• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ferminal said:
These medium stages are the most difficult to make. Especially when you don't know the area at all. Originally I planned for this stage to be an "out" stage with a flat finish to the north. However, as the last elevated terrain for a long time, something decent needed to be done. But at the same time given the difficulties of the race so far, I didn't want it to be excessively difficult. A nice stage in the general direction is the one roundabout created to Saint-Jean-P-d-P.

The final 40km is contested mainly on narrow roads, but I did try and make sure they were good enough to race on, and keep them at the end where things should be splitting up anyway. It would be a nice area for an AGR style classic, mazing all over the place.

There are some reasonable ramps over the final few climbs, so I wouldn't discount some GC action occurring.

stage10map.jpg

stage10profile.png

stage10finale.jpg

15km Cat 3 Col d'Osquich 6.4km @ 4.9%
106km Cat 2 Puerto de Otxondo 10km @ 5%
126km Cat 3 Col d'Izpeguy 8.6km @ 4.3%
145km Cat 1 Col d'Elhorrieta 8.8km @ 7.3%
157km Cat 2 Banca Wall 4.2km @ 7.3%
170km Cat 2 Col d'Urdanzia 7.2km @ 6.4%

I'm plotting something that uses some of these as well - only I ended up taking it a different direction and ending by the coast. I have already posted up a short race specifically angled to this almost totally underused area, think it was the very first race of the thread even.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
As I wrote yesterday, I really have a thing for split stages. So in my second version of the Tour Méditerranéen, you will see more of these stages. It is also inspired by the Rallye Monte Carlo and I hope it brings some varieties to road racing as we know it. The race will start in Monte Carlo and finish in San Remo. These varities make time bonusses interesting and necessary. 10, 6 and 4 seconds at the finish of stages 1a, 2a and 3. 5,3 and 2 seconds in three intermediate sprints on the same stages.

Tour Méditerranéen II || Stage 1a, Monte Carlo - Sainte-Agnès, 83 km

smvkvk.jpg

The opener of this race reminds me a bit of Critérium International's second stage, when the race was held in the French ardennes. Here we have three major climbs and above all and uphill finale into Sainte-Agnès. 6,6 km with 6% won't allow any mistakes.

k9ona.jpg

Climbs
Cat.2 // Route d'Aspremont (524m), 7,7k @ 3.0%.
Cat.2 // La Turbie (460m), 8,8k @ 4.3%.
Cat 2 // Sainte-Agnès (620m), 6,6k @ 6.0%.

Monte Carlo
62488189.jpg

Sainte-Agnès
2134063.jpg

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Tour Méditerranéen II || Stage 1b, Sainte-Agnès - Col de la Madone (ITT), 4,3 km

oqex53.jpg

The afternoon stage is directly taken from the Rallye Monte Carlo. A short, two-part climb with a venomous ramp of 16% right from the start. Here you can take a look.

33bk8w5.jpg

Climbs
Cat.1 // Col de la Madone (933m), 4,3k @ 9,7%.

Col de la Madone
683.jpg

Netserk said:
Netserk's fantasy Tour de France

Stage 1: ITT 34 km. flat.

Stage 2: Flat stage that ends on Col de Saverne.

Stage 3: Boring flat.

Stage 4: ITT 52 km. flat.

Stage 5: flat

Stage 6: flat

Stage 7: Hard mountain stage ending on Plateau des saix

Stage 8: Middle mountain stage

Stage 9: Long and hard mountain stage ending on Val Thorens

-Rest Day-

Stage 10: Middle mountain stage

Stage 11: Middle mountain stage

Stage 12: flat stage.

Stage 13: ITT 58 km. flat.

Stage 14: MTF on the alpe d'huez

Stage 15: Long hard mountain stage with a descend finish.

-Rest Day-

Stage 16: Middle mountain stage

Stage 17: Middle mountain stage

Stage 18: flat stage.

Stage 19: MTT 47 km!!!

Stage 20: Very long very hard mountain stage ending on Col de Mantet

Stage 21: The usual Paris stage

That is 191 km of Time-Trialling

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Stage 2 - Palamós - Girona - 168.5km:

Map and Profile

Bunch sprint and the sprinters should make the most of it, although it has a slight rise at the finish in Girona so it won't favour a Guardini, but more a guy who is good on the uphill sprints, if Thor Hushovd were to ride, then he would my pick for line honours. Starting in the seaside town of Palamós, the peloton has some gradual climbing as ride the Mont-ras and on the outskirts of Palafrugell. The peloton will actually go through Girona before looping back around before the stage finish outside the Parc de la Devesa. One should not forget that there are normal training rides for the riders based in Girona (typically native-English speakers would be in the majority).

Palamós:

59483_4076_Palamos_Apartment.jpg

Girona:

gerona-girona-e1071.jpg

Stage 3 - Banyoles - Santa María de Palautordera - 209.5km:

Map and profile:

Today is a day for the breakaway as the peloton might want to take it easy if they know what is coming in the next two stages, although if any sprinters have their climbing legs, then hey, why not? The stage starts in Banyoles, and the first 50kms are not flat but undulating. The first real climb comes after 106km and is 9km long with the max. gradient of 16%. The descent leads down into the town of Vic (which according to climbbyike, the Alt de Permanyer is based around here, but I couldn't find it). The next climb starts in Seva as the peloton rides through the Parc Natural de Montseny with one section at 25% (although you should probably take it with a grain of salt though), before the descent into Santa María de Palautordera after 186.5km.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Stage 4 - Brega - Coll de Pal - 142km:

Map and profile

You wanted it, and ye shall receive. If you are a sprinter, you might want to head to Barcelona or Girona airport and fly home, or conveniently enough if you're based in Girona, well home is not far away. After a transfer to the town of Brega (also the host of stage 5) before the mammoth stage finish on the Coll de Pal. Normally the most direct route from Brega to the Col de Pall is less than 90km, but obviously it doesn't work like that. The peloton's first real test is at the town of Bagà, with a nice 2km ramp to weaken the legs, the altitude takes them to 2109m above sea level. The peloton will get close to the Spanish and French border, but they don't cross the border. After 122km, the peloton will start climbing at La Pobla de Lillet, the fun really starts at 133km, and if you're not having a good day, well bye bye. It's a slight downhill at the finish.

Coll_de_Pal_Baga_profile.gif

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Stage 5 - Berga - Boldís Sobirà - 191km:

Map and profile

After the Coll de Pall, surely the peloton would have an easier stage. You think so, but no. I'm going to introduce you to the Boldis Sobírà which I will assume has never been used in a race before and will surely get Libertine's tick of approval. Starting once again in Berga is climbing starting away and the peloton has some consistent gradients not to break everything apart. All well and good after 101km when the peloton passes through Ribera d'Urgellet where the agradients will test the legs of the weary peloton, still smarting from the Coll de Pal. The big climb of the day comes after 179km when the peloton will climb the Boldís Jussà which is 5km with a max. gradient at 15%. After a short descent, the peloton will start the Boldís Sobirà which is 9.6km with an average gradient of 5.6% bearing in mind the last 4.6km are the most difficult, but it will take you up to over 2000m above sea level and having already done a 5km climb, it will test the weary ones.

Boldís Sobirà:

Boldis_Sobira_Ainet_de_Cardos_profile.jpg

I'll finish the race off tomorrow.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The tour of Lebanon is a 1-week stage race.
It's a very tough race as it's mainly mountainous and there are very few opportunities for sprinters.
There is a big diversity in the terrain and landscape throughout the tour. The altitude varies from 0m to as high as 2600m.

The ToL starts with a 9-km prologue in the renovated beirut downtown (that was destroyed during the Lebanese civil war), not very technical. It starts in the Martyr's square, then go along the searoad, by the American University, then back at the Light-tower then Hamra (red) street. It might have one small difficulty, a short climb of 500 meters.

More stages will follow.

View of the downtown, still under reconstruction
lebanon.beirut.034.jpg

Mount Lebanon lurking in the background

Lebanon%20Shore%20from%20Balloon.jpg

Balcony%20View%20Day.JPG

And the stage details.

tdlprologue.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Stage 14: Dieppe - Valenciennes 223km

The whole idea of making a dash north was so that we could take in some 'stones. Things are going to get even worse for the Schlecks who have already suffered 100km on the TT bike and numerous descent finishes. There are several sections of Roubaix cobbles, starting in Orchies and finishing with Arenberg before the finish line in Valenciennes.

stage14map.jpg

stage14profile.png

185.5km Orchies 1.7km
190.5km Beuvry-la-Forêt à Orchies 1.4km
197km Tilloy à Sars-et-Rosières 2.4km
199.5km Brillon à Tilloy-lez-Marchiennes 1.1km
204.5km Millonfosse à Bousignies 1.4km
211km Trouée d’Arenberg 2.4km

Stage 15: Strasbourg - Belfort 240km

So much medium mountain potential in the Vosges. It is a long way to Belfort so I couldn't take in too many climbs, still got a reasonable enough stage though, and I couldn't resist an uphill finish.

stage15map.jpg

stage15profile.png

stage15finale.jpg

47km Cat 2 Col du Kreuzweg 13.2km @ 4.0%
67km Cat 3 Col de Fouchy 8.7km @ 3.9%
94km Cat 2 Col de Freland13.6km @ 3.5%
123km Cat 1 Col du Calvaire 13km @ 5.6%
183km Cat 2 Col du Hundsruck 9.5km @ 4.3%
210km Cat 1 Ballon d'Alsace 13.2km @ 5.1%
240km Cat 3 Fort du Salbert 4.8km @ 5.2%

Stage 16: Belfort - Geneve 231km

Originally I had planned this stage to end in Oyonnax, but I soon worked out that you can't have a flat finish there. Didn't particularly want a town in Switzerland as there's a start there coming up. Another option was going Bescanon -> Lyon, but that involves a transfer.

I actually wanted to make the stage completely flat, which was quite a challenge. I thought I better gift something to those sprinters who will not survive the Alps.

stage16map.jpg

stage16profile.png

Stage 17: Geneve - Le Bourget-du-Lac 108km

I could be committing a cardinal sin here, including Mont du Chat on a nothing stage, but again I was trying to make a decisive mountain stage as easy as possible, if that makes sense. Mont du Chat alone should be enough to force some racing.

Had to include the map in with the finale profile to show the 11 switchbacks they have to descend.

stage17map.jpg

stage17profile.png

stage17finale.jpg

95km HC Le Mont du Chat 17km @ 7.4%

Craig - the Coll de Pal is a much underused beauty and it's nice to see it indeed. Personally, I can't see much wrong with how you've used it; I might have climbed into La Molina on the long drag around to the north just to add a bit more to the riders' legs. Now, Boldís Sobirà? This looks very interesting. It's really 5km of false flat followed by "check me out, I'm Peña Cabarga at 2000m of altitude!" - something which can only meet with my approval since that's the good stuff. Shame Catalunya tends to play it safe with its routes more often than not though the lack of financial support obviously plays a major role in that.

Ferminal - I don't see too much wrong with your Mont du Chat stage - it's short, sure, but that climb could be enough on its own. The descent is pretty treacherous. And if you feel too worried about length you could always loop to the south of the lake, go over the Col du Chat (probably about a cat.2) then the fabled mountain, one of the Tour's most tragically underused.

nobilis - I am very interested by this. I noted when doing the Tour of Israel that it looked like there could be some very interesting roads to the north.

After all those stage races, it may be time for a 1 day race: a new ronde van vlaanderen.

A flat start with some cobbled sections (Lange Munte, Paddenstraat, Lippenhovestraat, Haaghoek) between km 110 and km 145, followed by first hill: Leberg. Then, in quick succession: Berendries, Muur van Geraardsbergen (km 165), Valkenberg, the cobbles in Mater (3km long), Eikenberg, cobbles of Mariaborrestraat (2km), Taaienberg (km 204), Berg ten Houte, Fortuinberg, Kruisberg, cote de Trieu (km 230), Oude Kwaremont (km 237), Paterberg (km 241) and Koppenberg (km 247)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
5km to go is a good place for Koppenburg IMO - the lead group will be small enough that it's less of a lottery in terms of who has to walk!

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
rghysens said:
After all those stage races, it may be time for a 1 day race: a new ronde van vlaanderen.

A flat start with some cobbled sections (Lange Munte, Paddenstraat, Lippenhovestraat, Haaghoek) between km 110 and km 145, followed by first hill: Leberg. Then, in quick succession: Berendries, Muur van Geraardsbergen (km 165), Valkenberg, the cobbles in Mater (3km long), Eikenberg, cobbles of Mariaborrestraat (2km), Taaienberg (km 204), Berg ten Houte, Fortuinberg, Kruisberg, cote de Trieu (km 230), Oude Kwaremont (km 237), Paterberg (km 241) and Koppenberg (km 247)

Good !
Wind coming from the east, so I'll just attack @ around km210 at the Fortuinberg, like ca.100 other riders, after they realized that I am gone with the wind.
You heard it here first.
I hope Bartoli will be 2nd.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Craig - the Coll de Pal is a much underused beauty and it's nice to see it indeed. Personally, I can't see much wrong with how you've used it; I might have climbed into La Molina on the long drag around to the north just to add a bit more to the riders' legs. Now, Boldís Sobirà? This looks very interesting. It's really 5km of false flat followed by "check me out, I'm Peña Cabarga at 2000m of altitude!" - something which can only meet with my approval since that's the good stuff. Shame Catalunya tends to play it safe with its routes more often than not though the lack of financial support obviously plays a major role in that.

Ferminal - I don't see too much wrong with your Mont du Chat stage - it's short, sure, but that climb could be enough on its own. The descent is pretty treacherous. And if you feel too worried about length you could always loop to the south of the lake, go over the Col du Chat (probably about a cat.2) then the fabled mountain, one of the Tour's most tragically underused.

nobilis - I am very interested by this. I noted when doing the Tour of Israel that it looked like there could be some very interesting roads to the north.

If the ski resorts have the cash and are willing to pay, I don't see how there can be a problem. Of course in my parallel universe the economic crisis of Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain, and Italy is a thing of the past.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Stage 6 - Tarragona - Tarragona - 210.5km:

Map and Profile

After the fun of stages 4 and 5 and the long transfer to Tarragona, stage 6 will start and finish here and could end in a sprint, but it wouldn't be surprising if a break won.

Stage 7 - Tarragona - Vilanova i la Geltrú - 195.5km:

Map and profile

Almost a carbon copy of stage 10 of the 2010 Vuelta which Imanol Erviti won. Usually the Volta finishes in Barcelona, but I wanted something different and I couldn't get a selective course in Barcelona and we had the prolouge and the start of stage 1 there anyway. The only difference is that mine is 20km longer, although I have no idea how Unipublic were able to get 20km off (the Vuelta stage was 175km), and I've practically copied their stage right until the Rat Penat, but the extra 20km won't hurt the peloton, and there is a few more hills in there to make the race more exciting and I would back a solo breakaway to win (like how Erviti did).

TRENDING THREADS