• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rafal Majka discussion thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
damian13ster said:
There is a small problem though. Are there any semi-decent riders left in Tinkoff that can go for Vuelta?
He might just be forced to go with 8 semi-decent guys with engine to cover him in the flat and be all alone in the mountains from a very first point the road rises

I'd go with Bodnar, Brutt/ Kiserlovski, CAS,Jesper Hansen, Hernandez, Beltran, Poljanski. That might be too weak in regards to the flats but that is quite a few capable climbers.

greenedge said:
damian13ster said:
There is a small problem though. Are there any semi-decent riders left in Tinkoff that can go for Vuelta?
He might just be forced to go with 8 semi-decent guys with engine to cover him in the flat and be all alone in the mountains from a very first point the road rises

I'd go with Bodnar, Brutt/ Kiserlovski, CAS,Jesper Hansen, Hernandez, Beltran, Poljanski. That might be too weak in regards to the flats but that is quite a few capable climbers.

Would be interesting to see what Jesper Hansen can do in the big mountains of a GT.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Aru stronger than Majka ain't no given. Just like Quintana stronger than Aru ain't no given as well.

It may not be a given but it's been proven in their past head-to-head match ups. I would give Aru the edge as I would give Quintana the edge over Aru, based on his past performances. Seeing them all together in the Vuelta, should that happen, would be interesting but of course the level of their individual forms would be not be equal.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The relation "stronger than" is clearly transitive. Thus if Aru stronger than Majka is no given, and Quintana stronger than Aru is no given, then Quintana stronger than Majka is no given.

But that is clearly absurd. In one corner, the guy who came 2nd in the Tour de France twice, 25 years of age, fastest Alpe Ascent since 2006, winner of the Giro. In the other, a guy who managed to climb with Pinot et al in the last week of the Tour after taking the first off.

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
The relation "stronger than" is clearly transitive. Thus if Aru stronger than Majka is no given, and Quintana stronger than Aru is no given, then Quintana stronger than Majka is no given.

But that is clearly absurd. In one corner, the guy who came 2nd in the Tour de France twice, 25 years of age, fastest Alpe Ascent since 2006, winner of the Giro. In the other, a guy who managed to climb with Pinot et al in the last week of the Tour after taking the first off.

Following your logic since "equals" is clearly transitive relation, then since 2 does not equal 3 and 3 does not equal 2, then 2 does not equal 2.

It's clear that Quintana is better than Majka but you don't know how is Aru compared to those two. He may be as good as Quintana or Majka may be as good as Aru. Then even though we know Quintana is better than Majka we still don't know whether Quintana is better than Aru as well as we don't know whether Aru is better than Majka.

Majka has been doing quite well so far in the Vuelta... I hope he's not gonna crack.
Quintana has faded, Aru's strong.
May be Majka could have matched Aru's level if he was given the real leader position in the team and was totally released form domestique duties at Tinkoff. Riding alongside Contador in the Tour may have taken its toll.
Aru do not ride leTour in support of Nibali and those two individuals have their own seperate teams to help them.

BillyBrown said:
Majka has been doing quite well so far in the Vuelta... I hope he's not gonna crack.
Quintana has faded, Aru's strong.
May be Majka could have matched Aru's level if he was given the real leader position in the team and was totally released form domestique duties at Tinkoff. Riding alongside Contador in the Tour may have taken its toll.
Aru do not ride leTour in support of Nibali and those two individuals have their own seperate teams to help them.

I was afraid of stage 14. Terrible weather for him, slow pace which he doesnt like, and then a sprint in last 3km, which is not his strong suit. Looked absolutely on the limit there but managed to limit the losses well.
Tommorow's stage is bit better, but I will wait until stage 16 for him to do something.
Podium is still very much possible, although Dumoulin doesn't look like cracking. He looks like the most likely winner atm. Riding very smart

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Obviously Majka can't be in the same form as Aru, but I don't think he'll crack or fade. He knew that he was only gonna be a dom in the Tour, so he basically only rode full gas in the mountain stages, and I have the feeling that he didn't went into red all the time. (Some of the days he got dropped pretty easily)

Think he'll finish 4th position after Aru, JRoD and Tom D. I don't know who will win, but he needs at least 3 minutes on Tom D, because he's already one minute after him. I'm not sure he can drop JRod in the mountain, and he'll only gain 30-45 seconds in the ITT.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Majka has got more race days under his belt then Purito, and lost time in every climbing stage to him.

Just not good enough to be on the podium. Or some riders have to crack big time.

Well, he only last a handful of seconds, except for stage 2 in which he crashed.
After riding the Tour, winning a stage after 50km solo attack and doing tons of domestique work that has all gone to waste, but still costed energy.

Is he the strongest climber in the race? He isn't. But if rested (big if) and in shape then he is the best TTer among the contenders (outside of Dumoulin of course).
Thats good enough if you only drop single digits of seconds from time to time in MTF

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:
Majka has got more race days under his belt then Purito, and lost time in every climbing stage to him.

Just not good enough to be on the podium. Or some riders have to crack big time.

Majka could easily finish on the podium, depends a lot on tomorrow... I would give him more chances to finish on the podium, than not.

I still wouldn't rule out that he rides the tt of his life and climbs the best on one day.

It's possible to win the Vuelta. Not likely. But possible. He certainly flies under the radar atm. Don't rule him out.

I've seen weirder things than Majka gaining about 1 minute in the tt and about 30 seconds elsewhere in the mountains on Purito and Aru!

I like Majka as a rider.
I have put a lot of money on him to win the Vuelta. And a bit more on him to finish top 3.

That said, where does this idea that he is a good flat ITT rider come from? I guess from the same school as those who think Hesjedal is good in ITT?.

Re:

barmaher said:
I like Majka as a rider.
I have put a lot of money on him to win the Vuelta. And a bit more on him to finish top 3.

That said, where does this idea that he is a good flat ITT rider come from? I guess from the same school as those who think Hesjedal is good in ITT?.

It's all relative.

Re:

barmaher said:
Majka has never beaten Valverde in an ITT, for instance. Most of the times Majka has done well, they have been hilly ITT or very weak fields (in that only a few riders were actually trying).

People are comparing his TT-abilities to the likes of Aru and Rodriguez - not in absolute terms

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Chapeau Rafal!

I cannot see him leading the Giro next season. He has said that the cold is not good for him. I can see him in the Tour. In the same form he had this season. And try to win the Vuelta next season.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

thehook said:
Chapeau Rafal!

I cannot see him leading the Giro next season. He has said that the cold is not good for him. I can see him in the Tour. In the same form he had this season. And try to win the Vuelta next season.

When was the last time a rider that actually finished Tour, won Vuelta? Yea..

If he wants to win Vuelta Tour should be a big no no.

TRENDING THREADS