• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Design Thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage 4: Djúpivogur - Neskaupstaður, 174km

1zdrqme.png

2lm1nxv.png

Climbs:
Öxi (cat.1) 9,4km @ 5,5%
Stefansbud (cat.2) 2,0km @ 10,2%
Norðfjarðarvegur (cat.3) 1,7km @ 7,1%
Oddskarð (cat.1) 7,0km @ 9,5%

Before we start here, I will explain the logistics, as this is a lengthy transfer to a small community on the east of the island. After the third stage, much of the equipment will be driven along the ring road to the town of Höfn í Hornafirði. Höfn only has the one hotel, so naturally it is not capable of holding an entire race caravan, even for such a small event, so for this I have catered with the provision of boats, possibly cruise-style, to house people overnight. They will come in handy for riders and teams during this eastern leg of the race as small towns are unable to cater for the quantity of people arriving. The riders themselves will stay in Keflavík, close to the airport, before flying to Höfn airstrip early on the next day, when they will then take a shorter transfer by team bus to the small fishing town of Djúpivogur, where this longest stage of the race begins.

The scenery starts off as it means to go on in this stage, with one of the first sights being this waterfall. Maybe it's not the Sottoguda Gorge, but it's not bad, huh? After a short run on this the climb of Öxi begins. Here is an account from a German cyclotourist of the trials and tribulations of this infamous road - very smooth surface, but still noticeably a dirt road. While the riders are forcing their way up this gradual climb, the helicopters can look at the scenery. 5,5% is not enough to kill, but on unpaved roads it probably can cause a bit of damage. The road's in better nick than this now, but let's face it... this is not fun. The ascent at Stefansbud, actually a short and very steep rise that is a separate part of Öxi, is more of a threat, being over 10% on similar roads, but being back on Route 1, they are at least somewhat smoother and rideable. I wanted to put some suffering in the riders' legs ahead of the closing stages, but wanted to make sure that luck with regard to punctures and so on wouldn't be totally decisive, so these are a long, long way from the finish. The road starts to level out and the tarmac begins again, much to the riders' relief, on our way to Breiðdalsvík. This dramatically located fishing town is the start of the second part of our stage.

The roads from Breiðdalsvík along the coast are sweeping and grandiose; the Suðurfjarðavegur takes us along dramatic roads around Stöðvarfjörður, the glorious vistas of Fáskrúðsfjörður, before heading inland towards Fjarðabyggð through the Reyðarfjörður Tunnel. For this reason you must ignore the sharpest spike on the profile - it does not exist.

After leaving Fjarðabyggð, there is a small categorised climb on the coast road heading to Eskifjörður, an important town and port for eastern Iceland, but more importantly for the day's cycle racing, the base of our final climb for the day. On this picture of the town you can see the climb snaking away on the left hand side, as the road starts to turn dramatically uphill. The climbing up incredible landscape snaking its way up to the ski resort at Oddskarð is 7km long, but it averages a punishing 9,5%, and as you can see from the profile, there's not much in the way of let-up - it's 3km at 9%, followed by one at just 6%, then 3km at over 11%, with those last 2km being the toughest of all. The summit of the climb is just 15km from the line too, so expect plenty of GC action here - the riders have just got a similarly steep and fast descent and then a 5km flat run in to Neskaupstaður, a key fishing town on the edge of the Nörðfjörður, to finish. This will really turn the GC upside down no doubt, as this is definitely a climber's finish.

Djúpivogur:
E7-D0-BF-19-1A-CA-12-FD-CC-02-02-F6-B9-60-75-4C-13-DE-41-07.jpg

Neskaupstaður:
Neskaupstadur-MND-050822-099.jpg

(on that - I encourage you all to check out Mats Wibe Lund's site - the Icelandic Image Library. Some really breathtaking stuff in there)

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Tour of Scandinavia

Well, it took me a long time, but finally I can present you the Tour of Scandinavia! As some of you already mentioned, it was quite hard to design a challenging course, since Scandinavians does not seem to bother to build roads through the mountains. And when they do, they make a tunnel. Therefore I have reduced the lenght of this race from 3 to 2 weeks.

This tour will make use of the political definition of Scandinavia, which means that the route will bring us to Sweden, Denmark and Norway, but not to Iceland and Finland. A fun thing is that each weekend one of the capitals will be highlighted. The first weekend Stockholm, The second weekend Kobenhavn and the third weekend Oslo will be visited.

Prologue: Stockholm (7 KM)

As stated, the race will kick off in one of Europe's most beautiful city's: Stockholm. This short time trial will bring the riders from the 'Stadshuset' to the 'Opera' of Stockholm, while passing through all the other tourist attractions in this city. The course is flat, straightforward and thus quite easy. But that doesn't matter: there is still enough to come!

prologue.png

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Another_Dutch_Guy said:
As stated, the race will kick off in one of Europe's most beautiful city's: Stockholm. This short time trial will bring the riders from the 'Stadshus' to the 'Opera' of Stockholm, while passing through all the other tourist attractions in this city.

I'm really looking forward to see your Tour of Scandinavia. I have one remark though, if you start at the play button you actually go from the Opera to Stadshuset (City hall).

Otherwise I agree with Alpe, I really enjoy reading this thread.

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
hoerpi said:
I'm really looking forward to see your Tour of Scandinavia. I have one remark though, if you start at the play button you actually go from the Opera to Stadshuset (City hall).

For the rest of the thread I agree with Alpe, I really enjoy reading this thread.

Haha, indeed you are right. I have changed the direction because otherwise a lot of turnarounds were required to take the bridges in the right direction.;)

Stage 2:Mora - Nipfjallet (166 KM)

This is just the second road stage, but it will already be a tricky one. Officially the Flatruetvägen is considered as Swedens highest road, but that is not entirely true. The road to Nipfjallet is higher. However, it is a military road. Luckily the organizer - me:D - has a lot of lobbying skills, and therefore it should be no problem to organize a stage finish over there.

The finishing climb is quite hard, but should not provide real big gaps. After passing through Idre the road will go gradually up with percentages around 6%. Then, after a short decent it is time for the final kick at the military road. The last 4 kilometres averages 8%, while peaks over 10% will be reached. Definetely, a climber will lead after this stage!

stage2u.png

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Stage 3: Särna - Hövfjallet (206 KM)

This is just the third road stage. Still, it is already time for the second MTF! Today's stage starts rather easy, but will become more lumpy towards the finish. The final climb to the Hövfjallet ski station will be definetely decisive. This is a rather gradual climb (5 KM at 6,5 %). However, halfway is a tricky section of 2,5 KM at 8,5%.

stage3.png

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Stage 5: Mariestad - Huskvarna (178 KM)

This stage will bring the peloton from the largest to the second largest lake of Sweden. And again, it will be a tricky one. The first 2/3 of the stage is rather flat, but when the borders of the Vättern lake are reached, the terrain becomes rolling. The real trouble starts when the peloton reaches the three local rounds in Huskvarna, since each round consists the Norra Klevaliden climb. This climb might seem easy (average of 6% over 3,5 KM), but the numbers tell a wrong story since most of the hight will be gained in the first 1,5 KM. This part averages 10%! The finish is nearby the city along the Vättern lake.

stage5.png

Tour of Java - Prologue
Jakarta (Istiqlal Mosque) - Jakarta (Merdeka Square) - 6.97 Km

2ii94eh.jpg

m7tfkm.jpg

The long awaited first asian GT takes place in Indonesia, home of some of the most beautiful unknown volcanic climbs of the whole world.
We start in classic fashion with a city prologue. The course is completely flat, no significant gap to be made. Riders will leave just in front of the Istiqlal Mosque, the largest mosque in Southeast Asia and finish off in Medan Merdeka.

Istiqlal Mosque
istiqlal.jpg

Medan Merdeka
TUGU%2BMONAS%2BAT%2BNIGHT%2BTIME.jpg

Tour of Java - Stage 1
Bogor - Anyer, 214.8 Km

2mpeb1t.jpg

16h2s7s.jpg

First stage of the Tour will take us from the city of Bogor to a small village on the sea called Anyer, known for his ospitality and for being the port to Krakatau volcano.

First 40 kms of the stage are slightly downhill, then it's completely flat till the finish line. Don't mind the small bump aroun 30 kms from Anyer since gradients never go above 2%. The stage is fairly long and can esxpose riders to strong cross winds coming from the ocean in the last section. Anyway, barring crashes, this is entirely for the sprinters.

Bogor
istana+bgr.jpg

Anyer
Pantai%2BAnyer%2B1.jpg

I'm sure the peloton will enjoy a relaxing massage on these white beaches.

Looking forward to these. I know very little of the possibilities for racing in Sweden (other than Huskvarna because of the old Tour of Sweden queen stages there) and Denmark (other than Vejle because of Kiddevej) so these should be interesting, even if I still expect most of the most important stages will take place in Norway (as they should, given the terrain of the countries!). Also, the direction of the route is interesting to me because it isn't what I expected - similar to roundabout's Peace Race, which kept me on my toes.

Java will be similarly exciting to me because I don't know much about the terrain in southeast Asia in terms of racing potential, so this will be a learning experience for me.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Libertine, I loved your Tour de France. It was probably the closest to the one I would design that I have ever seen.

Rather than go through all the trouble of mapping, I will just list the changes I would make to turn it into my dream race.

I would find a way to include Puy de Dome. I don't care how unrealistic it is. That is why it is a dream tour.

I would spend one day in the Vendee and have a trip over the Passage du Gois, like in 1999. I would put it closer to the finish, about 10km to the finish?

I liked your Paris-Roubaix stage, however, I would consider removing some of the cobbled sections, and focus on the three hard sections -- Arbre, Mons-en-Pevele, and Arenberg Forest. Then I would put the finish line close to the end of the Arenberg Forest.

I would love to figure out a way to use the Col d'Izoard and the Cime de la Bonette in the Alps. I thought the use of the Bonette in the Tour a few years ago was a great race and even better TV images. It looked like they were on top of the Earth.

I am intrigued by the idea of climbing Alpe d'Huez by another route (I can't think of the nearby col's name) and then descending Alpe d'Huez instead of climbing it. And then, going to Les Deux Alpe, because it seems like we are overdue for a return there.

Other than that, I can't immediately think of anything I would want to include.

Stage 5: Borgarfjarðarhreppur - Vopnafjörður, 160km

wrgxg7.png

2ldy25x.png

Climbs:
Geldingafjall (cat.2) 5,5km @ 7,3%
Hellisheiði (cat.1) 7,0km @ 9,9%

Some of the riders will rest overnight in Egilsstaðir, but I would expect it's boats for most of them before today's stage, which starts in probably the tiniest place to host a pro race that there has ever been; Bakkagerði is the biggest settlement in the Borgarfjarðarhreppur municipality, which at last census had the whopping total of 141 inhabitants. However, this stage is more based around Fljótsdalshérað, the municipality in which much of the stage takes place.

The stage is similar in design to yesterday's; starting in the small coastal hamlet allows us to open the stage up with a decent-sized climb on sterrato up to Geldingafjall, a summit in the Elf mountains. After that, however, the stage is full of flatness, as the riders pass up the sides of the Lágarfljót, a long lake through which the river of the same name flows. It's actually more a stream of attractive lakes linked by wide river stretches, but them sharing the same name allows us to treat it as one continuous entity. nice paved roads take us around Hallormsstaðarskógur, Iceland's biggest forest, and past Hengifoss, another of Iceland's great waterfalls. There's actually a Loch Ness-style mythical beast in Lágarfljót, called Lagarfljótsormurinn, or "The Lágarfljót Worm".

The intermediate sprint will take place at the top of Lágarfljót, in the town of Egilsstaðir, the largest settlement in eastern Iceland with over 2250 inhabitants. After this, the riders will head back towards the north coast over the opposite side of Lágarfljót; you can see the road snaking away from the town in this shot as the riders head towards the big punishment of the day.

It's back to the sterrato-styled climbing, with this winding road up to Hellisheiði, with the riders gasping for mercy over 7km of ludicrously punishing, dramatic ascent at a shade under 10%. This is the profile, with more tolerable stages at 6% tempered by some really tough stuff, with the 6th kilometre being especially brutal, averaging a mind-boggling 14%! This one should have people in very small groups, cresting with 28km to go, so riders will need to do some hard work if they want to ensure they make the most of the advantages to be gained on these harsh climbs. The first half of the descent is comparatively shallow, which is good as it's unpaved. The steeper bottom half of it is at least tarmac as the riders arrive back at the coast. There is still time for a last glorious waterfall before the frenetic, rolling last 20km into Vopnafjörður, fabled town of dragons and today's finishing town.

Borgarfjarðarhreppur:
4930125994_f0e6a61ee2_z.jpg

Vopnafjörður:
vopnafjor_ur.jpg

Tour of Java - Stage 2
Pandeglang - Pelabuhan Ratu, 194,2 Km

x2t5p0.jpg

56tyx.jpg

Climbs:
Cikarang (Cat. 2): 8,6 km @ 3,7%
Cilebang (Cat. 2): 5,5 km @ 5,1%
Ciparay (Cat. 2): 2,8 km @ 13,1%
Unknown climb (Cat. 2): 3,1 @ 11,1%
Cibadak (Cat. 1): 4,7 @ 9,8%
Unknown climb (Cat. 2): 2,5 km @ 7,9%
Ridogalih (Cat. 1): 6,4 @ 7,7%

Second stage will give us a taste of the road conditions in this beautiful part of the world and likely some action from the top riders of the bunch. It starts from the city of Pandeglang, stays flat for about 65th km and then takes off.

There are seven climbs providing points for the KoM battle, plus many more bumps along the way. Riders will forget how a flatland looks like, going up and down for 130 kms and a total gain of 3300m.

Last climb is roughly 20 kms from the finish but then a steep and technical descent brings us to Pelabuhan Ratu, giving the brave ones extra motivation to try and attack from afar. Even if the climbs weren't enough, the narrow roads and tricky turns placed throughout the course will make it impossible to control the race. Add some monsonic rains in the mix and this could turn out to be a legendary stage.

Pandeglang
4282230256_9f47e5e610.jpg

Pelabuhan Ratu
Pelabuhan-Ratu-Beach-sukabumi.jpg

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see some mockups of what might be a good 2016 course for Rio. I wonder if I could work the Pico das Agulhas Negras into it, if I want to get REALLY adventurous...an MTF for the Olympics, perhaps?

I'd think it would be more than enough to have the finish within the city at one of the great landmarks.

About 8km at just under 7% will take you to the base of this:
251547802_68e4efc839.jpg

Also, if you want a HC MTF, then why not climb up into Petrópolis taking the Estrada Velha de Estrela? It's about 13km at 6%. But there's a twist:

24793301.jpg

InicioEstrEstrelaRaiz.jpg

1947-serra_velha.jpg

...the entire thing is cobbled.

Tour of Yemen - 10

Stage 10: Ibb - Ibb [ITT]; 54 km

From the start of this ITT it's 8 km long out of the city downhill. After this descent route turns backto Ibb and unsurprisingly it's uphill. The steepest section is 2 km long and averages over 11%.
Route follows some good quality wide roads. Firstly it goes around whole city and then comes into Ibb. Here you can see some photosfrom the roadencircling the city. It contains some short steep ascents too.
The last part in the actual city is almost completely flat and has more straight sections. Finish is near Ibb University and International Stadium.

Climbs:
Ibb (12) - 3,8 km; 8,3%
Ibb (22) - 1,6 km; 8,5%
Ibb (32) - 3,2 km; 7%

34q0fbp.jpg

yc7m1.jpg

SetonHallPirate said:
I'd love to see some mockups of what might be a good 2016 course for Rio. I wonder if I could work the Pico das Agulhas Negras into it, if I want to get REALLY adventurous...an MTF for the Olympics, perhaps?

The centre is in the Flamengo area. Looking the altitude info, they can make it up to 200 m very close to that. (and as you probably know, Rio is at the sea level so it's quite a lot).

But I'm not sure how it would be for the finish. So at this point I may see it's more likely to be route like Salzburg WC which was going to end with bunch sprint until that trick by Xavier Florencio under the bridge. Didn't work as well as planned as Xavi was fifth going into it, Bettini won from Zabel and Valv.

Tour of Java - Stage 3
Sukabumi - Sukabumi, 162.2 Km

2po63hy.jpg

2irqaa1.jpg

Climbs:
Megarhendung (Cat. 2) - 5.9 km @ 6,4%
Puncak Pass (Cat. 1) - 14,7 km @ 5,7%
Cikahuripan (Cat. 2) - 6,5 km @ 5%

On this third stage of the Tour we're leaving the west coast and we get to know some of the geological marvels of the island. Riders will get on their bikes in Sukabumi, a medium size city placed on a highland, with a cooler climate.On the background, the colossal Mount Pangrango dominates the scenery.
Roads cannot take us to the very top of the 3000mt beast so I decided to make a loop around it and give a chance to stage hunters or maybe some strong sprinter.

We start off heading north. Parcours is flattish until Caringin, we pass through Bogor and turn east on a mild descent. At km 81 we meet the first climb of the day (6km @ 6%), reach Megarhendung for a 4km flat section, then start the climb to the biggest threat of the day, the Puncak Pass (14,7km @ 5,7%). As a whole, it is not a hard climb, but beware the last 5kms which are at average 10%.
From here 30kms of downhill and the mild climb of Cikahuripan. From the top of it, sprinters' teams have 16kms to make it back.

Mount Pangrango and surroundings
gunung-pangrango.jpg

There are lots and lots of hills they could use, but many of them have favelas either on or around them so that may limit the choice. They could always go across the bay and hold it in Niteroi, which would give plenty of options for a very tough and exciting race.

I have been looking at a Brazil race, which has a Rio stage in it, but that's a long way from being posted.

Stage 6: Húsavík - Hlíðarfjall, 150km

20h6iqh.png

2r2wsjc.png

Climbs:
Kísilvegur (cat.3) 1,3km @ 6,2%
Engivatn (cat.2) 4,0km @ 5,5%
Hrossadalur (cat.2) 5,0km @ 6,4%
Hlíðarfjall (cat.1) 6,9km @ 7,1%

It's time for the queen stage of this Tour of Iceland, on the penultimate day. Riders who have already fought their way over Oddskarð's 9% gradients and the 10% average of Hellisheiði will now have to sort themselves out in the race's only MTF.

The stage starts on the north coast in Húsavík, which is, according to the Landnámabók, actually the oldest Norse settlement in Iceland; its name meaning "bay of houses". This is a picturesque settlement known as the Whale-Watching capital of the country, for which the town obtains vital tourist money. The riders start by moving south on Highway 87, or Kísilvegur, which is a long and gradual ascent up to 400m above sea level. Some very dramatic scenery to pass here too. There's only one steeper section here which is categorised as a climb. Though some stretches remain unpaved, road construction along this stretch continues apace, so there may well be some shiny new tarmac for the (Bavarian)riders too. The first phase of the stage ends with a tour of the amazing backdrop of Lake Mývatn.

The riders return to Þjóðvegur, the ring road, to head back northwest towards Þingeyjarsveit, over the small climb towards Engivatn. This shouldn't be too much to challenge the riders, especially given that they're going over much more typical road conditions than at other times in the race. After this it's a nice slow rolling stretch heading towards the Greenland Sea, heading over some winding roads over a mid-length climb up from the Hrossadalur valley, and crossing the summit offers stunning views of the Eyjafjörður.

There are 27 kilometres remaining when they descend down to the edges of the fjörd, at the small village of Svalbarðsstrandarhreppur, and for the next 20km they will loop around the fjörd into the de facto capital of north Iceland, the beautiful fishing port of Akureyri. This coastal city is Iceland's second biggest urban centre, with a dramatic, modern church and some other interesting architecture.

From the side of the Eyjafjörður, the summit finish is 7km away, at the Ski Station at Hlíðarfjall. The first 2km are at just about 3% through the town, but then the gradients start to rise. You can see the mountain from which the ski station takes its name looming before you, and the riders will recognise the suffering as the gradients get steeper as the climb continues. The road gradually becomes tougher, with the next two kilometres at 5-6%, but the last 3 kilometres are where the real damage will be done; averaging 10%, 10,5% and 9,9% respectively. These roads stretch to the sky, and though there will have been plenty of opportunities in the previous two stages to gain time, this stage will have the most direct time gaps, as there is no chance to make the time back - this is a tough finish. Like Mende on top of four kilometres of preparation on slowly steepening roads, the riders will suffer here for sure, but it's not so long that it's totally decisive for the GC.

Húsavík:
Husavik.jpg

Hlíðarfjall:
ts

TRENDING THREADS