• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race result numbering

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Why the goofy numbering in the results section.

Every rider from tenth-19th is listed as 1.
20-20 is listed as 2.
30-39 listed as 3.
Etc....

Can this rediculousness be fixed???

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Amateur at best

Spacing is all wrong for results and the rest of new site. You can't see the second digit because the name overlaps it. On my system, I can only see half of first number. Obviously the developers did not test design on multiple platforms and system configurations. I am using IE7 with XP -- pretty standard stuff. New site looks like amateur crap for me. Vertical and horizontal spacing goofs everywhere. Race results are the worst. In the same vertical space where I used to see every name in stage and overall results list, now I can only see top 20 with team name taking 3 lines under racer's name -- totally useless. Spending the weekend finding an alternative source of pro racing info. Cyclingnews has lost my patronage.

Regards.

suroroat said:
Spacing is all wrong for results and the rest of new site. You can't see the second digit because the name overlaps it. On my system, I can only see half of first number. Obviously the developers did not test design on multiple platforms and system configurations. I am using IE7 with XP -- pretty standard stuff. New site looks like amateur crap for me. Vertical and horizontal spacing goofs everywhere. Race results are the worst. In the same vertical space where I used to see every name in stage and overall results list, now I can only see top 20 with team name taking 3 lines under racer's name -- totally useless.

My XP laptop with IE 7 gives the same fubarred display. I just do not see how they could not have tested with XP and IE 7. It is simply unbelievable. If they hired an outside company to do the design then they should sue them for incompetence.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem with the numbering.

Could you also please fix the display of results. It's hard to tell where one section begins and the next begins. Could you possibly change the background on the title of each section to a different color or maybe the color of the print. There just needs to be an easier way to break up the sections.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Of all the things I check CN for, the results are the most important and it seems like it is the only thing they have not been able to fix completely. One day you can see the placings correctly but the headers overlap the 1st placing making it impossible to read who is leading then the next day you can't figure out what their placing is unless you sit in front of your computer a count down the list yourself.
Someone @ CN must be looking/checking their own site to see how everyone else is seeing it & have an IT person on hand to rectify the problem.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
IE8
6za54i.gif

Firefox 3.0.11
ojh54w.gif

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well they're not discriminating against XP with IE7, anyway. Things are just as messed up on my Mac running Safari. In fact, they actually managed to crash Safari - which is a very rare event, in my experience anyway. You have to look long and hard for a website with code botched enough to do that ...

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Mr.DNA said:
IE8
6za54i.gif

Firefox 3.0.11
ojh54w.gif

Thank you for sharing this issue. Ironically, IE7/XP is the default for the computer issued to Cyclingnews editors by Future :D
This is one of the fixes scheduled to roll out this week, so look for the results format to improve soon.

TRENDING THREADS