• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
IndianCyclist said:
Just the one off camber section where MVDP was able to ride whereas others made a mistake or had to get off made the difference
That and MvdP had more power clearly. Because first time Van Aert could come back. 2nd time gap only got bigger (until MvdP was safe and he eased off in the final lap).
Hard to ride against somebody more powerful AND more technical skilled.

Agreed. Clearly MVDP had way more power than the next rider. Wout managed to close a gap before skidding on a camber and was never to be seen after. MVDP took off like a rocket. Good for him; it would have been a shame if he lost the most important race after dominating everything else.
That was an impressive sight to watch. I know some people think the course was schit, but to this set of uneducated eyes, I thought it was great. It combined every aspect of the sport without going overboard.
Well done, people of Denmark!
p.s. Someone sign that Spanish guy to a contract asap. I was desperately hoping he could hang in with the big boys till the end and grab a medal.

'Took off like a rocket' - not really. This was a good win, but not as dominant as most of his wins this season. The main difference was his superior technique. On that one section, he was always able to stay on the bike, while the others had to get off most of the time. That's maybe 3 seconds every time. This is what makes him almost unbeatable though: he has the power and the skill.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
'Took off like a rocket' - not really. This was a good win, but not as dominant as most of his wins this season. The main difference was his superior technique. On that one section, he was always able to stay on the bike, while the others had to get off most of the time. That's maybe 3 seconds every time. This is what makes him almost unbeatable though: he has the power and the skill.

Mental note: Do not exaggerate for effect. MVDP maintained his pace when Wout skidded off and lost a few seconds, which is a lot. Please correct me if I am wrong, but aside from Wout skidding out, I do not recall anyone who had a remote hope of catching MVDP dismounting in that section of the course. Granted, my memory is a little suspect, so I might be off base.
I think everyone thought it was going to be really hard to catch up after Wout s little mishap. And whaddaya know--the commentators were right.
MVDP is a perfect machine. Simply outstanding.
Also, keep in mind that he freewheeled during parts of the last lap--taking it easy in parts, high fiving spectators, ramping up for the victory salute etc.-- all of which cut down the length of time he had on his competitors. He was absolutely dominant.

Flamin said:
jaylew said:
Brand was strongest but cross isn't just about strength. Sanne rode a clean race and three falls for Brand was too much. Crazy that her own dad may have cost her the title.

Cant was physically on par with Brand imo. Sanne totally nailed it both technically and tactically though. That was class. Great race, basically like 80% of the women's races this year.

As for the last crash, that was her own fault not her dad's, but yeah, still a painful moment.

According to her, it was her dad's fault. I think she was absolutely the strongest - she had to come back 3 times after going down which I don't think Sanne could have done but she rode such a clean and smart race that she deserved that win.

Going to be really strange seeing Wout in a normal trade team kit next year though I guess there's a decent chance MVP skips the American World Cups again and Wout wins there and winds up wearing the World Cup leaders jersey

jaylew said:
Flamin said:
jaylew said:
Brand was strongest but cross isn't just about strength. Sanne rode a clean race and three falls for Brand was too much. Crazy that her own dad may have cost her the title.

Cant was physically on par with Brand imo. Sanne totally nailed it both technically and tactically though. That was class. Great race, basically like 80% of the women's races this year.

As for the last crash, that was her own fault not her dad's, but yeah, still a painful moment.

According to her, it was her dad's fault. I think she was absolutely the strongest - she had to come back 3 times after going down which I don't think Sanne could have done but she rode such a clean and smart race that she deserved that win.

Going to be really strange seeing Wout in a normal trade team kit next year though I guess there's a decent chance MVP skips the American World Cups again and Wout wins there and winds up wearing the World Cup leaders jersey

That was her first reaction after the race. I'm sure she will come to senses once she sees the images again. I also thought "what the hell is that guy doing" when I saw it live at full speed, but if you look at the recap, she just unclicks too late. The mechanic simply has to pull that bike away in time.

Well, the tempo dropped a few times of course (especially on the asphalt), that's why Neff and Brammeier appeared at the front at one point as well. Still a strong ride but if she was really stronger than Cant, she would have at least been able to put more pressure on that final lap imo. And she didn't.

Hey guys!
Guess who today s race in Lille, France!
That s right--MVDP!
Shocking!
I can only imagine what goes through the heads of his opponents every time they see him line up at the start. All I know is I would probably just turn around, ride home, and solemnly contemplate my future in the sport. Maybe crack a beer or 20 and wonder what the hell I was thinking taking up the sport.

the delgados said:
Hey guys!
That s right--MVDP!
Shocking!
I can only imagine what goes through the heads of his opponents every time they see him line up at the start. All I know is I would probably just turn around, ride home, and solemnly contemplate my future in the sport. Maybe crack a beer or 20 and wonder what the hell I was thinking taking up the sport.

Some of them need to go away, and after a short rest, work on their technical skills. And more of them should take up MTB in the summer months as opposed to racing on the road. Mathieu's skills have come on even more since he went to MTB.

Axel Hangleck said:
the delgados said:
Hey guys!
That s right--MVDP!
Shocking!

Some of them need to go away, and after a short rest, work on their technical skills. And more of them should take up MTB in the summer months as opposed to racing on the road. Mathieu's skills have come on even more since he went to MTB.
this
WvA wasn't even jumping the obstacles most of the time until this/last season (if i recall correctly) and still managed to be 2nd best CX rider overal mostly due to being such a powerhouse.

Today again.. the only rider able to ride the technical camber corner in the last part of the course (2 times). And also the lack of big mistakes and ability to take corner a bit faster than Aerts most of the time was critical.

Aerts is not much down on power I believe. But he has to race over the edge to be able to stay with him, and finally makes mistakes because of that

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Today again.. the only rider able to ride the technical camber corner in the last part of the course (2 times). And also the lack of big mistakes and ability to take corner a bit faster than Aerts most of the time was critical.

Aerts is not much down on power I believe. But he has to race over the edge to be able to stay with him, and finally makes mistakes because of that

Same goes for former world champion WoutvA.

Hello, fellow cyclo-cross fans.
I have been watching and absorbing a lot of cyclo-cross information over the past few months, and I submit that watching a women s cyclo-cross race is far more appealing than their male counterparts.. Three reasons why:

1) Some women look into the camera and say hello when the camera guy scans the front row of race favourites prior to the start. I think that is adorable. Compare that to the men. Not a single one makes a friendly gesture to the camera. It is like they are too cool for school. Rather than acknowledging they are starring in a bike race, they act as if they are going into battle to save life and limb. Come on, guys. Lighten up a little. You are not Roman gladiators.

2) The balance of competition is evenly distributed. The winner of an elite men cyclo-cross race is determined within 30 seconds. Yawn. I m already feeling sleepy.

3) I think it was a couple years ago when the French rider won the WC. She was ploughing through the course, face covered in mud. She had strength and total determination, and I was happy she won. Then she gets onto the podium, and lets just say the contrast from muddy race face to podium face was stunning. She is gorgeous. Although I appreciate the talent shown by the men, women will always be better looking than men.

Today Kevin Pauwels celebrated his final cyclo-cross race by finishing in first place.
It was a moving ceremony attended by everyone except MVDP.
When asked why he didn't participate, MVDP responded by saying he has no wish to rain on someone s parade.
No one would believe me if KP finished ahead of me, said MVDP. The spectacle would resemble the post Tour crits, said MVDP.
Let the man have his day.

I can't believe it's cross season already, feels like it's starting way earlier than the couple of years...
Iserbyt won the men's race yesterday in Iowa, and Rochette the women's. I have to admit I had never heard of her before and I was super confused for a while since her jersey looks somewhat like a world champs jersey with the colour bands and all (turns out it's the Pan-American Championship Jersey).

Let's see how this cx season will turn out, with WVA still recovering from the TdF crash and MVDP doing other things, while Cant is skipping the US World Cups and I'm not sure about the schedule of other riders like Vos, PFP, etc.

TRENDING THREADS