there are many other legendary deceased climbers who the honour could have gone to - Ocaña, Fuente, Jiménez for starters - but it does mean that this often overlooked rider, a great might-have-been story, gets some permanent recognition for their achievement, and it's hard to be against that.

FERNANDEZ.jpg

Alberto was nicknamed "El Galleta", or "the biscuit", owing to the traditional produce of Aguilar de Campoo, in which several factories producing the foodstuffs is located; the riders may want to stop for a snack to get some energy into them ahead of the second half of the stage, for there are a number of climbs to come.

First up is the Alto de Brañosera, which is the same as the first 7km of this profile - so nothing really too mean. The descent is fairly gradual and takes us past Reinosa, a classic of the early Vueltas. We then pass over one of the many truly lopsided climbs that signal the transition from the northern mountains to the high plateau - La Sia, Estacas de Trueba, Orduña, Escudo, Pajáres, Urkiola, Ventana, San Isidro, Somiedo, Piedrasluengas, San Glorio; they number many, and strangely here with Palombera, we have one of the more balanced ones - the southern side, while hardly a stupendous challenge, is at least a legitimate climb with the last 4km at over 7% average.

11373.jpg

The short ascent gives way however to a very long and fast descent which luckily is lacking in steep gradients and is in very good condition so should not present a problem. At the base of the descent, with around 45km remaining, there are three more climbs crammed in. First up is the Collado Carmona; we are climbing the shorter, steeper eastern side which is just about a cat.3 (the Vuelta sometimes overcategorizes things, but this is the easiest of the last 3 climbs and I think 3 is fine), named after the scenic village in its descent towards the small town of Puentenansa, which hosts the second intermediate sprint of the day. You can see the road snaking around below:

foto_18886.jpg

After this we head up the Collado Ozalba, a seemingly benign but deceptively tricky climb; indeed it has some myth and legend in the Vuelta because this is where the Movistar and Tinkoff domestiques laid the trap that was later turned into greatness by Alberto Contador on the subsequent Collado de Hoz; however there will be no Hoz today, for instead of heading straight over to the next climb, we turn right and head to the north, once more crossing the river and heading up to our so-called MTF (a relatively straightforward second category ascent) - the slopes leading up to the beautiful underground complex of the Cueva el Soplao.

fantasmas.jpg

about_6.jpg

This mighty cave complex has a pretty sizable car park and is accessed via a tricky mountain road. At 7km in length and just 6,3% it seems fairly straightforward, but it wears all its toughest gradients at the bottom - the first 2km average 8,9% and have a maximum ramp of 16%, so this is far from inconsiderable given nine days of tough racing to date. These early kilometres also provide the best platform to attack from, although the comparatively easy last three kilometres do include some short sharp repechos at up to 11% as you can see from the profile. The road is perfectly wide open and twisty, and should give some scenic racing at this time of year as well.

soplao.jpg

As an even bigger bonus, people at Cueva el Soplao love cycling; they sponsor an amateur team with an awesome kit and hosted the finish at the 2009 Spanish national championships, which were won in a surprise result by Rubén Plaza, who at the time was exiled to the Portuguese Liberty Seguros Continental team, but he was able to prove the strongest on the final climb against LA-Paredes' Tino Zaballa along with Alejandro Valverde, Igor Antón and Mikel Astarloza. That race came with a much easier run-in than this, however the field had less depth as many rouleurs simply didn't show up knowing that they had little chance on the difficult finish at Cueva El Soplao. In a GT that's less of an option, but still the climb is not so difficult that people can't move beforehand. It could end up being one for the break, it could be a small-gaps-in-the-final-20-minutes charge up the final 7km climb, or it could be total carnage on the last three climbs. That's part of the beauty of it; we just don't know.

Valv.Piti said:
Wait, Tonton, are you doing a Vuelta? I thought you didnt know any roads outside of France. :D

Looking forward to it, I remember you TdF you posted a while back which definitely was one of the best races I have seen in here.
Thanks for the compliment, considering the awesome designs that are posted here.

I love Spain, we have a family vacation home near Girona (no, my real name is not Lance :D ), so I know the area, and for the rest, I have spent time in the Pais Vasco, near Valencia, and other seaside areas (Alicante, Malaga) on summers when we rented our house in both July and August. I love Spain. My desire to post a Vuelta is mostly due to the '16 course that I find crappy. Same as usual, I want to show that one can come up with a course that ALL the people of Spain (in this case) can enjoy roadside.

But it's hard...very hard...I must be missing sites that give me climb names, particularly the small ones...

altimetrias.net is your one-stop shop for Spanish climbs.

Stage 10: Torrelavega (Complejo Deportivo Óscar Freire) - Santillana de Mar (Cuevas de Altamira), 49,2km (CRI)

34zgbyu.png

15x3mhg.png

The first day after the rest day is the longest contrarreloj of the race, a near 50km test against the clock that should be a really difficult struggle for supremacy at the top of the GC; it is not an easy one by any stretch of the imagination. In honouring greats of Spanish cycling's past, Torrelavega was a must; it is the hometown of not one but two completely different past heroes of the sport - and, it must also be said, neither of whom would much care for a 50km chrono!

face83570218a47e935356c425dcd964.jpg

The stage will start at a velodrome to the north of the city, which indeed hosted the stage start of the 2006 transitional stage from Torrelavega to Burgos and was won from the break by Egoi Martínez. The choice of this otherwise fairly nondescript sporting complex, with its oversized velodrome surrounding an athletics track and artificial pitches, is that it is rebuilt and renamed to honour arguably Spain's greatest ever sprinter, the mighty Óscar Freire. Óscarcito as he is affectionately dubbed is one of the great legends of his era, known for the stories of his whimsical and disconnected approach to the sport as much as his achievements - and when said achievements include three wins in Sanremo and three wins in the World Championships, you know that's saying something. The first of his three wins came after he went to Verona almost just to add some domestique legs to make up the numbers in the Spanish team, but after a quiet and injury-hit year, he was able to make the right groups, and then won uncharacteristically with a tactical move at a kilometre to go as the favourites marked one another. It was seen by some as a potentially disastrous win, a veritable no-name taking the rainbow jersey out of nowhere, but subsequent performances showed us Óscarcito was of course no fluke.

One of the most popular stories about Freire was about him forgetting the name of his hotel in Lisbon ahead of the 2001 World Championships, getting lost on a training ride and having no way to get back - but it didn't matter, he still won when race day came. He once forgot his cycling shoes and started a race in sneakers, changing mid-race. He once turned to a teammate in the run-in of a circuit race to ask how many laps were remaining, to be met with the response "we're in the final kilometre!!!" - and then rode to the front and won the sprint. The longer and tougher a race got, the more likely Freire was to be there at the end; after 160km he would regularly be outmuscled by larger and tougher sprinters, but after 260km he was a force to be reckoned with... he's also, perversely enough, one of the last people to really give us an exciting run-in at the Amstel Gold Race, after his repeated attempts to win from the sprint on the Cauberg proved unsuccessful so he tried a different approach, perhaps out of the Djamolidine Abdoujaparov school of thought. And of course, he's the one that won Milano-Sanremo while Erik Zabel was busy showboating in the most famous premature victory salute in cycling history.

previewrr-freire11.jpg

Torrelavega has another cycling legend behind it, however. Two, in fact - from way back in cycling history. The Trueba brothers very much encapsulate a lot about the mythos of Spanish cycling, especially of course Vicente, the elder of the two. The diminutive climber (he was similar in stature to Purito, if not slightly shorter) has had his legacy indelibly printed all over cycling history; one of the great traditions of the sport is to a great extent due to him. After unsuccessful early races at the Tour, there was no Spanish team in the 1932 edition, however Trueba, nicknamed La Pulga (the flea) de Torrelavega due to his diminutive stature, showed extremely strongly in the mountains, however due to descending skills that made Bahamontes look like Savoldelli, he gained little for his exploits. However, it is widely acknowledged that his performances were one of the driving forces behind Desgrange's introduction of the King of the Mountains classification (although the Giro introduced the GPM the same year), with Trueba being its first winner. It was his career high point; he was also 6th in the GC but never was able to repeat the success.

trueba_v2.jpg

(back in those days the Tourmalet had yet to wear out its welcome)

(Much) younger brother Fermín was also a successful cyclist who won a GPM, his being at the Vuelta in 1936. He was also a national champion in the road race once, and the national mountain champion (that was a thing) several times, as well as winning the Subida a Arantzazu, the Subida a Santo Domingo, the Subida al Naranco and the Clasica a los Puertos multiple times.

148312_570x717.jpg

So... yes. History lessons aside, this is not your conventional time trial, being full of up and down that will make pure power time trialling difficult. That said, it's a very similar route to that used in the 2004 and 2009 national championships, which were won by José Iván Gutiérrez and Alberto Contador respectively. Though there are no fewer than eight uphill sections in the ITT, the steepest is the first - which is only around 1100m at 7,5% - and roads are generally wide open and therefore while this is not going to suit pure diesel engines, it's also not quite time trialling the Amstel Gold route either. Much of the central section of the route was used in the run-in of a notorious stage in 2008, you can watch the closing stages here. In this stage, Alejandro Valverde slipped off the back of the bunch to collect a rain jacket, then a crash in bad weather split the field, and Valverde was caught behind. Every Caisse domestique except J-Rod dropped back to assist him, but the Green Bullet lost his cool and tried to chase across the gap, first solo, then accompanied by Sylvain Chavanel, completely cooking himself. A couple of days earlier, Euskaltel had got Egoi Martínez into a break that was being allowed to go, but Caisse wanted Astana to keep the jersey, first because it meant their domestiques had to expend energy to defend the jersey, and secondly because the longer Leipheimer kept the jersey, the more discontent between him and Contador it could foster. Euskaltel therefore were a bit irritated by Unzué's mob, so when Valverde was distanced they helped build up the time gap until he eventually lost 3 minutes on the inconsistent repechos of the run-in. Meanwhile, Paolo Bettini was determined to show Patrick Lefevère what a colossal mistake he was making by signing Stefan Schumacher and stating publicly that he was there to replace Bettini, and did so with a dominant display on the final uphill ramp in his final career win.

Suances_29071.jpg

We then circle back inland from the coast towards Santillana del Mar, because for the second consecutive day we're finishing at some famous caves; this time arguably the most famous of all, for the Cuevas de Altamira were the first place where primitive cave paintings were discovered. For this historic significance and the well-preserved nature of the site, it has been inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

esp-2-vis-5.jpg

Like the nearby El Soplao, these caves are known to cycling; the slight uphill ramp to the entrance hosted the Vuelta in 2006 (a day before the Torrelavega-Burgos stage mentioned previously) after an otherwise fairly straightforward stage along the north coast from Áviles (although that coast is hardly flat, lots of rolling terrain and repechos there); it was taken by the break with Sergio Paulinho winning to continue the dominating performance by the nascent Astana team (at that point still essentially a buyout of Liberty Seguros-Würth, before the Discovery merger) in that race. So we have a stage steeped in human history, in culture and in cycling history; we have relentlessly up-and-down terrain with no genuine sustained climbs, and we have one gruelling test against the clock. Seems like a good recipe for time gaps.

VistaAerea4.jpg

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Neat Cantabrian stages for Libertine's Vuelta.

Talking about Spain, time to wrap up my race.

Vuelta a Castilla-La Mancha Stage 5: Ocaña - Talavera de la Reina, 178km
2j2jn2x.png

30sverd.png

Climbs: Piélago (16,4km @ 4,9%)

The last stage takes us into the Toledo province (and briefly into the Madrid community, early on the stage), although not finishing in the famous namesake town but in Talavera de la Reina. The stage is mostly flat, with only one climb... which also happens to be the hardest climb of the entire race.
pielagosv56.gif

The climb to Puerto del Piélago is a long one, with an irregular first half followed by a very regular second half, with gradients consistently at 5-6%. The chief difficulty will be the sheer length of the climb, which climbers will try to take advantage of (with gaps possibly not being too big, a break here will almost certainly be decisive). The descent may turn out to be critical, both because of its length and because of some technical turns along the way. After the descent there's about 25km of rolling terrain until Talavera.
With this being the only "mountain" stage of the race, it's very likely we'll see riders attempt big moves at Piélago. If the leader gets into trouble he may have enough time to catch up after the descent, though. This is the last stage, so we'll almost certainly see some action here anyway.

Stage 11: Llanes - Tineo, 225km

nnqt89.png

feklsn.png

GPM:
Alto de la Sierra de los Vientos (cat.1) 6,9km @ 9,1%
Alto de Bustellán (cat.1) 13,2km @ 7,1%
Alto de Tineo (cat.3) 4,5km @ 6,5%

Now into Asturias, the home of some of the biggest and baddest climbs in Spain and some of the great legends of the Vuelta, the iconic passes of Pajáres, San Isidro, La Cobertoria, San Lorenzo, and the classic summits like Angliru, Monte Naranco and of course the Vuelta's most iconic summit of all, Lagos de Covadonga, the Vuelta... doesn't use any of them, instead going for a stage somewhere between a legit mountain stage and an intermediate stage which stays close to the coast and as a result doesn't venture inland enough to see these classic climbs, instead opting for some of the less known climbs of the area.

h.3483520.780.520.0.ffffff.wm.4e8347a5.jpg

Llanes is not a noted Vuelta town, although this mostly fishing-oriented municipality has become a staple of the Vuelta a Asturias; with a population of almost 15.000 it is the largest town in the eastern part of the province, and featured on the route almost every year until 2010, after which the downsizing of the route meant the focusing on the central parts of the region where there was more money; the last winner in the town is therefore Pablo Urtasun, for the Euskaltel-Euskadi team which was just starting to falter at that point, the GT performances of Samu and Antón that year papering over the cracks that had started to appear.

Two thirds of the stage is pretty much flat, or at least as flat as you can get in this part of Spain; Asturias is the Spanish province with the least flat land on the Iberian peninsula; unlike Cantabria and País Vasco there isn't a part of Asturias on the high plateau and so the undulating coastal roads and the inland valley from Oviedo to Cangas de Onis are in fact the flattest parts of the region. The first part of the stage is on those coastal roads, which means there will be some up-and-down which may well have an impact by the end of the day but be barely perceptible at the time. After around 25-30km the riders reach the almost impossibly picturesque coastal town of Ribadesella and head inland in the valley cut by the Rio Sella that gives the town its name (thus avoiding Los Tornos or the Mirador del Fito), arriving in the valley at Arriondas, before heading over a slow rise and then longer gradual decline through some of the bigger towns in Asturias, such as Infiesto and Nava, before reaching the first intermediate sprint in Pola de Siero, a town surrounded by lush green rolling hillside that belies the mountainous backdrop.

6527312.jpg

Siero is another spot chosen in honour of a past legend, and this time one of my all-time personal favourites, and arguably the purest of the great Spanish pure climbers, the mythical El Tarangu, José Manuel Fuente. Tarangu's actual hometown, the tiny village of Limanes, has been pretty much swallowed up by its nearby town, but this is the land the mythical climber grew up in, rising from a childhood in poverty and an apprenticeship as a metalworker to become one of the all-time greatest escaladores. He turned pro at 23, and swiftly caught attention in his first Vuelta, in 1970, taking home the jersey for best neo-pro (actually débutante as Fuente had been professional in 1969 albeit on a reduced calendar). And this despite being a pure climber with virtually no skills for flat racing, at the pinnacle of the Vuelta's parcours limitations; the late 60s was truly the turning point for the race, with the road infrastructure having improved to the point where they were no longer a challenge in and of themselves; the average speed was higher, but the breaks were ever easier to control - and much like how Paris-Roubaix went from using the better roads to actively seeking out the worst ones, the early 70s marked the point where the Vuelta shied away from showing off the developing infrastructure of Spain and started moving towards discovering the great mountains the country is filled with; this was helped by the start of the skiing industry taking off in Spain giving potential mountaintop finishes some real legitimate potential for the first time.

In 1971, Fuente raced all three Grand Tours and for the first time showed us what he became famous for, winning the maglia verde in the Giro taking a great solo victory at Pian del Falco. At the Tour, the exhausted Asturian dropped a lot of time on the GC, but rode himself into form, taking two stage wins in the Pyrenées, at Bagnères de Luchon and Superbagnères. The team upped his salary; he used the money to pay for his marriage. The following year, for the first time ever the Vuelta introduced an MTF, although this was at the comparatively benign climb of Formigal; this was followed by the Santuário de Arrate. The Vuelta as we know it today was starting to take shape. Fuente was chosen on the Formigal stage to monitor the break for KAS, who held the leader's jersey with Txomin Perurena. However, after his break partner proved weak, Tarangu fought on alone on the Puerto de Monrepos, and then pulled out further time on the climb to Formigal... eventually taking 9 minutes and the lead on the stage, defending it to Arrate and over Orduña and becoming an overnight sensation, winning the support of great climbers past and present. No rest for the wicked, though, and Fuente was dispatched to his favourite race, the Giro, where he won two monolithic MTFs at Blockhaus and the Passo dello Stelvio, as well as having a mighty duel with Merckx on the Jafferau climb to finish 2nd overall. Needless to say, it was another GPM triumph; which he repeated a year later, albeit with less GC success, as well as finishing on the podium of the Merckx-less Tour de France (though some 17 mins behind Ocaña).

But 1974 is arguably what Tarangu is best known for. Taking two stages of the Vuelta, a mountainous stage to Los Ángeles de San Rafa´l and on his home mountain of Monte Naranco, he survived the 36km final TT in San Sebastián by the skin of his teeth to hold on ahead of Joaquim Agostinho. And then he went to the Giro, a Giro heralded as among the greatest GTs ever. Here's the start of a 2hr documentary on the "Greatest Show on Earth". Fuente, still holding Vuelta form, won an early stage to take the lead of the race, and looked good value for the win, especially after the Monte Carpegna win at the end of week 1 to get one back over Merckx after their previous duel on the same climb. After his third win, however, Fuente miscalculated in a long stage and didn't eat enough; hitting the wall and losing nearly 10 minutes to Merckx. Could the mythical climber take all the time he needed in the days to come? The answer was no, but Fuente wasn't going to die wondering. Day after day, all day solo breakaways in the mountains, two, sometimes three climbs out, the Asturian truly gave us cycling at its most beautiful. Not only were we watching the great mano a mano struggle, the climbing prodigy vs. the great all-rounder on the former's turf, but we were watching the truest battle, one man against the mountains. After cresting almost every mountain of the final week alone and taking two more stages, at Monte Generoso and Tre Cime di Lavaredo, needless to say, while he never got the time he needed back from Eddy, he was the undisputed king of the mountains once more.

But soon after that, it was all over. The mightiest king of the mountains was reduced to a shell of a man by kidney disease, and after struggling to finish races in 1975, the legendary escalador hung up his cleats at the end of 1976 aged just 31. Save for a brief foray into DSing with CLAS in the late 80s, that was all for cycling and José Manuel Fuente; the health problems that had beset his youth and had cut his career short eventually also cut his life short in 1996, the great climber dying at just 50 years of age. A monument to him stands on Monte Naranco and there is a "Trofeo Tarangu" amateur/junior race which is held in high regard in Asturias; he's one of the truly greatest in that tradition of climbers in Spain and his legacy remains strong to this day.

tumblr_memjdbqMhr1r5xf5to4_540.jpg

Back to the day's racing, anyway. After Siero, we head through the northern suburbs of Oviedo and then head to the coast through some more supportive Vuelta towns like Áviles.

hotel_don_pedro_aviles_plaza_espana.jpg

Like Llanes, Áviles has hosted the Vuelta a Asturias most years, but also hosts the Vuelta, most recently as the start of the 2011 and 2013 stages to Angliru. There's then the second intermediate sprint in Soto del Barco, and then it starts to get serious.

The first climb of the day is a comparatively short but steep one (it's actually got a bit of ramping before the classified section, overall you could call it about 10,6km @ 6,5%, but the main body of the climb is the one in this profile. As you can see, it's 3km of far from inconsiderable climbing then topped off with 4km at 10% and a maximum of 17%, so this should be enough of a test to put some of those who are struggling out the back, especially as into and out of Soto del Barco we have some uncategorized ascending.

555954.jpg

A tricky, twisty descent follows, with an uncategorized climb of around 3km at 6% following to help break up the rhythm once more. The descent from this then takes us to one of Spain's unknown, unheralded killers, the dangerous Alto de Bustellán. Although this is just about classified as a medium mountain stage, this is a legit cat.1 ascent that isn't THAT far off legitimate HC classification; the side that goes via Los Corros - which we're climbing - includes 2km at over 10% in the middle and some frightening inconsistencies in gradient. The profile helps explain the difficulty for this climb, which crests just 20km from home and could therefore see quite some action from those who lost time in the 50km chrono yesterday. It consists of 5km @ 8,5%, then a couple of kilometres of false flat, and then it ramps right up with the steepest section mentioned above, including a max of 15%. This is where the moves would most likely be made. And the roads are perfectly good and wide, the views are good, and you have to wonder why the Vuelta's never been here before, even as a mid-stage climb far from the finish for somewhere more accessible.

5252027.jpg

On the way through the descent, we reach the outskirts of Tineo. PRC did an entire article on the possibilities of a finish in Tineo; as a result I was rather reluctant to put the stage finish here; I've had similar ideas to the PRC guys before, unintentionally as well as sometimes adapting or borrowing ideas of theirs to fit into stages I had planned. However, with the range of undiscovered climbs in western Asturias for the Vuelta, and that along with Cangas del Narcea, Tineo is one of the few inland towns large enough (population 12.000) to host the race realistically, choice is fairly limited. My finish is something of a hybrid of their stages though, as their Bustellán stage finishes by descending directly into Tineo, whereas I have chosen to use the run-in from a different stage by evading the centre of Tineo on the descent and instead going further on the road towards Tuña, to the village of El Rodical, before climbing the sector of this side of Bustellán from km 3,5 to km 8 for a final third-category ramp into the town (on this road) before a flat final 300m or so to finish in the town centre. This stage is a tricky potential banana skin for the GC candidates who will need to be alert, these ramps after 220km could be potentially more dangerous than they seem.

0102-csp-tineo-polallande.jpg

Vuelta a Navarra Stage 6: Bera - Pamplona 222km

Well, I've finally finished.
kqsFv09.png

LMowfIQ.png

The last stage is pretty hilly, and goes from one of the most northern towns in Navarra to the capital Pamplona, where it started. It is an extremely long stage for it to be the last one, so I had to make it at least a bit interesting.

It is really, really the last chance saloon. Ambushes on this stage are possible, but it will be a case of seeing who is the most tired after a pretty tough 6 days. It is a pretty rolling stage also, with over 3000m of climbing. There is also a sprint after 20km, and I'd like to see the guys 2nd or 3rd in GC to keep it together for the 3,2,1 bonus seconds at the line. The first climb is pretty easy but long and extremely irregular. The break should form here.

It continues to be hilly for a while longer, but I don't expect much here. so lets fast forward to the Azanza climb. The speed should increase here a bit, to tire out the sprinters and possibly the GC guys too. It is a pretty easy climb, 9km at 5%, and regular.

kXoPA16.jpg

The key moment of today is the Perdon climb. The average is most definitely misleading: it peaks at 15%. It is a hard climb and moves can for sure be made here. Yes, after there is 15k of flat, but if someone is strong they can take it to the finish.
6xfDNx9.png

The run in is not technical and very flat, and for those with most power. It won't be easy, but it is possible. The stage finishes just past the Ciudadela and outside the old city.

For my next race...

Picture if you will, North Tyrol and South Tyrol both seceding from Austria and Italy respectively to create new yet historical, small yet mountainous country. At the same time, Switzerland is rocked by political unrest. Because of this, the Tour d'Helvetie is unable to be hosted. What race will replace it as the very unbalanced pre-cursor to the Tour?

Another small, mountainous, multi-lingual country stepped forward. Of course, it was recently created Tyrol. So yes, it is the Tyrol Rundfahrt/Giro di Tirolo!

Re:

Brullnux said:
For my next race...

Picture if you will, North Tyrol and South Tyrol both seceding from Austria and Italy respectively to create new yet historical, small yet mountainous country. At the same time, Switzerland is rocked by political unrest. Because of this, the Tour d'Helvetie is unable to be hosted. What race will replace it as the very unbalanced pre-cursor to the Tour?

Another small, mountainous, multi-lingual country stepped forward. Of course, it was recently created Tyrol. So yes, it is the Tirol Rundfahrt/Giro di Tirolo!
Fixed that for you ;)

I'm really looking forward to this. The number of brutal climbs you have in the Austrian and the Italian part of Tyrol combined is extremely high and you can find enough passes there alone for a whole grand tour.
And because you post such a race here, I'm curious if you heard about the rumor about such a race (which would also include Trentino though) a few days ago which would be hosted instead of the Giro del Trentino?

Ah sorry, my languages are English and Italian, and a tiny bit of spanish. My german is very limited. Two years at school I feel isn't enough.

I didn't hear about that, no. But I'm gonna have to redesign a couple of the early stages because I feel I don't do the Austrian side justice.

Tour de Suisse Stage 4: Fribourg - Basel (177km) Medium Mountains

Climbs:
Grenchenberg (12.5km @ 6.7%) Cat 1
La Tuf (6.6km @ 3.4%) Cat 3
Scheltenpass (8km @ 5.8%) Cat 2
Pass Wang (3.3km @ 7.2%) Cat 1
Schartenflue (7.2km @ 5.6%) Cat 2

Sprints:
Grenchen @ 47.7km
Dornach @ 155.4km

Feed zone:
Vermes @ 105.6km

We reach a stage that is slightly easier than the previous two road stages. We start in the city of Fribourg and head in a vague north westerly direction towards, the shores of the Murtensee. This is where the riders then head in the general direction of north east towards the city of Biel/Biennethat has held a couple of stages in the Tour de Suisse including a finish and start last year (2015). Onwards, and the riders will reach the first prime of the day at Grenchen. This is the home of BMC and the Swiss Federation's Velodrome. This is where we start the hilly part of the day. We start by climbing the Grenchenberg. The longest climb of the day.

Once descended, we head through Moutier and onto the La Tuf climb. It is then onto the duo of the Scheltenpass and Pass Wang, that follow each other in quick succession.

A long gradual descent into Dornachfor the second and final prime of the day follows. Then it is back to climbing. This is where the riders hit the Schartenflue. From here it is just a short descend into Basel, for a finish on the Birsigviadukt. This has a slight uphill gradient for 200 metres of about 8%.

Fribourg:
800px-grand-rue_fribourg_jun_2011.jpg

Basel:
a098beba1d6ec003a86e7de7ea78e023.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENT!
Due to the new aggrement between the organisers of the Tour de Suisse and Velon, the village of Gempen no longer wants the race running through the centre. This therefore means the organisers have no other option but to get rid of the final climb and create a gently sloping downhill, into Basel. The organisers are sincerely apologetic to the aggresive riders that thrive on being able to attack on the downhill and distance their rivals.

The new profile will there fore look like this: (The race route is now 167km)

Re:

Brullnux said:
For my next race...

Another small, mountainous, multi-lingual country stepped forward. Of course, it was recently created Tyrol. So yes, it is the Tyrol Rundfahrt/Giro di Tirolo!
Looking forward to a very hilly/mountainous race!

Just out of interest, what catorgory race would it be? 2.2, 2.1, 2.HC or 2.WT?

I think it might be best as a U23 race like Valle d'Aosta, teach the espoirs how to become climbing beasts!

Stage 12: Luarca - Cedeira, 189km

iwrwps.png

4selw2.png

GPM:
Mirador Vixia de Herbeira (cat.2) 8,2km @ 7,1%

After the Asturian mountains, we are now heading right to the northeasternmost corner of Spain, for a potential banana skin of a stage along the Galician Atlantic coast. So yes - only one Asturian stage this year, although this one starts in the province before heading into Galicia, where we'll be for the next few days, albeit nothing like as long as in the 2016 Vuelta which will spend almost a week in this corner of the country. This stage uses a climb that the Vuelta is discovering this year... BUT from a much more interesting side than the Vuelta is climbing, and also not with an unnecessary MTF.

Luarca-1.1.jpg

We start the day in the scenic port town of Luarca, it's an attractive fishing town with a population of around 6.000 which is perhaps most famous for giving the country the ALSA company, whose buses originally started out as a means of linking the Asturian ports to Oviedo, and following massive expansion from the 1960s onwards have provided a large part of the country's transport infrastructure before expanding all over western Europe. It's also a stop on the northernmost route of the Camino del Santiago which served as the stage start for the etapa reina to Ermita de Alba in 2015, but before that had last been seen in the Vuelta when Paolo Bettini won a sprint early in the 2007 race, the last time this coastal area featured in the race, at a point where Unipublic were still trying to make week one not too over-powered and with a Lagos de Covadonga finish the following day, the group were fairly restrained.

The first part of the stage is all about the coastline, so it looks pretty noticeably flat on the profile, considering we are heading around Asturias, possibly percentage-wise the most mountainous province in Spain. It does mean some scenic - and because the area is much more verdant owing to climate compared to the south, and the towns are still fairly small ports and fishing towns rather than the multi-million tourist industry of the various Costas, quiet and unspoilt - beaches and cliffs, with some attractive rolling hills all the way down to the shore.

pic_05g-A.jpg

Obviously, this isn't absolutely flat; there's plenty of rolling terrain, but once we get past the first 50km we quickly pop onto the autovía (solely in order to cross the bridge below and avoid a lengthy inland detour) and cross over into Ribadeo, which signals our entry into Galicia.

tg_carrusel_cabecera_grande.jpg

Since 2011, Galicia has been very much "in" for the Vuelta. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that, following the heartbreak at the last in the 2010 race and the ensuing fallout with Mosquera and García da Pena testing positive, they abandoned the Xacobeo project, so with the regional government still loving cycling but no longer bankrolling a team, as well as, unlike the other Spanish cycling heartlands of País Vasco, Burgos and Catalunya, not having their own pro-level home race, the region became central to the country's biggest race, featuring a key mountain stage in 2011, multiple stages in 2012, the grand départ in 2013, the finale in 2014 and now almost an entire week's worth of racing in 2016. And yet we've not been to the northern coast of the region until this year - so this should be some amazing scenery not already known to the Vuelta as we head through coastal towns and cities like Burela and Viveiro.

Burela_Lugo.jpg

The only real obstacles until the end are that after we get past Viveiro, we have a number of uncategorized climbs as the coastal road becomes extremely difficult to navigate, and we climb up to around 150m at least twice, with some tricky ascents that may have an effect when we get to the final climb. 3km at around 4,5% around 55km out, followed almost immediately by around 2km at 5%. We then settle down a bit as we loop around a bay, but after Ortigueira things start to get serious. Although the coastline remains beautiful.

3581_1223316875.jpg

The one climb of the day is a tricky one, and follows in the greatest of Vuelta traditions of pseudo-flat/hilly stages, with a cat.2 climb 15-20-25km from the line. The 2011 Bilbao stage is a good example, although here we only climb the final ascent once; also stages like the Castellón stage last year with Desierto de las Palmas, or the many recent Murcía stages with Cresta del Gallo. The most obvious comparison is the Cangas del Morrazo stage from 2014 perhaps, which was won by Adam Hansen. It also bears resemblance - perhaps more so as this is a less steep but more sustained cat.2 climb rather than the short steep ones often mentioned - to another Vuelta classic, the Cangas de Onis finish after Mirador del Fito. This design was used perhaps most famously in 1974, with a duel between Ocaña and Fuente, two of Spain's all time greatest of course, but was used most recently (and so most relevantly for modern cycling) in 2003 (since the introduction of Lagos de Covadonga, the tendency has been to finish there instead), when Luís Pérez Rodríguez and Carlos Sastre got a few seconds ahead of the field, which split down to a group of thirty or so, so this could be the kind of result to use as a guide for what to expect.

This is the side of the Garita de Herbeira which is being used as a mountaintop finish in the 2016 Vuelta. Rather unnecessarily, to be honest. Instead, I'm taking the péloton up this more consistent but overall tougher side. As you can see, it's around 6km averaging a little under 7% then suddenly ramping up to a kilometre at 10,3%, which I think is where the key moves will be made; the group will have been thinned out and with just 15km to go at the summit - this should be around 17-18km out, so this will be the moment that breaks the stage apart.

But yea: the scenery.

2aeec5ac2d3198ae021c5bdf3c3d7ffc.jpg

We then descend the side that they're climbing in 2016, a two stepped descent with a kilometre at 6% in the middle just to trick the group, but then they descend almost all the way to the line in Cedeira, a touristic small town of around 7.500 inhabitants - this is likely to be a good Worlds tune-up for the hilly riders as well - and since most of the stage has been about gorgeously scenic coastal towns, it's only fitting to finish in kind.

cedeira_villa_maravilla.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
For my next race...

I've designed a Tirol Rundfahrt at the start of 2015, there's so much awesome terrain to work with.
Edit: According to a local newspaper the Giro del Trentino will become something like that in 2017, it will be called Giro dell Euregio and consist of 5 stages.

Really love your stage 11 Libertine. Not a massive, high mountain stage with all the expectations, but it can actually provide 25-30k of action somebody wants to, while the final climb makes sure there's at least some action without discouraging attacks from far out.

Stage 13: A Coruña - Ponteareas, 203km

2rcwd8y.png

2ahh3if.png

GPM:
Alto do Xalo (cat.3) 10,3km @ 4,0%
Alto do Busto (Monte Castrove)(cat.3) 7,0km @ 5,3%

A long and flattish stage which will provide some good Worlds training for the sprinters, since they'll need to be relatively durable to get to the end, but with this stage taking place on a Friday with the penultimate weekend lying ahead, the main GC candidates are more than likely to leave this one to the fastmen, which is pretty appropriate given the finish.

a_coruna.png

Before that, however, we set off from the city of A Coruña. With a quarter of a million inhabitants, it's the second largest city in Galicia and served as its capital until 1982, both in the independent Kingdom of Galicia and in the subsequent unified Spain, when that honour was moved to Santiago de Compostela. The city originally began in Celtic times before being taken over by the Romans; for many centuries it had prominence as a port city on a promontory, on the peninsula which includes the UNESCO World Heritage site of the Torre de Hercules, but has since expanded beyond the confines of the peninsula onto the wider coastal area, especially after experiencing rapid population increase during the Franco era. The city has a strong sporting imprint, but a lot of this is relatively provincial; by far its biggest-known international sporting successes are from the football team Deportivo La Coruña, which won La Liga in 2000 and whose subsequent Champions' League exploits led to a memorable match against Manchester United in which Fabien Barthez left his brain in the locker room.

The city was last seen in La Vuelta in 2014, in a sprint stage which was won by John Degenkolb, but it is a deeply historic one - its first introduction to the race was all the way back in 1936, in only the second Vuelta, when Belgium's Alphonse Schepers took the victory. Although the Vuelta's interest in its northwesterly province has come and gone a few times over the years, however, Galicia's interest in cycling has been comparatively unwavering, producing many of the country's best. The best known Coruñés in cycling terms is Vicente López Carril, a strong all-rounder who built a very solid stage-racing palmarès in the 70s - although he won a stage the Tour de l'Avenir in 1966, he was a late bloomer, with his breakthrough, when he won the colossal Gran Sasso d'Italia mountaintop finish at the 1971 Giro d'Italia, coming when he was already 28 years old. Like so many of the great Spanish names in history, López Carril was at his best in the mountains, with his biggest wins being Grand Tour stages (three at the Tour, all in the Alps, in Nice, Serre-Chevalier and Morzine-Avoriaz, and one at the Vuelta, a Cangas de Onis finish after breaking away on the Mirador del Fito climb, on top of his Giro stage) and Spanish short stage races in mountainous regions - the Vuelta a los Valles Mineros and the Vuelta a Asturias, for example; he also won a national championship in 1974, when the event was held in the mountains of central Asturias, around the city of Mieres del Camino.

López Carril was known for his consistent results in the Grand Tours, where he managed nine top 10s (2 apiece at the Giro and Vuelta, and 5 at the Tour), with his best finish being in 1974 when he finished on the podium in Paris, just 5 seconds behind the veteran Raymond Poulidor, albeit eight minutes shy of Eddy. This also meant we got to see his awesome national champion's kit on the podium. After spending his entire career with KAS, he spent one year with Teka in 1979 before retiring; however he never got to enjoy his retirement, as only a few months later, in March 1980 he suffered an embolism during a friendly kickabout game of football and subsequently died at the age of just 37; not only another to add to the list of great Spanish escaladores, but also another to add to the list of great riders taken before their time.

1406156773_757688_1406157446_album_normal.jpg

The stage begins, perhaps fittingly for Vicente, with a climb almost straight away, to the village of Xalo. It's not a tough climb, mostly very gradual, but this being the end of week 2 we may see some more interesting names and a stronger breakaway than we might get from a pan-flat stage normally. Even if not, well, the king of the mountains' team could hold it together to pick up some points if they like, then let the break go after. The stage in its early part will be reminiscent to the péloton of stage 3, the first one on the Iberian peninsula, as we climb to an altitude of around 4-500m but without any real climbing after that; the first 60-70km see us offer plenty of uphill and downhill but not much in the way of sustained gradient after that first cat.3 climb, so there's at least the chance to tire out some legs.

We stay to the west of Santiago de Compostela as we descend back down to sea level, for the coast will be the site of much of the day's racing. We also pass close by to the small town of Teo, home to the last great Galician cult hero in the cycling world, late bloomer and the first man to triumph on the mighty slopes of Bola del Mundo, Ezequiel Mosquera. Indeed, that last-ditch attempt at overcoming Vincenzo Nibali was both Eze's greatest triumph (biggest career win) and greatest failure (not getting the Vuelta, subsequent HES positive). This is not a stage that Eze would have enjoyed however (though some such stages are to come), so we continue on our way towards the coast and some more recent Vuelta stage towns.

1308302250.jpg

The first of these is Vilagarcía de Arousa, which hosted the start of the 2012 stage to Mirador de Ézaro won by Joaquím Rodríguez (who else?). This is followed almost immediately by Vilanova de Arousa, where the 2013 race got off to its start with a team time trial in a wonderfully picturesque setting. Here, it's just a transitional section before our next climb, which is to O Busto, a stop-off on the way to Monte Castrove.

Monte Castrove has been used a couple of times recently in the Vuelta, most notably as a cat.2 MTF in 2014, a stage where Fabio Aru took the win ahead of Chris Froome, though the latter took some potentially vital seconds from his main adversary, Alberto Contador, in the battle for the overall. You can watch it here. However, this steep side is not what we're climbing, we're climbing the more gradual, two-stepped side of it which was used in the 2012 CRI which was won by Fredrik Kessiakoff; we climb solely from the "comienza puerto" sign to the feedzone at O Busto before descending to the coast and riding on into Pontevedra; it's a flat stage and there are still 60km to the line, so I'm not anticipating anything too drastic in terms of action, although it might be interesting for the points classification if there's a battle breaking out between the sprinty sprinters and the all-rounders, as the intermediate sprint in Pontevedra is very close to the foot of the descent, and so if somebody like Kittel, Ewan etc. has the lead of the classification, people like Bouhanni, Sagan and Lobato could take advantage and get a few free points by putting the pressure on in the climb.

Monte-Castrove.jpg

After a bit more coastline-hugging, we head inland for good at Redondela, with an uncategorized climb of around 3,5km @ 4% into a valley road. This takes us to a rural municipality called Mos, which has no towns of any significance but does have a road cycling claim to fame, as the home of the forgotten Tour winner, Óscar Pereiro. Of course, a lot of that is to do with the circumstances; Pereiro had finished tenth in the previous two editions (and would do again in 2007) and, after losing a lot of time and the Phonak team (for which he'd previously raced) being too weak to control the péloton for the whole race, he was allowed into a breakaway that gained half an hour on the bunch, allowing him to take the maillot jaune. He was underestimated, however, as his top 10s had been based on climbing power, and was a man rejuvenated by the jersey, and it took the legendary Morzine attack to dethrone him; after Landis' positive test, victory was conferred to the Galician. Of course, like Arroyo's Giro (although Arroyo's time gift was less, his advantage was greater and the circumstances of his advantage were very different; he also lost a lot more time trying to defend in the mountain stages than Pereiro did), Óscar went back to his previous niche the following year, returning to his previous performance level (10th), however a horrendous crash descending the Colle dell'Agnello in the 2008 Tour de France brought his career to a premature halt; while he returned to racing the following year, and spent a year domestiquing for Contador at Astana in 2010, it was very clear early on that he was not the same rider he was and he quietly retired to take up part-time football, occasionally resurfacing to lay the smack down with impunity on some ignorant football journalists.

rpereiro080207fotoabarcasports-vi.jpg

But really, the stage isn't here to honour Óscar; because we're taking it to a sprint finish in the city of Ponteareas, a city of 20.000 with a big legacy in cycling. It has rather fallen by the wayside recently, only hosting two Vuelta stages in recent memory, both stage starts for sprint stages (in 2011 to Pontevedra, won by Peter Sagan, and the following year to Sanxenxo, won by John Degenkolb), however while this is not the same as El Barraco, which is a tenth its size, there are no fewer than three Vuelta winners from the city. The most recent is the now notorious Álvaro Pino, who benefited from being somewhat more rounded as a racer than many of his opposition and triumphed in the 1986 Vuelta thanks to superior time trial skills versus Robert Millar, still smarting over the previous year's betrayal. Álvaro was also a great climber, however, taking mountaintop victories in the Vuelta in 1988 to Brañillín and Monte Naranco as well as the GPM, and also on the mythical Lagos de Covadonga in 1989. However, after hanging up his cleats and going into management, he's become something of a dark cloud, managing the Kelme team throughout the 90s, before moving on to Phonak until 2005 (escaping the hit around Landis) and then Xacobeo-Galicía from 2007 to its downfall in 2010.

1220298378Pino,+Alvaro.jpg

With a sprint finish in Ponteareas, however, Pino isn't really what this is about either; it's more to do with the legendary Rodríguez brothers, two of the most important names of the formative years of the Vuelta and Spanish cycling in general.

Delio Rodríguez Barros (1916-1994) and his brother Emilio Rodríguez Barros (1923-1984) are all-time greats whose names have sadly been rather lost to time in many respects, much of which is to do with the isolation of Spanish cycling at the time. Delio is pretty universally heralded as the better cyclist, but Emilio was the only one to ride the Tour de France. While it remains undeniably true that the weak fields attracted by the early Vueltas (especially the wartime ones) rather artificially inflate some of the statistics, it is worth noting that as the pre-eminent sprinter of his day, given the parcours of the time Delio had the opportunity to run roughshod over his competition; indeed his record of 39 Vuelta stage wins still stands to this day - and his record of 12 stages in a single Grand Tour set in 1941 stood for 36 years, when Freddy Maertens went ballistic on the Vuelta to surpass him. However, he does hold the record for most stages won in a Grand Tour without winning it, courtesy of that 1941 Vuelta, where a colossal breakaway triumph for Escuriet led to Fermín Trueba taking the jersey and putting Rodríguez out of contention, eventually finishing 4th nearly half an hour down. When the 1945 Vuelta came about, with the small péloton resulting from WWII and the lack of international participation, Delio was supported by Emilio and his other brother, Pastor (a fourth brother, Manolo - sometimes called Manuel which I suspect may have something to do with the quest under Franco to suppress the regional identities), was also a professional cyclist who twice won the Subida a Arrate in the 50s, but was still a teenager in 1945 and didn't participate), and took an almost impregnable lead in the stage from Salamanca to Cáceres, finishing 15 minutes up on his breakmates and half an hour ahead of the group, a lead you couldn't afford to give to a rider like him, with his eventual haul being six stages and the GC, reducing the great Berrendero to fighting against the forgotten Portuguese climber João Rebelo for the GPM.

571506ed70174-12920494_802662613172843_1785060544344233668_n.jpg

Although he is often characterized as a sprinter because this was his primary speciality, Delio was a more rounded rider than this gives him credit for; how many sprinters do you know who could win the Subida al Naranco twice? Nevertheless, it was clear that Emilio was more climbing-based than his older brother; he won the Vuelta's mountains classification three times (in 1946, 1947 and 1950) as well as also taking the GC in 1950 along with five victories - four of which in the mountainous north of the country, even if in those days a brutal Vuelta mountain stage would be one that included the likes of Asón, Alisas or La Braguía - the Puerto del Escudo was probably the Vuelta's first mythical summit; Manolo also came 2nd in the race, providing his brother with support all the way, doing a gregario's job in the way that so rarely came to pass in Spanish cycling at the time. This was also the first Vuelta after Delio's retirement, so the country's cyclists were rather frustrated as they had thought they may have been able to escape the dominance of the Galician family, but they were to be denied temporarily (Emilio didn't return to the Vuelta until 1955). Emilio also managed in 1954 to do something which his brother had never managed, and won the national championships, along with his three unsuccessful tilts at the Tour de France. Like many Galicians throughout cycling history as well, Emilio felt some affinity for their neighbours and close linguistic and cultural friends the Portuguese, and three times podiumed the Volta a Portugal in its own formative years (Manolo also podiumed twice for good measure).

264E3188631F4DD564191E4DD5640F.jpg

So while this is perhaps not the most attractive finish we could choose after the scenic coast of yesterday and the beautiful Galician coastal towns, it is a city that belongs on the honours list in terms of its cycling heritage, and makes a perfect stage town for my Vuelta that's already paid homage to Tarzán, Alberto Fernández, Freire, Fuente and the Trueba brothers.

85645538.jpg

Re:

Brullnux said:
For my next race...

Very subtle...

Re:

Brullnux said:
For my next race...

I was thinking of doing that myself a few days ago, but I'm not well read on the area. I'm looking forward to it!

jsem94 said:
Brullnux said:
For my next race...

I was thinking of doing that myself a few days ago, but I'm not well read on the area. I'm looking forward to it!
I struggled badly in Austria due to me not knowing if the climbs were asphalt end or not, as apparently Austria has a phobia of street-view. I know Sudtirol quite well, though.

Tirol Rundfahrt/Giro del Tirolo Stage 1: Innsbruck-Stummerberg 198km

An early warning, these stages will be unrealistic, and the classification system will be Giro-style, i.e random.

LOPiSXd.png

sdVWHxu.jpg

Ah, the capital of Tirol, Innsbruck. Pretty mountain city, perhaps one of the nicest in Europe. It is home to 124,000 people, and circa 200,000 people in the second week of February. Of course, this isn't correct, but it is an extremely popular skiing destination, as it has it all: nice ski slopes, bars, restaurants, hotels and a hospital. Especially among Brits who wish to escape from the rip-off prices of France. The food isn't quite Courmayeur, but it is pretty good.

So the monster starts here. The Wattenberg is 5.4km at 7.4%, and pretty damn hard. It is steadily 9-11% before flattening out at the top. After a descent the riders will turn right and head up the Sagalm climb. Admittedly, we do turn off roughly at Kolsassberg, so the Sagalmclimb profile is misleading. This is a climb that in the Tour would be 1 or maybe even an HC. In all fairness it should be a 1, but it is early on. This is seriously hard. the early section after Kolsass to Merans is 4km at 11.5%, before shallowing slightly. The descent is technically fairly hard and steep. Should be taken with caution; early on in the day, there is no need to take risks. We cross the earlier route at Wattens.

Then comes a triplet of relatively easy climbs spread over 30k. First is the rise to Egge, a small municipality. It is harder than the average suggest, and that is still not easy. The first section is over 10%, but it flattens out at the top, like the wattenberg. Then comes the Pillberg, coming from Pill into a few mountain villages. This is a short, punchy climb. It averages 10% over 3k, and you can imagine the struggle of the riders on this climb. After a descent we have our first TV in Schwaz, a major town of Tirol, home to 15,000 people. A bit of flat takes to the climb to Achensee. It is not easy, once again: 5k at 8%. There is a plateau at the top in which the riders will be going to the town of Pertisau before turning onto the side road of the main road via a 2k loop. If it is impossible to use this road, then as the main road is quite wide, you can split the road in two and have one for going and another for coming back.

Achensee_aerial_view_2011.jpg

After descent and some flat, we reach the beautiful 'Brandenberg circuit'. 25k long, it takes in two climbs, the Brandenberg which is hard, and a short uncategorised kick up. After we pass the town of Brixlegg after, we have an incredible 30km of flat before the second TV, in Turnbach. oh, and the Mizunalm.

B_Brandenberg_Dorf_Sommer4.jpg

The mighty Mizunalm is paved (Yay!) and an absolute beast of a climb. Like the Mortirolo in terms of difficulty. Every single kilometre of this climb averages over 10%. I guess this might mean it is regular and they'll be able to tap out a rhythm, but it is hard. Very hard. I'm not usually to keen on really, really hard climbs as MTFs, but I'm ok with them as second to last or third to last climbs. Here it is the second to last climb. It is a monster. I don't know if I can repeat that enough. I'm just gonna let you guys look at that profile. And it's narrow.

MizunalmS.gif

som_3.jpg

The descent is also really steep and technical - a guy like Nibali can take time back here or gain time if he is in the lead. The final slopes are to the Stummerberg, a short climb that after 5000+ metres of climbing and 190k of racing can put 1 minute or more into someone who is tired. The winner will be tired, to say the very least.

I feel this is an easy intro.