Race Thread

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Flobikes guys were intimating that MVDP and WVA may not even come over (to the USA) for the WC's. Not sure why they think that. Sounds kind've ridiculous that they would skip.
They're probably right. If they both do the road Worlds, then there is Il Lombardia, which is mid October, then they'll need a break before their CX season.

UCI World Cup calendar for next season. That USA rounds are pretty bad positioned.

With the World Champs in Fayetteville, why aren't the USA legs in the two weeks prior to the WC? Money savings for the Europeans, who don't need to take two trips around the globe during one season, more time to get rid of the jetlag (going from Hoogerheide, on a sunday, with the first races in Arkansas taking place on next saturday) and with Van Aert, Van der Poel and Pidcock most likely starting their cross seasons late once again, the american audience isn't going to see the biggest names of the sport on their World Cups.

10/10 Waterloo
13/10 Fayetteville
17/10 Iowa City
24/10 Zonhoven
31/10 Overijse
14/11 Tabor
21/11 Koksijde
28/11 Besançon
05/12 Lieu à attribuer
12/12 Lieu à attribuer
18/12 Antwerpen
19/12 Namur
26/12 Dendermonde
02/01 Hulst
16/01 Flamanville
23/01 Hoorgerheide
Ireland had been due to host a round in October 2020, but was put back to the 21-22 Series due to the Road season running late last year. It has not been named on that list, but most likely 5th December as Dublin is also hosting the European Cross-Country Championships on Dec 12th. Seems unlikely they would have two major events on same weekend(or hopefully not as I would likely attend both....if they go ahead).

I hope we are still getting to host a Round and now being in December, more likely to get all the big names which would likely draw more people. Van Aert and Van Der Poel are two names all cycling fans know off, even if they don't follow cross.

Saw a rumour on twitter that Elorrio in the Basque Country is wanting to increase its sponsor's budgets to hold one on the tbc world cups next year. Would be great to be back in Spain after a few years since the Igorre WCs.

As to the American races at the start rather than the end of the series, apparently Hoogeheide still wanted the final spot like they normal reside in. When the worlds were in Louisville alot of riders raced Hoogeheide before that, although there was also a weekend in between that year. A few, like Niels Albert raced on that weekend in between in Cincinnati. Normally there is a week between the opening Belgian race in Eeklo or Geraadsbergen and the first world cup. So it's something that is done regularly in the past, but obviously some react better than others to intercontinental travel across time zones

Last edited:
They're probably right. If they both do the road Worlds, then there is Il Lombardia, which is mid October, then they'll need a break before their CX season.
Yes, I meant the CX World Championships. Will be interesting to see if the do IL though. Was fun watching MVDP try and stay with the lead group on nasty climb that broke up the race a bit - and then bomb the descent, during which I believe he caught and dropped Mohoric - who I understand is known as the best descender in the world.

Nice little drama today between Pauwels Sauzen's teammates and Baloise Trek tactics to win the overall. Not the worst of races.

So, tomorrow we're up for a snowy one? I see that Antwerp is forecasted to have minus 5 degrees (thermal feeling of minus 12) at 15h00 with snow. We don't have Villars but we could end up with a good test run for Winter Olympics.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Jan 31, 2021
I switched from this race to Besseges at lap 4 or 5 where the three teammates were all riding together and the next rider was a minute down. How did Iserbyt lose nearly a minute?

Not the best of races to watch in the end. Obviously it was all about the battle between Iserbyt and Aerts, but in the end it just looked like Vanthourenout and Sweeck were on a coffee ride for most of it. Definitely the two who will probably be the best prepared for tommorrow in terms of freshness, considering they looked to be coasting round today. Although if it's still the predicted heavy snow, ice and temperatures of minus it could be interesting. We've seen before Iserbyt doesn't like the cold that much, so I hope we don't have a situation of Aerts riding off, and then Vanthourenout, Sweeck and possibly Kamp dragging Iserbyt around to keep him in that time ahead of Aerts.

Bakker blew it in the last lap vs. Betsema. Was handed a gift when Betsema stumbled, then she herself tripped. Argh.
Well in fairness, she would only have (maybe) won due to Betesma blowing it. They both screwed up at the same time, though Bakker was down a few times today. I feel sorry for her, to me she has been the most consistent of the U-23s this season, but had a bad day at the Worlds. Would have been nice to see her win one.

Have enjoyed the Ladies races far more than the men's side this season, even though Brand has been the best, there were a lot of close races. Last week at Lille was the best race of the season IMO with 5 in contention heading into the final lap and Alvarado just edging the sprint after a constantly changing race situation. Men's has been too much VDP v WVA off the front dominating even though it was engrossing at times.

Reactions: Bolder
The Brussels course is growing on me. I wasnt a fan of it the first year, but after seeing it in different conditions (relatively dry 2019, fairly muddy 2020 and icy/slippery/a bit of mud 2021) it definitely has a tough technical nature to split the race up. Out of the three more urban crosses, Diegem is still the best, then Brussels, then that rubbish course in Kortrijk.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Good question; early season Eli was on form and claimed the European title, and Michael won the Tabor World Cup. Since the Worlds, a few have taken their opportunities; Laurens, Quinten & Toon.

In other news, I saw on Cyclocross 24 that Sporza asked about Sweeck changing teams. Also Blanka Vas moving to Trek?? Anybody know anymore?

Good question; early season Eli was on form and claimed the European title, and Michael won the Tabor World Cup. Since the Worlds, a few have taken their opportunities; Laurens, Quinten & Toon.

In other news, I saw on Cyclocross 24 that Sporza asked about Sweeck changing teams. Also Blanka Vas moving to Trek?? Anybody know anymore?
Mettepeningen, Sweecks team manager, said otherwise and that he wanted to extend the contract from 2022. Vas moving to Trek makes sense. She does CX, XC and Road so would have either Trek Factory racing or Trek Baloise for CX, TFR for XC and maybe Segafredo for road (like Brand and Anrooij)

In a sporting way I would like to see Laurens leave Pauwels Sauzen.

Alpecin needs a rider who can fight for the win when Van der Poel is not around (and his brother is now on their sister team, Credishop) and would also be good for Hens Maes to be more represented on the front.

Vanthourenhout and Iserbyt (with Kamp coming up) give Pauwels Sauzen already a good dominance. Let Laurens lead somewhere also to give more competitivity to the sport.

If you add Ronhaar and even Meeusen (to a lesser extent) coming through, then he definitely needs some freedom from the amount of talent in the Sauces team. The ones you say make sense, but to be honest maybe even Trek Baloise would work. At the moment they only have Toon Aerts and Van Der Haar. Aernouts is retiring and Thijs Aerts hasn't really shown at the top like he had in the u23s. The only other rider coming through at the moment is Thibau Nys. Plus he rode with Crelan KDL Trans which was linked with Sven Nys.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS