• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Are you calling Becca a liar? He says Americans are not owners of the pay agent that runs the team

No, I'm saying that Becca is presenting the situation in his favor. And he didn't say that "Americans are not owners."

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
His team as in the "owner" of the team, but Becca won't be running the team surely? With Nygard gone, JB seems like a natural candidate...on top of "driving" the car of course.

This is what I have been attempting to find out.
Obviously Becca won't be running the show himself - but is he the one calling the shots?
Most people who put their own money in to something believe they have ownership, but often legally they have little influence.

But in Beccas case he appears to have the licence and if so then everyone else is on contract or an employee - and they way things have gone since Leopard have arrived that could be short-term.

A

Anonymous

I am, and was always going to hate this team with a passion regardless of who mopped up the mess that were both teams. There is this saying I love: "A sickie and a sickie don't make a wellie." Whoever gets the support of the team in the next TdF (assuming that The Hog does his typical "the road will decide" cop-out, yellow streak, no backbone tour strategy) will still not win. Tough nuts.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I am, and was always going to hate this team with a passion regardless of who mopped up the mess that were both teams. There is this saying I love: "A sickie and a sickie don't make a wellie." Whoever gets the support of the team in the next TdF (assuming that The Hog does his typical "the road will decide" cop-out, yellow streak, no backbone tour strategy) will still not win. Tough nuts.

Their fan base was being reduced to Andy's antics as far as racing, now with Joe-Han, it will be the evil team. The weird part is the supposed arch rival will gain more fans instead of lose them due to legal proceedings issues.

From underdog to over hyped contender to evil rider(s) in one year.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Saw this as I was catching up with the goings on in the 10+ pages per day Radioshack-Leopard Trek Merger / Takeover (Depending on your POV?) Thread...

This made me laugh :D

That's setting quite a precedent Suzy? Polish may just have to hang up her yellow wristbands?

I thought the "mindless" was cool.
Kind of one hand clapping Zennish.

But the "drivel"?
Hey, thats not nice.
Maybe it was the Zombie reference....

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
No offense. Show me just one.

Show you one what?
I gave you 2 links to Radioshack-Nissan-Trek extension stories.
Extensions that took place before the Sept 5 announcement.
What are you looking for?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Man I am really starting to like this new Radio Shack-Berry floor - Nissan - Texas Hot sauce - Pork SKINS aka chicharrones -Sram - Trek - Lemond bicycles - Leopard team much more these days. Now that TFF is on the record as where his hate is ... then I am all in with the Pork SKINS team. I support these sickie and sickie don't make a wellie ...all the way. :eek:

After reading today's comments from Flavio, I doubt Radio Shack will have much interest in sponsoring his big headed cycling team for more than a year. Why would a second rate spare radio part outlet in the US be interested in sponsoring a team that is Luxembourg-focused in the first and last place? Also, does Nissan sell a lot of cars in Luxembourg? Come to think of it, is Trek a popular brand in Luxembourg?

What will their idiotic scarves be in next year's team presentation? Maybe they will wear berets too with The Shack printed on the top. The image of that will sell lots of 1/8 to 1/4 inch headphone adaptors in the states.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
After reading today's comments from Flavio, I doubt Radio Shack will have much interest in sponsoring his big headed cycling team for more than a year. Why would a second rate spare radio part outlet in the US be interested in sponsoring a team that is Luxembourg-focused in the first and last place? Also, does Nissan sell a lot of cars in Luxembourg? Come to think of it, is Trek a popular brand in Luxembourg?

What will their idiotic scarves be in next year's team presentation? Maybe they will wear berets too with The Shack printed on the top. The image of that will sell lots of 1/8 to 1/4 inch headphone adaptors in the states.

Radioshack does not care about Luxembourg.
They care about publicity.
Stories in CNN and the Washington Post.
Backlash when the indictments are handed down yikes.
Even bad publicity is publicity.
Loads of people will stand by Lance.
Even if the Feds discover Livestrong Bracelets are made from soylent yellow.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-2012-season/2011/09/06/gIQAIsy06J_story.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/06/sport/cycling-radioshack-leopard-merger/

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Man I am really starting to like this new Radio Shack-Berry floor - Nissan - Texas Hot sauce - Pork SKINS aka chicharrones -Sram - Trek - Lemond bicycles - Leopard team much more these days. Now that TFF is on the record as where his hate is ... then I am all in with the Pork SKINS team. I support these sickie and sickie don't make a wellie ...all the way. :eek:

Thanks Glenn, I knew we could rely on you to come up with a easier to pronounce name.

From now on team Leopard-Radioshack-Nissan-Trek will be called Team Porkskins

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Thanks Glenn, I knew we could rely on you to come up with a easier to pronounce name.

From now on team Leopard-Radioshack-Nissan-Trek will be called Team Porkskins

Perfect!
chicharrones was too much. I like Team Porkskins! :D I saw your reply tweet, I was only fooling around. I was not trying to harp on the hate angle.

Team Porkskins it is! :D

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So, are you guys all die hard Lampre, Liquigas, Movistar fan boys or something? I still don't get the hate.

This Becca guy is a businessman. This is a business. He saw the opportunity to improve and he did it. He not only improved his roster, but he brought in sponsors to pay the bills. Whatever you think of Bruyneel, he's a better manager than Nygard. Maybe with experience Nygard will prove himself better, but Becca wants to win now. And frankly, he doesn't care what you think, he's not trying to win a forum contest, he wants to win the Tour period. Can you really blame the guy? If he's telling the truth, that CSE wasn't going to renew their license January 1, 2012, then he gets credit.

Chess, cycling, and business are games of strategy. The merger, takeover, whatever it's called was interesting to me. I'm not a prosecutor, that's for another forum called the clinic. I'm a cyclist, not professional racer. And a businessman. And it's clear to me that the investment RadioShack is making, is to gain exposure in Europe, probably through micros stores and kiosk sites. Nissan has a presence there too. These are not huge budgets for them. Nissan spent over 690 MILLION in the USA alone in 2009 and then increased it 100 million this year. RadioShack is a far smaller, so they have much more to gain.

For the haters, the real RadioShack is gone.
For the haters, Andy is still there, and more powerful than ever.
For the rest of us? It's just entertainment. Don't forget that.
The strength of this team is going to make the other teams step up, and try harder to lure sponsorship. And that's where there are other "Beccas" willing to take their skill and bring it to this game.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
KuotaRocket said:
So, are you guys all die hard Lampre, Liquigas, Movistar fan boys or something? I still don't get the hate.

This Becca guy is a businessman. This is a business. He saw the opportunity to improve and he did it. He not only improved his roster, but he brought in sponsors to pay the bills. Whatever you think of Bruyneel, he's a better manager than Nygard. Maybe with experience Nygard will prove himself better, but Becca wants to win now. And frankly, he doesn't care what you think, he's not trying to win a forum contest, he wants to win the Tour period. Can you really blame the guy? If he's telling the truth, that CSE wasn't going to renew their license January 1, 2012, then he gets credit.

Chess, cycling, and business are games of strategy. The merger, takeover, whatever it's called was interesting to me. I'm not a prosecutor, that's for another forum called the clinic. I'm a cyclist, not professional racer. And a businessman. And it's clear to me that the investment RadioShack is making, is to gain exposure in Europe, probably through micros stores and kiosk sites. Nissan has a presence there too. These are not huge budgets for them. Nissan spent over 690 MILLION in the USA alone in 2009 and then increased it 100 million this year. RadioShack is a far smaller, so they have much more to gain.

The strength of this team is going to make the other teams step up, and try harder to lure sponsorship. And that's where there are other "Beccas" willing to take their skill and bring it to this game.

If Cycling future are Beccas, cycling is in trouble. I miss the old days of long lenght sponsor of serious company

And yes, I'm a hater of win Tdf with 8 superdomestiques riding only in July. Something like the big three of Miami Heat. Evans and Nowiztki won at the end. And another problem will be certain spaniard single centered at Tour.

Do you know the historical perspective of Contador/Riis Evans/BMC defeating this empire next summer? An empire beated by this two pair is a strong possiblity and put the Schlecks at permanent losers.

My point is that Schleck with Beccas actions has lot to lose and little to win. And their rivals the opposite in terms of prestige and history.

Polish said:
Show you one what?
I gave you 2 links to Radioshack-Nissan-Trek extension stories.
Extensions that took place before the Sept 5 announcement.
What are you looking for?

No, you didn't. You didn't give any links to anything. As usual.

Edit: In fact, a search of your posts using the key word "extension" results in 5 total posts...ever. And the only post-June 2011 post is the prior post in this thread. The other 4 are dated 3/30/11, 8/19/10, 5/3/10, and 2/6/09.

So, once again, more fabrication and trolling.

And zero credible cites.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
KuotaRocket said:

The good thing about this merger/takeover/acquisition is that most of the personalities I don't like in cycling are all in one place!

And yes I do prefer the Lampres, Liquigases & Movistars of the peloton. They are all long term players in the cycling milieu. As are Rabobank, Lotto & Europcar. The sponsor may change from time to time, but the team infrastructure is the same year on year. Movistar goes all the way back to the 80's as does Lotto. Lampre, Liquigas etc are 10 or more years old to boot.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
KuotaRocket said:

Not hate. Disappointment, disgust, anger. That this beautiful sport is being ruined by businesspeople who think that cycling is "just entertainment". It's much more than entertainment. Don't forget that.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
tumblr_lr2z7phnR21r23f1so1_400.gif