• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race thread: Olympics 2020/21 Tokyo, Men's Road Race, 234k

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
yep Rog has a very tongu in cheek sense of humopur in interviews

There when it was his birthday earlier in the year and some comms person was talking about how he may have limited time to win the Tour but also congratulating on his birthday

Rog said " Yeah I am getting older and older every day"
I know it was because of cramp but the way he kept moving and posing when being interviewed by Orla made him look like he was trying to seduce her with Zoolander moves

I criticized BBC for not showing the medal ceremony, but I haven't seen any pictures anywhere so I wonder if it's happened yet?
Yes, GCN stayed on for the whole thing. It was nice.
ETA - BBC is showing field hockey now; GB must have a chance of a medal as they tend to show those sports more than others. Expect lots of skeet shooting!

Last edited:
Evenepoel, Dumoulin and Roglic not looking too hot for wednesday based on today's result.
Evenepoel and Dumoulin were only marginally worse than I expected, but they're riders that can still TT even when their climbing is mediocre at best. Climbing doesn't come natural to them, TTing does.

Evenepoel will probably top-5 IMO. No steep sections in the TT. He could still podium, although it's not likely with WVA, Dennis and Ganna (who I had as the podium anyway, not necessarily in that order). He has a serious shot at a medal if one of the big 3 has an off-day.

Roglic although he finished better... I don't see it. He was as bad as I expected him to be. Has never TTed well if the form was not there IIRC. It wasn't hard to predict.

Reactions: spalco
So, did some executive at ES or GCN just have enough of Smith's monotonous and monotone crap and found some random kiwis instead?
He was terrible today - just kept on talking what he wanted to talk about even when there was some action.
Still better than a Liggett feed or from what people are saying the BBC.
Kept talking over people too and won't shut up about UK riders. We were hearing about Thomas long after he was out of contention. Sadly UK Eurosport is also Irish Eurosport and all we get is this waffling on about UK riders and he was more concerned about long gone Thomas but barely noticed Martin and Dunbar were still in the group.

The way the ARD went on about Schachmann all the time at least made me respect ES again, I often forget what I got when I stroll away.

Florian Naß is the worst in that regard. A couple of years ago I thought he was just trying to get the German audience interested in cycling again, but now I think he might either be a rabid nationalist or just thinks he can hide his general incompetence that way.

Kept talking over people too and won't shut up about UK riders. We were hearing about Thomas long after he was out of contention. Sadly UK Eurosport is also Irish Eurosport and all we get is this waffling on about UK riders and he was more concerned about long gone Thomas but barely noticed Martin and Dunbar were still in the group.

I like to think the producers switched in the last 5km as they knew the daft git would only talk about the chance of Yates winning a medal so had commentators without a horse in the race.
I don't usually write angry emails but I think today was the tipping point. I lost count of the times the other commentator tried to speak but Smith rambled on about crap no one cares about like his two years living in Arizona.
Anyway at least you have RTE for the rest of it so will get a decent balance of sport whereas BBC will focus on British medal hopes. When I was a kid I watched a couple of Olympics switching between both and the difference was quite eye opening.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Okaayyy

1. Van Aert best man in the race no doubt about it.
  2. Pogacar simply lacked the edge he had in the Tour de France. Might argue he peaked too early in the Tour
  3. Tour de France riders dominated the race. Most glaring in Roglic who wasn't close on Mikuni and wasn't even in the 2nd/3rd group behind.
  4. Evenepoel was disappointing compared to expectations. He would have made all the difference for Van Aert.
  5. McNulty made the winning move and in the end got *** all for it. Extremely bitter result for him
  6. I'm genuinely baffled by Belgium blowing up the race on Mikuni. They isolated Van Aert there.
  7. Olympic Gold in the end is unworthy of Vincenzo Nibali.
you probably meant:
7. Vincenzo Nibali in the end is unworthy of Olympic Gold.

• Sad
Reactions: TourOfSardinia