• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Sophistic said:
now i pray for 2 60km flat ITTs in next years tour.

Idd. But I wouldnt be surprised if they keep cutting down on prologue and ITT kilometers untill one of the bros finally win.

EDIT: Btw when will the 2012 Tour be presented? Oct or Nov?

the asian said:
The Shlecks must have thought Bruyneel will be able to work miracles for their TT:p

I am sure Johann and Lance have just the right miracle mixture for that.(yeye I know wrong forum. Just couldnt help myself(0; )

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Not to be rude.....but you didn't

Olympus did not hold the Radioshack license, CSE did.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bill-stapleton-cse-will-own-manage-team-radioshack

The license the press release is referring to is the one held by Becca, not Brunyeel.

So CSE goes from running a Pro Tour team to running the marketing for a ProTour team.....selling jerseys to groupies

Bruyneel was the one running the team in recent years, and CSE has always been almost exclusively the marketing agent - a role they've proven to be very good at.

The combined team kept the Leopard license but in most every other aspect the RS management structure. A bit of research might explain why they kept the Leopard license over the RS one, but I haven't seen it yet.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
A bit of research might explain why they kept the Leopard license over the RS one, but I haven't seen it yet.

Here's a guess: To get their hands on riders who would never never never sign with them voluntarily.

Think people are looking a bit closely here. As ever its about money. Becca evidently doesn't want to dip into his pocket and has probably decided cycling is a bad idea after finding a backer was tougher than he anticipated. RS probably don't want to pay for a full team anymore either. They're struggling to secure the best young American talent now (witness Van Garderen's statement after signing for BMC - missed out of Phinney too last year) so a merger makes financial sense to both parties.

I doubt the Schlecks have much of a say in this. It was never "their" team in the way that RS was Armstrongs and they were never going to have the power and influence to stop this happening.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Bruyneel was the one running the team in recent years, and CSE has always been almost exclusively the marketing agent - a role they've proven to be very good at.

The combined team kept the Leopard license but in most every other aspect the RS management structure. A bit of research might explain why they kept the Leopard license over the RS one, but I haven't seen it yet.
Race Radio said:
Sure.

Who owns the team? Becca
eleven said:
This is quite simply not accurate.

While in the grand scheme of things it matters little to who actually holds the licence - why do you think Becca is not the owner, when all the available information points to this?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
While in the grand scheme of things it matters little to who actually holds the licence - why do you think Becca is not the owner, when all the available information points to this?

I believe Becca will remain an owner, but certainly not the owner. Part of the ownership stake will transfer to the other entities involved. From what I know, keeping Leopard's license was a simple tactical move - but as I said earlier, I haven't heard/seen the full explanation of that yet. I certainly don't have all the information about this merger / deal, and I'm not inclined to speculate on the aspects I don't know (I leave that for other threads:) )

simoni said:
I doubt the Schlecks have much of a say in this. It was never "their" team in the way that RS was Armstrongs and they were never going to have the power and influence to stop this happening.

Interesting point, which begs the questions whether they woud have stopped this hapening of they would have had the influence? And if they would have stopped it, what does that mean for the team next year and the overall motivation?

Regards
GJ

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
I believe Becca will remain an owner, but certainly not the owner. Part of the ownership stake will transfer to the other entities involved. From what I know, keeping Leopard's license was a simple tactical move - but as I said earlier, I haven't heard/seen the full explanation of that yet.

But CSE/Stapleton owned the RS licence - Becca the Luxemburg licence.
So if the new licence is to be from Lux then it would appear that CSE only has the marketing part, which is what the Press release suggested.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:

here’re a couple of guesses that may or may not be relevant

leopard’s 4 yr (?) pro-tour licence expires later than the shack’s
leopard has more riders with live contracts- reducing legal headaches
luxembourg origin may have been a lepard condition for tax benefit

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
But CSE/Stapleton owned the RS licence - Becca the Luxemburg licence.
So if the new licence is to be from Lux then it would appear that CSE only has the marketing part, which is what the Press release suggested.

"only has the marketing part" in a sport where ones entire budget is derived from marketing. CSE etal did not just hand title and registration for the new car to Becca. While we wait for information about ownership etc...to leak out over time, ask yourself this: Who had the leverage in this deal? AKA Who brought the money?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
eleven said:
"only has the marketing part" in a sport where ones entire budget is derived from marketing. CSE etal did not just hand title and registration for the new car to Becca. While we wait for information about ownership etc...to leak out over time, ask yourself this: Who had the leverage in this deal? AKA Who brought the money?

Trek cycling

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Well the real question is who eventually profits - while all will make something from the deal, it is the licence holder that will ultimately benefit and more importantly retain control.
From all indications CSE (who had the Radioshack licence & marketing) have given up that to Becca.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
Trek cycling

RS, Nissan and Trek....Two sponsors developed by the current RS management, and one developed both by the current RS management and Leopard.

I think Trek is the biggest winner here - they get much of the benefit they received from sponsoring two teams last year, while only sponsoring one.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well the real question is who eventually profits - while all will make something from the deal, it is the licence holder that will ultimately benefit and more importantly retain control.
From all indications CSE (who had the Radioshack licence & marketing) have given up that to Becca.

I respectfully disagree, Doc. I have reason to believe that JB and the people at CSE will have a controlling interest, and therefore retain control. While my information on that could be wrong, I really don't think it is. Becca's a good enough business person to understand that he can go from losing his shirt to making a profit with this merger, control or not. Almost all the dollars/euros in this deal are coming from the current RS side.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
I respectfully disagree, Doc. I have reason to believe that JB and the people at CSE will have a controlling interest, and therefore retain control. While my information on that could be wrong, I really don't think it is. Becca's a good enough business person to understand that he can go from losing his shirt to making a profit with this merger, control or not. Almost all the dollars/euros in this deal are coming from the current RS side.
Fair enough - having Bruyneel/CSE on board makes sense
But ultimately someone has to have the control here and I don't see Becca giving it away to easily.
So has Becca still some ownership here? As earlier you seemed to suggest he would not have any.

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
More of a specifics query, but does the new merger go with Shimano or Sram setup? Also, aside from the big names guaranteed a spot for next year (Cancallera, the Schlecks, Brajkovic), who's on the short list of cycling celebrities looking for a job?