• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radios - Safety or Control of your riders?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BroDeal said:
Maybe you can stick to making up strawman arguments like "this unproven nostalgic idea that radios have single handedly been responsible for a degradation in the quality of racing." Or you could make incomprehensible analogies between radio use in races and people carrying cell phones like this one:

Or better yet, you could try thinking a little by attempting to figure out when people are stating opinions and when they are stating fact.

"Incomprehensible"?... did you deduce that?

As to facts and opinions... maybe you should attempt to figure out the difference. You're not having much success on this thread.

VeloFidelis said:
As to facts and opinions... maybe you should attempt to figure out the difference. You're not having much success on this thread.

Awww. Still smarting over being called out for your strawman BS. Go for a ride, Buttercup. You'll get over it. Maybe while you are out there on the road you will come up with an alternative explanation for the teams walking out.

BroDeal said:
Awww. Still smarting over being called out for your strawman BS. Go for a ride, Buttercup. You'll get over it. Maybe while you are out there on the road you will come up with an alternative explanation for the teams walking out.

You know you're right... it might just come to me while I'm riding my bike. You remember riding... that thing you used to do before you gave up your life to posting here, and your post count far exceeded your annual milage. It's no wonder you you have to make sh!t up... you've run out of real things to talk about. Tell me, is it from fantasy, or just boredom?

VeloFidelis said:
You know you're right... it might just come to me while I'm riding my bike. You remember riding... that thing you used to do before you gave up your life to posting here, and your post count far exceeded your annual milage. It's no wonder you you have to make sh!t up... you've run out of real things to talk about. Tell me, is it from fantasy, or just boredom?

---edited by mod--

Since your fury seems to prevent you from addressing the thread's topic, I think I will put you on ignore so you can get back to the subject at hand. C'Ya, and don't burst a vein, Francis.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/de...ectionid=bc2f75e0-ec13-4abb-80d5-c51853bfc9d6

Teams are threatening to boycott the tour of Beijing, over the use of race radios. They had insisted on restarting the dialogue on the use of RR starting May 1st.

De profploegen hadden de UCI van Pat McQuaid gevraagd om tegen 1 mei de discussie over het toelaten van communicatieoortjes in alle wedstrijden te heropenen. Omdat die deadline al lang overschreden is en er nog altijd geen akkoord is, besliste de Internationale Vereniging van Rennersploegen nu dat het genoeg is.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I know this thread is old and probably dead but I though some people might be interested in this vid.

http://www.twitvid.com/2PFCB

It shows exactly why radios are needed. Driving through the bunch like that is stupid and unnecessary and risks everyones safety. It's happening in races around the world that don't race with radios and it's only a matter of time before someone is killed.

It's a pretty cool video anyway and shows another perspective of the race

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
woodie said:
I know this thread is old and probably dead but I though some people might be interested in this vid.

It shows exactly why radios are needed. Driving through the bunch like that is stupid and unnecessary and risks everyones safety. It's happening in races around the world that don't race with radios and it's only a matter of time before someone is killed.

It's a pretty cool video anyway and shows another perspective of the race

Under 23 have been radio free for ages yet no deaths, no radio-ban attributable deaths anywhere else for that matter. None from the preceding decades either. So your argument doesn't hold up.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Under 23 have been radio free for ages yet no deaths, no radio-ban attributable deaths anywhere else for that matter. None from the preceding decades either. So your argument doesn't hold up.

True, but why have that particular risk exist when it can be eliminated? Seems stupid to me.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
woodie said:

It shows exactly why radios are needed. Driving through the bunch like that is stupid and unnecessary and risks everyones safety.

Yep, stupid and unnecessary. To do that was ridiculously dangerous. But I still say it is the job of the guys on the bikes to keep track of how far in front their competitors are. They should never have driven through the bunch like that, but it doesn't mean they should have had radios.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Stupid of the race officials to let them do that. Sounded like they were telling them to pull back at 3:45, if so too calmly for my liking. So what happens when the next team wants to do the same thing? Very unsafe.