Race Thread

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Genuine question: I’ve still not seen a lot of MVPs riding compared to WVA’s road appearances, but from what I’m reading here and in other articles, on the road MVP is really well suited to do well (or perhaps dominate) at races like RVV and Amstel because he’ll so good at all the short climbs, repeated sprints out or all the corners (on those courses), and also wields a great finishing sprint. But does that translate to him matching WVA at Roubaix, where the biggest factors can be staying upright (they both should fare well compared to full-time roadies) and sustained power output? Of course, reading the race is also important there, but I don’t which of those two get the edge in that department. Thanks—starting to look forward to the Spring Classics season!

ed. Ah, sorry if this isn’t the right thread— I was following up Senna’s post about SB and Roubaix.
Hard to say exactly how it compares to WVA's, and I doubt he's too interested in time trials, but my guess is MVDP has plenty sustained power to win Roubaix multiple times. If you didn't catch stage 5 at BinckBank this year, you should check it out.

Reactions: Sciatic
Will Wout easily win the Belgian nationals in Meulebeke? Iserbyt looks to be off his game, Aerts not as previous years, MVanth a notch behind as are Sweeck. Can anyone touch Wout?

Oct 31, 2018
Will Wout easily win the Belgian nationals in Meulebeke? Iserbyt looks to be off his game, Aerts not as previous years, MVanth a notch behind as are Sweeck. Can anyone touch Wout?
Suposedly the parkour doesn't 100% suit WVA with a lot of turns and bends and few places where WVA can make use of his engine. The parkour suits Eli Iserbyt but he is struggeling with an injured elbow (or that's what he wants everyone to believe).

This being said, WVA is in top form and unless Iserbyt really has been playing hide and seek with his injury, only Michael Vanthourenhout has the ability to get near him imo.

Some videos from the 50's and 60's, worth watching:

Genuine question: I’ve still not seen a lot of MVPs riding compared to WVA’s road appearances, but from what I’m reading here and in other articles, on the road MVP is really well suited to do well (or perhaps dominate) at races like RVV and Amstel because he’ll so good at all the short climbs, repeated sprints out or all the corners (on those courses), and also wields a great finishing sprint. But does that translate to him matching WVA at Roubaix, where the biggest factors can be staying upright (they both should fare well compared to full-time roadies) and sustained power output? Of course, reading the race is also important there, but I don’t which of those two get the edge in that department. Thanks—starting to look forward to the Spring Classics season!

ed. Ah, sorry if this isn’t the right thread— I was following up Senna’s post about SB and Roubaix.
In theory, yes. Ronde and Amstel should suit Mathieu more, Roubaix and perhaps Strade should suit Wout more. Which isn't to say either can't win these races. Had Wout started the sprint in RvV 25 meters sooner, he would have won it. And i'm sure there are plenty of scenario's where Mathieu could win Roubaix as well.

Thanks for the videos -- the sport really hasn't changed much, apart from equipment and even that is more or less the same apart from better tires, wider gearing and clipless pedals. Even the courses look more or less the same, except for that rickety bridge crossing -- maybe a little more open then vs now?

Some videos from the 50's and 60's, worth watching:

In theory, yes. Ronde and Amstel should suit Mathieu more, Roubaix and perhaps Strade should suit Wout more. Which isn't to say either can't win these races. Had Wout started the sprint in RvV 25 meters sooner, he would have won it. And i'm sure there are plenty of scenario's where Mathieu could win Roubaix as well.
Thanks. Their matchup (though of course other riders will have their play as well) makes all those races even more enticing to watch in the years to come!

Is the Ostende race course the same every year?
As far as I can recall, it's only been used for the Belgian Champs in 2017. Judging by the course map, it looks the same as that year with the massive and steep flyover above the road and tramway. This split the two parts of the course. The Horse Racing Circuit where the start/finish/pits are on, with a few small banks and short cut grass that looked pretty slick and hard packed; and the Beach which was a mix of hard pack sand from the tide loose sand with a couple of lumps or 'dunes' that look man made.

Is there anywhere where one can watch the BK Meulebeke for those that aren't in Belgium?

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Sep 21, 2020
Good for you. Since you continue to put words into my mouth, this is totally pointless:

"But no technical skills required on this course" according to "Flamin"
So, you denie what you quoted yourself : "Technique was very negligible on this course".
Anyway, every cx-rider knows technique is requested to negotiate short curves, going downhill, off-camber, plowing through sand, and mud. A scala of (different) technical skills are required.

Fabio (van) Aru will be at the World Champs!

as reported in Gazzetta (in italiano)
He finished 10th in the nationals. I sort of see why he's going, but there again that result doesn't warrant a trip to the worlds. If we're just going on nationals results and not including international races and the Giro d'Italia CX series, then there are 9 riders ahead that should be looked at being selected for the quota of 5 riders. I don't think he's finished higher than fourth in the Giro CX, so what merits him getting a place at the world champs?

Reactions: Ulfhednar
^^CX is great, and all that...but when you have just 5-6 riders on the men's side (from 2 countries, plus Piddles) who are even capable of podiuming, let alone winning, any given top level race, then the sport is going to remain a sub-niche. The women's side is slightly more open, but only slightly.

Having said that, I love watching CX; just wish there was a way for more top-level road and XC pros from around the world to participate. But given the choice between 2 weeks' training in sunny Majorca or Gran Canaria -- or freezing your a** off while eating mud from MVDP....it's probably not a hard decision...

Reactions: Mick Dundee
^^CX is great, and all that...but when you have just 5-6 riders on the men's side (from 2 countries, plus Piddles) who are even capable of podiuming, let alone winning, any given top level race, then the sport is going to remain a sub-niche. The women's side is slightly more open, but only slightly.
So, basically like every other winter sport :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Sorry, i get a bit angry reading posts like this.

Reactions: Black Betsy

Having said that, I love watching CX; just wish there was a way for more top-level road and XC pros from around the world to participate. But given the choice between 2 weeks' training in sunny Majorca or Gran Canaria -- or freezing your a** off while eating mud from MVDP....it's probably not a hard decision...
Yeah, but not sure there are any road pros not currently racing cross that would have to worry about eating mud from MVDP for more than a lap or two or until he decided to do a hot lap.

ASK THE COMMUNITY