• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Race Design Thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage 10: Aime - L'Alpe d'Huez, 179km, high mountains

This is probably the most traditional stage in this tour, but I tried to change the finale somehow to create more dynamic racing.
The course follows the valley of the Isère river untill it reaches the start of the north side of the Col de la Madeleine, which it will climb. The descent of the steeper south side is followed by a 15m long false flat section to Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne. This town marks the beginning of the climb of the Col du Télégraphe, and subsequently the Col du Galibier. The long descent of the Galibier won't to to Bourg d'Oisans, but stops at the Barrage de Chambon, where the peloton will turn right and climb the Col de Sarenne. When cresting the highest point of the road, there's only a very short descent, followed by 6km on rolling roads before crossing the finishline.

Climbs:
Col de la Madeleine: km47.5, 24.5km @ 6.3%, hors category
Col du Galibier: km124, 34.9km @ 5.5%, hors category (just like in the old days, not counting the télégraphe as a seperate climb)
Col de Sarenne: km170, 12.7km @ 7.5%, 1st cat

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'italia

Was a bit busy the last days, so forgot about my giro! Time to pick things up again.

Stage 6: Salerno - Fornia (192 KM)

Just to remember, my goal for this Giro was just to make a course I really like. So, it might be a bit strange that I come up with a total flat stage now. However, if you want good racing, you sometimes need to offer the riders some rest. Especially, after the really hard 5th stage with 4 walls in the final 40 Kilometres.

Today's stage starts in the beautiful city of Salerno. After a detour around the Sorrento peninsula the route goes straight to the north, passing close to the Vesuvio and Napoli. A bunch sprint in Fornia is very likely.

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'Italia

Stage 7: Terracina - Roma (180 KM)

I really liked this year's Roma Maxima. So it may be no surprise that this stage is inspired by this revived classic race. After a flat run in, the first climb is the Rocca Massima (10 KM, 6%). Exactly, this is also the first climb of the Roma Maxima!

After the Rocca Massima, the route goes a bit more inland to the Rocca di Cave (6 KM, 7,8%). This is a new climb, I need to stay at least a bit original! The third climb of the day (the Rocca Priora) is again known from the Roma Maxima. However, it will be climbed from the north side. This side is significantly harder as the normal one, and averages 6% over nearly 7 KM. The last climb of the day is again a new one; the Pratone averages 5% over 3 KM. So not really hard. From the top the peloton goes in one straight line to the finish at the Colloseum. It's still 24 Kilometres; is that enough for the sprinters to come back to the front?

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'Italia

Stage 8: Braccione - Assisi (213 KM)

It's Saturday, so time to spice things up a little! Today's stage is the only one exceeding 200 kilometres. I've two reasons for that. The first one is that tracks4bikers doesn't allow me to make longer tracks. And since I'm to lazy to create two tracks for one stage, I've decided to stick on that limit. Next to this, I also believe that there is no place for ultra long stages in a grand tour. I want to keep the race human. No extremely long days at the saddle, so that there is plenty of time to recover for the next day. I know a lot of purists will disagree on this, but the truth is that longer stages almost never lead to better racing.

Ok, let's go to today's course, because I'm sure you will like it. While not that hard as the 5th stage, this could be the second Sky Killer. In the last 100 Kilometres, no meter will be flat. The first climb of the day is the Pettino (12 KM, 6,8%). From there on, the road goes constantly gradually up and down until the Cupacci appears. This climb averages 8% around 5 Kilometres. After a short decend, it's almost immediately time for the next climb (The San Vitale). The top of this 7,3 KM at 8,1% climb is situated only 12 kilometres before the finish, thus making it the ideal opportunity for some attacks by the favourites. After a tricky decend, it's time for the final climb of the day; the ramp to the city centre of Assisi. You will propably remember it from the 2012 Giro, when Murito grabbed the win over here.

(Note: the first 17 KM are missing from this profile)

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'Italia

Stage 9: Perugia - Monte Amiata (152 KM)

It's time for the first MTF of this Giro! Today's stage starts in the medieval city Perugia. In first instance the route leads to the north; to the Lago Trasimeno. After a nice ride along the boarders of this lake, the route heads to the west. The terrain becomes more hilly, but it's still nothing to worry about. But in the far distance, the riders can already see what awaits them: the Monte Amiata.

After 107 Kilometres the peloton will start tackling the eastern slopes of this beast. After 15 Kilometres climbing at 6% the riders have nearly reached the top. But then...They have to start descending back to the feet of the climb, to tackle it again from the west side! This side is considerably steeper as the east side, averaging 7,5% over 13 Kilometres. But those number's don't tell the right story about this climb. Halfway there is a section of three kilometres averaging 10%, and peeking to 15%. Definetely, the contenders will use this part to test their legs!

Jun 28, 2012
rghysens said:
Stage 10: Aime - L'Alpe d'Huez, 179km, high mountains

This is probably the most traditional stage in this tour, but I tried to change the finale somehow to create more dynamic racing.
The course follows the valley of the Isère river untill it reaches the start of the north side of the Col de la Madeleine, which it will climb. The descent of the steeper south side is followed by a 15m long false flat section to Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne. This town marks the beginning of the climb of the Col du Télégraphe, and subsequently the Col du Galibier. The long descent of the Galibier won't to to Bourg d'Oisans, but stops at the Barrage de Chambon, where the peloton will turn right and climb the Col de Sarenne. When cresting the highest point of the road, there's only a very short descent, followed by 6km on rolling roads before crossing the finishline.

Climbs:
Col de la Madeleine: km47.5, 24.5km @ 6.3%, hors category
Col du Galibier: km124, 34.9km @ 5.5%, hors category (just like in the old days, not counting the télégraphe as a seperate climb)
Col de Sarenne: km170, 12.7km @ 7.5%, 1st cat
Personally, I'd like to see them pave the north face of Alpe d'Huez, from Station de L'Olmet, and use that one.

(of course, my Designed Tour sends them down the usual ascent route of L'Alpe D'Huez)

Stage 11: Briançon - Saint-Étienne-de-Tinée: 122km

This is the second consective high altitude climbing stage after monday's restday. It's very short, but it packs quite a punch with two long climbs on the course. The start in the center of the famous mountain city of Briançon is followed by 30km of gentle downhill towards Guillestre, circling west of the famous Col d'Izoard. Expect this part of the stage to be raced a full speed, as many riders want to be part of the break of the day.
The few km uphill false flat towards Guillestre will hurt many legs and the peloton will absolutely fall apart on the two-stepped Col de Vars. Its summit is crested with still 70km to go and is followed by a descent that begins steep and sinuous, but eases out after Saint-Paul-sur-Ubaye, the halfway point of the race. There's an intermediate sprint at Jausiers, just before the start of the highest paved road in France. After 24km at a not too high gradient there's only a long descent to the finishline that awaits the contenders.

Climbs:
Col de Vars: km52, 19.4km @ 5.7%, 1st cat
Col de la Bonette: km96, 24km @ 6.6%, HC

Intermediate sprint:
Jausiers, km74

Stage 12: Saint-Étienne-de-Tinée - Digne-les-Bains, 193km, medium mountains

We're leaving the high Alps behind us, but todays stage is by no means flat. It will start once again at high speeds, because the first 50km are a false flat downhill. It won't surprise anyone if these are overed in less than an hour, while half the peloton will try to be in the break of the day.
At the confluence of the rivers Var and Tinée the course takes a sudden turn right and the downhill false flat will be changed for its uphill counterpart. Only a few km later many legs will already start to hurt after the climbing action of the previous days and the speed of the first hour. This false flat section lasts for about 30km, until the town of Entrevaux. This will mark the beginning of the first real climb of the day, and although being only a 2nd category climb, many riders will be very happy if the autobus starts to form itself at this point.
A short but not too technical downhill on narrow roads is followed by the most difficult climb of the day: the short but steep Col du Buis. Its descent is almost as steep as its ascent but shorter, and on narrow, but straight roads.
We're past the halfway point of the stage, and now there's a 15km long section of more rolling roads, before the third climb of the day. The climb itself is on a wider road, but the long, gradual descent is again on a more narrow, sinuous road, until the 60km to go sign is reached. At this point the peloton (or what's left of it) is nearing the intermediate sprint in Castellane, and the start of the 4th climb of the day.
The course now follows the famous and quite scenic Route Napoléon, which Napoleon took to the north after his return from exile in Elba.
With 24km to go the peloton leaves this main road and turns right, following the narrow road towards the Col de Corobin, the final climb of the day.
The final 16km, an irregular descent into the centre of Digne-les-Bains will decide about this stage's winner, while the favourites can test eachother, if the time differences are still small.

Climbs:
Col de Félines: km94.5, 7km @ 5.9%, 2nd cat
Col du Buis: km101.5, 4km @ 10.1%, 2nd cat
Col de Saint-Barnabé: km123, 3.6km @ 6.3%, 3rd cat
Col des Lèques: km147.5, 7.2km @ 5.4%, 2nd cat
Col de Corobin: km177, 7.8km @ 6.6%, 2nd cat

Intermediate:
Saint-Auban: km112

Stage 13: Digne-les-Bains - Montélimar, 183km, flat

After 5 consecutive stages in the (medium) mountains, it's sprinters' time again, with a flat stage through the Provence.
It would be very easy to make this stage a lot hillier, but I didn't do so on purpose. I think sprinters should have some chances in GT's (5 or 6), but I'd like them to be in the 2nd and 3rd week rather than in the 1st. A well designed first week of a GT should have opportunities for every kind of rider. Let there be a cobbled stage (or strade bianche), an ardennes like stage (or even two), a TT,... Everything, but not five or six dead flat stages.
Anyway, this is a featureless flat stage. You know what it means: an hour racing at full speed, break of the day establishes itself, rides on the front until 5km to go, mass sprint.

Climbs:
Col de la Peyruergue: km103.5, 4km @ 4.3%, 4th cat
Côte de Série: km161.5, 4.8km @ 3.5%, 4th cat

Intermediate sprint: Sisteron, km38

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'Italia

After a well deserved rest day, it's time to continue this Giro. As you may have noticed, the first week provided a lot of medium-mountain stages. I believe that in the first half of the race, such stages are generally more entertaining than high mountains stages. But the route will become harder...

Stage 10: Grosseto - Pisa (167 KM)

Slowly, but steadily the route brings us further to the North. Today's stage loosely follows the Tuscany coast to end up in Pisa. After a local round the sprinters may contest the victory.

Stage 14: Montélimar - Aubenas, 44.5km, TT

After an easy interlude, another important stage awaits the contenders for GC. This is not the longest TT that featured in the tour, by far. But it is not one to be underestimated. It starts flat, but on the way there are some nasty false flat section that brake the rythm of the pure tt'ers. The finish is after an uphill section of 2km. If you take the difficult course and the exhaustion of the previous days into account, one can expect huge time differences.

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'Italia

Stage 11: Lucca - Abetone (174 KM)

Finally, it's time for the first real mountain stage! Today's course provides no less than 4 climbs, with one being the hardest so far. After leaving Lucca, the race heads to Viareggio at the Tirrenian coast. Again, the route follows the coast to the north. But after 60 kilometres of soft pedalling, the coast will be redeemed for the Appenines!

Luckily, today's first climb (the Foce il Cuccu) is not that hard. After 8,7 KM at 7% the riders have already reached the top. However, after another small bump (2KM at 6%), it time for more serious climbing: the Passo del Vestito. Despite that the climb is not steep, 20 kilometres of climbing will hurt. Still, it's only a minor hurdle in comparison to the third climb of the day: San Pellegrino in Alpe

14 Kilometres long, 8,7% average, and the last 3 kilometres around 12%. This climb is a real beast. Probably, it's one of the hardest climb of the Appenines. Together with the Abetone, the climb forms one of the legendary stages of the giro. And off course, I will respect the tradition. This stage will climb the Abetone as well. A welcome bonus is that this leads to a stage with a penultimate climb which is superior to the final one. So early attacks may be expected!

Dec 16, 2011
By the way: I really like your Tour the France, rghysens. You've added a lot of climbs I would love to see in the Tour, like the Salève and the Col du Buis. It also seems that you share my preference for medium mountain stages.

Stage 15: Aubenas - Mende, 188km, medium mountains

If the contenders' legs didn't hurt after the previous stage, they sure will today. It is labeled as a medium mountain stage, but mainly because of the relative low altitude of the climbs and the gentle gradients of most. In reality it has more elevation gain than many high mountain stages in GT's and it counts no less than seven labeled climbs, good for a grand total of 69km of climbing.
In fact, the only flat part of the day are the first 25km. After that it's either uphill or downhil, untill the 4km to go sign.

Climbs:
Montée de Peyre: km38.5, 12.4km @ 5%, 2nd cat
Col du Mas de l'Ayre: km72, 15.5km @ 4.3%, 2nd cat
Col du Pré de la Dame: km95, 15.1km @ 5.9%, 1st cat
Col de la Croix de Berthel: km128, 6.8km @ 6.2%, 2nd cat
Col de Finiels: km148, 11.6km @ 5.7%, 1st cat
Col de la Loubière: km171.5, 4.7km @ 5.5%, 3rd cat
Montée de la Croix Neuve: km184, 2.8km @ 9.6%, 2nd cat

Intermediate sprint: Genolhac, km111

This stage is followed by a well-deserved rest day.

Another_Dutch_Guy said:
By the way: I really like your Tour the France, rghysens. You've added a lot of climbs I would love to see in the Tour, like the Salève and the Col du Buis. It also seems that you share my preference for medium mountain stages.
Thanks!
Indeed, I like my high mountain stages really high. And if not, I'd rather design a good medium mountain stage.
But what cycling really needs is steep climbs, no mather how long or short. The days that you could grind your competitors to dust on 5-6% climbs seem to be long gone. Nowadays attractive cycling only seems possible on steep climbs, so I try to include some of them in the finale of my tour stages, but I also take notice of the necessities of the tour.

Jun 10, 2013
Volta à Região Norte - Tour of Northern Portugal

This is basicly a 1 week Fantasy Race I imagined for Portugal. It takes place in CenterNorth - North regions of the country, only. (Not related to the Volta a Portugal)

- Summer Time

Prologue: Figueira da Foz - Figueira da Foz _ 9.44km

Profile:

Prologue both starts and ends in Figueira da Foz, small city in Central/North coast of Portugal, know as holiday destination due to its famous beach(s). Small Hill Summit.

Edit: Image of location. Finish should be in the hills spoted in the background

Fantasy Giri d'Italia (Eshnar's all mountains editions)

Giro d'Italia (all mtns edition): Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 Stage 8 Stage 9 Stage 10 Stage 11 Stage 12 Stage 13 Stage 14 Stage 15 Stage 16 Stage 17 Stage 18 Stage 19 Stage 20 Stage 21 (Eshnar)

Giro d'Italia (2nd all mtn edition): Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 Stage 8 Stage 9 Stage 10 Stage 11 Stage 12 Stage 13 Stage 14 Stage 15 Stage 16 Stage 17 Stage 18 Stage 19 Stage 20 Stage 21 (Eshnar)

Giro d'Italia (3rd all-mtn edition): Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Stage 4 Stage 5 Stage 6 Stage 7 Stage 8 Stage 9 Stage 10 Stage 11 Stage 12 Stage 13 Stage 14 Stage 15 Stage 16 Stage 17 Stage 18 Stage 19 Stage 20 Stage 21 (Eshnar)

More will be added here as they are posted. All library posts are linked from the original post in the thread.

Jun 10, 2013
First Stage: Lousã - Castanheira de Pêra _ 196.90KM

Medium Mountain Stage with two 2nd category climbs. Should be O.K for a bunch sprint or even a breakaway. Nothing interesting should really happen here, just for riders to check their feelings for the upcoming mountains.

Profile:

Route:

Climbs:
2nd Cat - 22km to 36km
2nd Cat - 121km to 126km
3rd Cat - 184km to 190

Sorrounding Area Landscape:

PS: Please let me know if images or post itself are too big.

rghysens said:
Stage 15: Aubenas - Mende, 188km, medium mountains

If the contenders' legs didn't hurt after the previous stage, they sure will today. It is labeled as a medium mountain stage, but mainly because of the relative low altitude of the climbs and the gentle gradients of most. In reality it has more elevation gain than many high mountain stages in GT's and it counts no less than seven labeled climbs, good for a grand total of 69km of climbing.
In fact, the only flat part of the day are the first 25km. After that it's either uphill or downhil, untill the 4km to go sign.

Climbs:
Montée de Peyre: km38.5, 12.4km @ 5%, 2nd cat
Col du Mas de l'Ayre: km72, 15.5km @ 4.3%, 2nd cat
Col du Pré de la Dame: km95, 15.1km @ 5.9%, 1st cat
Col de la Croix de Berthel: km128, 6.8km @ 6.2%, 2nd cat
Col de Finiels: km148, 11.6km @ 5.7%, 1st cat
Col de la Loubière: km171.5, 4.7km @ 5.5%, 3rd cat
Montée de la Croix Neuve: km184, 2.8km @ 9.6%, 2nd cat

Intermediate sprint: Genolhac, km111

This stage is followed by a well-deserved rest day.
Quality stage. Pré de la Dame deserves more love.

Jun 10, 2013
Second Stage: Peniche - Pombal (Trough Caldas da Rainha and Marinha Grande) _ 198.41km

Probably the only stage completely suited for sprinters troughout the entire week. Stage starts in the fishers small town of Peniche, heading north trough Caldas da Rainha, Marinha Grande and finishing in Pombal. The finish line, altough quite long, has lots of roundabouts, making it difficult for teams to setup their trains. 90% of the stage will be made near the sea, providing a nice landscape.

Profile:

Route:

Peniche:

Jun 10, 2013
Third Stage: Viseu - Monte Farinha (Senhora da Graça(Mondim de Basto)) _ 158km

First Mountain Stage with two second category climbs and one first category summit finish at Mt. Farinha - Exiting quite hard climb.

Riders leave from the town of Viseu and head North to Mondim de Basto.

Route:

Profile:

Monte Farinha Climb - Average 6% ; Max 12% : 12km

Monte Farinha:

Jun 10, 2013
Stage 4: Guarda - Serra da Estrela (Torre) _ QueenStage _ 178km

Queen Stage starting in Guarda and heading south to the all-mighty Serra da Estrela, trough Seia and Sabugueiro till the Torre summit finish. This is the most famous climb in the country.

3 1st Category climbs, the last two on the Climb from Seia do Sabugueiro and from Sabugueiro to Torre.

Route:

Profile:

Torre:

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'Italia

Stage 12: Pistoia - Forli (165 KM)

After the hard stage of yesterday, today will be much easier. Despite that this stage crosses the Appenines, it would not make sense to make it very hard. As I've said, the previous stage was designed to encourage early attacks. So it would be stupid to scare them for today.

After the start in Pistoia the route heads to Prato, from where on the Appenines will be crossed on the way to Forli. I've chosen for one of the easier routes, thus leading to two 2nd category climbs in the first half of the stage. From there on, there is a long downhill until 35 Kilometres before the finish. So time enough to return to the front of the race. Hopefully, everyone succeeds; because with three small climbs the finale is tailor-made for a great battle between the sprinters and the puncheurs!

Dec 16, 2011
Giro d'Italia

Stage 13: Ravenna - Venice (179 KM)

Well, if you want to cross from the Appenines up to the North, there is no way to avoid the pancake flat Po Valley. I've tried to make the best of it. Most of the route follows the coast, and the last kilometres are even on a dike. So hopefully the wind can create some echelons on the way to Venice.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS