• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alvarado's choice to ride the elites really paid off. Still, it was surprising to see her beating Worst in a sprint.
Compton really good race unlike Cant which was terrible

If the course stays dry tomorrow I don't think anyone will be close to MVDP

Reactions: jaylew
Nice racing. Worst and Alvarado in an own class when it came down to technique. Brand has a massive engine but that’s not enough.
Yes, you could already see it before the final lap. When it got technical she always got dropped and had to catch up with her super engine.
F U to the Swiss commentators for not even mentioning Eva Lechner once durning the race while talking about pretty much everyone else in the top 15.

Nice racing. Worst and Alvarado in an own class when it came down to technique. Brand has a massive engine but that’s not enough.

Which is how it should be; otherwise you'd have road racers turning up and overpowering everybody. The technical parts should always have a say in off road cycling; skills/ technique as well as power. Saying that, Brand does have the right boss to help her technique.

That last lap was great.

I don't know if Worst looks more disappointed or angry on the podium - check that, she definitely looks more angry. Reminds me of Cant that year PFP won. Actually, Worst looks even more upset than that. I'm sure she assumed it was hers when it came down to a sprint.

I kinda wanted Alvarado to win but I thought Worst looked like the best rider today.

Reactions: postmanhat
That last lap was great.

I don't know if Worst looks more disappointed or angry on the podium - check that, she definitely looks more angry. Reminds me of Cant that year PFP won. Actually, Worst looks even more upset than that. I'm sure she assumed it was hers when it came down to a sprint.

I kinda wanted Alvarado to win but I thought Worst looked like the best rider today.

Yes, Worst looked like she was easily handling the few attacks, and just making sure she was there to win the sprint, as expected. Maybe Alvarado was saving herself, which was brave given the history of finales between the three of them.

Admittedly I was quite tired coming straight from work, but I thought it was quite a boring race till the end, partly due to the course. It's really not a course for me due to the lack of natural contours. No off-camber sections to speak of. The non-ramp climbs are mostly un-climbable. Didn't really seem to be any sections where one rider's skill-set came to the fore, except for Brand on the ramp climbs.

According to cyclocross24, Christoph Roodhooft will set up a Ladies road team to ride this year, with Alvarado, Worst and Kastelijn. Was watching Kastelijn having a bad time on even the small descents in this course today, and thinking she should try switching to the road, where the surfaces are a lot friendlier. She has a lot of power for such a slight frame.

The course looked a little too easy for the U23 men. No real decisive moments but just a grinding down of competition. If the course stays the same tomorrow it is likely to be the same story for the Elite men. A gradual spread of the field with MVDP as the likely winner.

Kastelijn looks uncomfortable and quite square on the bike. She obviously has a very good physical capacity but I think the technique isn’t there.

Brands is really a fighter which should be appreciated but I am happy that more skilled riders prevailed.

Van der Heijden is defending champion, but it might be the most open category. A Dutch win isn't a given here.

Netherlands: Inge van der Heijden, Manon Bakker
France: Norbert Riberolle
Hungary: Blanka Vas
Great Britain: Anna Kay
USA: Katie Clouse
Canada: Ruby West
Forgot Bakker was still U23.

Looks like there has been alot of equipment breaking, like saddles, seatposts and even one of the belgian riders, Bakaert having a broken frame. This course is demanding not just on the riders because of the bumpyness and everything else, it's also seems to be quite demanding on the machinery as well.

TRENDING THREADS