• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race ready ?s

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm bkrbliss, a super newbie who will fill out my profile later (after class), lol.

Anyway, I have been interested in cycling since I was able to ride a bike, so about six or seven. I have a few issues though:

How do you determine if you are race ready? I want to join a cycling team post graduation (from college, yes, I'm "old", 22...lol), as I'm currently not affiliated with anyone. Independently I ride about 100-150 miles per week on an old, used bike that was given to me but I am in desperate need of a new one. I'm a female (black).

I plan to ease into racing in about a year-year and a half, so I have some time. I do all my training and such on my own since I can't even afford a car right now. This is fine, as I am a newbie personal trainer and fitness in general is my domain. However, I'm sure you are aware of the drawbacks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
bkrbliss

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Are you a bicycle commuter? If you're riding a 150 miles a week, I'd say you have a good start. One suggestion I would make is intervals. I've learned, at least about myself, that my body responds more to time in my training than distance or speed. I train consistently 5-6 days a week about 30 min-hour doing a specific interval workout. Also early in the offseason, or if I don't anticipate racing for a while, I hit the gym for some core workouts; cyclists notoriously overlook their core. Use this as a to supplement bike training, not to replace it.

When you feel strong, enter a race and just try to maintain pace and test your legs; don't go for the win just yet. Another thing you can do is enter a non race event, like a century or metric. Often times, you'll find people that push the pace and break off the front like in a race, and you can test yourself without the added pressure of a race environment. It can be a good opportunity to test your legs.

Edit: I'd also suggest building a relationship with an established local bike shop. I joined a team after college, and it was primarily set up through the bike shop I always went to. I met most of the team there, got to know the guys, eventually they invited me on rides, and asked me to join the team. Sometimes joining a team is just as much about personalities as it is your skill level.

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
If you tell where you're probably someone can help by giving some info about local (female) teams where you could start with.

Thanks for replying!

I'm not totally sure if I'll be remaining near my school after graduation (depends on employment), but I'm currently in Bowling Green, Ohio. It's about 20 miles South of Toledo, Ohio.

If I decide to return home, I'll be in Cleveland, Ohio.

ImmaculateKadence said:
Are you a bicycle commuter? If you're riding a 150 miles a week, I'd say you have a good start. One suggestion I would make is intervals. I've learned, at least about myself, that my body responds more to time in my training than distance or speed. I train consistently 5-6 days a week about 30 min-hour doing a specific interval workout. Also early in the offseason, or if I don't anticipate racing for a while, I hit the gym for some core workouts; cyclists notoriously overlook their core. Use this as a to supplement bike training, not to replace it.

When you feel strong, enter a race and just try to maintain pace and test your legs; don't go for the win just yet. Another thing you can do is enter a non race event, like a century or metric. Often times, you'll find people that push the pace and break off the front like in a race, and you can test yourself without the added pressure of a race environment. It can be a good opportunity to test your legs.

Edit: I'd also suggest building a relationship with an established local bike shop. I joined a team after college, and it was primarily set up through the bike shop I always went to. I met most of the team there, got to know the guys, eventually they invited me on rides, and asked me to join the team. Sometimes joining a team is just as much about personalities as it is your skill level.

Thanks for your reply, yes I'm a commuter. The terrain here is really flat as opposed to home, so I also use the exercise bikes at the gym to get some incline.

I hit the gym just about everyday and ride for about 30-40 minutes. Any longer and it doesn't seem beneficial, at least for me. I also do calisthenics and weightlifting.

I've been thinking of entering a century, so it sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm about to enter a charity run for a local children's hospital that will last 180 miles over 4 days, but it's more of a leisurely run. I'm going to use to opportunity to get more of a real feel for my endurance though. I used to be a sprinter (main race 400m) in high school, and endurance was always my trouble spot. My main issue was I didn't push myself enough, but I also plateaued easily and had to tweak my workouts more often than others. I found that annoying ended up slacking often. Thankfully that hasn't been too much of an issue for me now.

I'll definitely check out bike shops in the area. I need to visit one anyway to see if I can "barter" for a bike. I'm also a web developer and was going to try and set up and maintain a shop's website in exchange for or partly in exchange for a nice bike. Hopefully it works, if not then it's more overtime at work for me, lol.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
All good advice.

In Denver there is a woman who specializes in coaching women who are brand new to the sport.

There is probably one in your town, too.

Some tips:

Seek the advice and coaching of an experienced rider.

Avoid large group rides until you are comfortable riding with three or four other riders in an organized pace-line.

Never be afraid to ask questions. On a ride, find a nice looking person and introduce yourself as a new rider. Let people know you are looking for advice.

Always focus on safety first.

Have fun!

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
bkrbliss said:
Thanks for replying!

Thanks for your reply, yes I'm a commuter. The terrain here is really flat as opposed to home, so I also use the exercise bikes at the gym to get some incline.

I hit the gym just about everyday and ride for about 30-40 minutes. Any longer and it doesn't seem beneficial, at least for me. I also do calisthenics and weightlifting.

I've been thinking of entering a century, so it sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm about to enter a charity run for a local children's hospital that will last 180 miles over 4 days, but it's more of a leisurely run. I'm going to use to opportunity to get more of a real feel for my endurance though. I used to be a sprinter (main race 400m) in high school, and endurance was always my trouble spot. My main issue was I didn't push myself enough, but I also plateaued easily and had to tweak my workouts more often than others. I found that annoying ended up slacking often. Thankfully that hasn't been too much of an issue for me now.

I'll definitely check out bike shops in the area. I need to visit one anyway to see if I can "barter" for a bike. I'm also a web developer and was going to try and set up and maintain a shop's website in exchange for or partly in exchange for a nice bike. Hopefully it works, if not then it's more overtime at work for me, lol.

If you're getting your heart rate up and keeping a solid cadence on that spin bike then keep it up, just incorporate intervals into your workout. Intervals are so vital to one's training, especially if they don't have the time to put in hours each day, like a time crunched student. They build power, endurance, and, most importantly, they teach your body to recover, which ultimately allows you to go faster. Everything a cyclist needs. If you're concerned with climbing, there are other workouts I've been taught that can train your body to climb while riding flats.

It sounds like you're in very good shape, but about the weight lifting, a lot of cyclists don't recommend it as there is really no cycling benefit, but I do maintain a small weighlifting regimen that really just serves to keep me toned, improve core strength, and fast twitch muscles (since I fancy myself a sprinter). Many other cyclists I know do the same thing, but mainly in the offseason. I don't recommend getting into the gym and lifting a ton of weight on a bench press or anything like that. That will just bulk you up too much for cycling.

Keep in mind this is just what works for me and other cyclists I've raced with and trained with. What others are saying about coaching is absolutely right. If you're serious about about racing, coaching is invaluable. I have a former continental professional advising me right now, and giving me workouts based on my strengths. I can give you a basic workout, but personalized coaching would have the most benefit....if you can afford it.

The best thing you can do is just to get involved in the local cycling scene. Like David Suro said seek the advice of more experienced riders in your area; most will be happy to give it.

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
If you're getting your heart rate up and keeping a solid cadence on that spin bike then keep it up, just incorporate intervals into your workout. Intervals are so vital to one's training, especially if they don't have the time to put in hours each day, like a time crunched student. They build power, endurance, and, most importantly, they teach your body to recover, which ultimately allows you to go faster. Everything a cyclist needs. If you're concerned with climbing, there are other workouts I've been taught that can train your body to climb while riding flats.

It sounds like you're in very good shape, but about the weight lifting, a lot of cyclists don't recommend it as there is really no cycling benefit, but I do maintain a small weighlifting regimen that really just serves to keep me toned, improve core strength, and fast twitch muscles (since I fancy myself a sprinter). Many other cyclists I know do the same thing, but mainly in the offseason. I don't recommend getting into the gym and lifting a ton of weight on a bench press or anything like that. That will just bulk you up too much for cycling.

Keep in mind this is just what works for me and other cyclists I've raced with and trained with. What others are saying about coaching is absolutely right. If you're serious about about racing, coaching is invaluable. I have a former continental professional advising me right now, and giving me workouts based on my strengths. I can give you a basic workout, but personalized coaching would have the most benefit....if you can afford it.

The best thing you can do is just to get involved in the local cycling scene. Like David Suro said seek the advice of more experienced riders in your area; most will be happy to give it.

Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone :).

ImmaculateKadence: On the weightlifting, no bench pressing at all. I do just enough to stay toned and help keep some muscle definition. I'm usually the smallest thing on the weight area at the gym (about 5'5, and 125ishlbs.) and would likely cause people to turn their heads I if did any different, lol.

I'll begin doing intervals much more often, especially on the exercise bikes available (called Expresso something or other). It doesn't allow you to coast, which I initially hated about a year and a half ago but now find extremely beneficial. Today I only did a wimpy (for me, not sure how it measures up for others) 6 miles at about 25 mph-ish, as I ran out of time.

I can't quite afford a coach, and the best I can do is observe and research. The cycling coach at my university is helpful as well, but I only have about a month and a half left to use her as a resource. Hopefully I find the funds for a coach. I wouldn't dare start seriously racing without one.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
bkrbliss said:
Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone :).

ImmaculateKadence: On the weightlifting, no bench pressing at all. I do just enough to stay toned and help keep some muscle definition. I'm usually the smallest thing on the weight area at the gym (about 5'5, and 125ishlbs.) and would likely cause people to turn their heads I if did any different, lol.

I'll begin doing intervals much more often, especially on the exercise bikes available (called Expresso something or other). It doesn't allow you to coast, which I initially hated about a year and a half ago but now find extremely beneficial. Today I only did a wimpy (for me, not sure how it measures up for others) 6 miles at about 25 mph-ish, as I ran out of time.

I can't quite afford a coach, and the best I can do is observe and research. The cycling coach at my university is helpful as well, but I only have about a month and a half left to use her as a resource. Hopefully I find the funds for a coach. I wouldn't dare start seriously racing without one.

If you're doing enough weightlifting to stay toned and still getting plenty bike training in, you should be fine. Honestly, I can be a little vain and don't want to look horribly disproportioned in my race kit or on the beaches here in Florida. Being 6'2" and about 150-155 (depending on the point in the season), I'm use to those looks in the weight lifting area :eek:.

About the intervals, send me a PM, and I'll send you some basic workouts that I've received from some former pros that I've worked/ridden with. They have worked for me, but the cycling coach at your school might be a better resource as she has a better understanding of your fitness level.

You don't need coaching to race; it does help, but racing at Cat 5, it's really not necessary. If you get up to a Cat 3, and would like to move to Pro 1/2, then it would be beneficial. Some more experienced road racers may want to chime in on that one. I'm far more personally concerned with MTB racing and use road riding and racing as cross-training for the MTB.

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
If you're doing enough weightlifting to stay toned and still getting plenty bike training in, you should be fine. Honestly, I can be a little vain and don't want to look horribly disproportioned in my race kit or on the beaches here in Florida. Being 6'2" and about 150-155 (depending on the point in the season), I'm use to those looks in the weight lifting area :eek:.

About the intervals, send me a PM, and I'll send you some basic workouts that I've received from some former pros that I've worked/ridden with. They have worked for me, but the cycling coach at your school might be a better resource as she has a better understanding of your fitness level.

You don't need coaching to race; it does help, but racing at Cat 5, it's really not necessary. If you get up to a Cat 3, and would like to move to Pro 1/2, then it would be beneficial. Some more experienced road racers may want to chime in on that one. I'm far more personally concerned with MTB racing and use road riding and racing as cross-training for the MTB.

I'm glad to hear I don't quite need a coach at my current level. I'm hoping time will be on my side in terms of funds, and I'll have enough for a coach as I reach other levels.

Sending the PM...