• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random French guys ripping up the Tour

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Hayabusa said:
I can see Pinot as being somewhat believable given his hype when he was young. Julien however has taken the new Valverde moniker to mean that he also has to glow as much as Alejandro did too.

Gaudu I can also somewhat believe given the hype.
Pinot really isn't that suspicious- but I'm sure he'll falter in the third week. Alaphilippe, despite losing time today, has put out performances which can only really be described as alien-worthy and defy credibility.

Of course- he will probably go nuclear again after a rest day blood bag.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
In my opinion these french boys are the best advertisement for Le Tour. Young charismatic guys who know, in particular in Alafpolak case, how to deal with public. And they are making race very entertaining. This is the Tour we have not seen in years.

How different from Sky guys ... .

Re:

lartiste said:
In my opinion these french boys are the best advertisement for Le Tour. Young charismatic guys who know, in particular in Alafpolak case, how to deal with public. And they are making race very entertaining. This is the Tour we have not seen in years.

Have to agree with this....whatever is fuelling this Tour, i kind of like it :D

Re:

lartiste said:

Of course they are good advertisement for the Tour de France, they are French.

I don't understand why the French should be given so much of a free pass. In the past, all the French were saying that their riders are clean, and that's the reason why they are not winning or getting on the podium. In 2014, Bardet and Pinot came to the fore at the Tour. Bardet, Pinot and Peraud have all finished on the overall podium since 2014. Pinot and Peraud in 2014, Bardet in consecutive years 2016 and 2017, plus he's had stage wins in three consecutive tours, 2016, 2016 and 2017. Now it's Alapaphillipe in first overall, and Bardet knocking on the door, attacking in the mountains on consecutive stages. Why should we believe that they are clean? Complaints of dirty podiums when the French were not doing well, now that the French are doing well, all of a sudden the podium isn't dirty...

BullsFan22 said:
I don't understand why the French should be given so much of a free pass. In the past, all the French were saying that their riders are clean, and that's the reason why they are not winning or getting on the podium. In 2014, Bardet and Pinot came to the fore at the Tour. Bardet, Pinot and Peraud have all finished on the overall podium since 2014. Pinot and Peraud in 2014, Bardet in consecutive years 2016 and 2017, plus he's had stage wins in three consecutive tours, 2016, 2016 and 2017. Now it's Alapaphillipe in first overall, and Bardet knocking on the door, attacking in the mountains on consecutive stages. Why should we believe that they are clean? Complaints of dirty podiums when the French were not doing well, now that the French are doing well, all of a sudden the podium isn't dirty...

What in your view constitutes a "free pass" and who is giving it? I have yet to see anyone claiming Alaphillippe is clean for example...

red_flanders said:
BullsFan22 said:

What in your view constitutes a "free pass" and who is giving it? I have yet to see anyone claiming Alaphillippe is clean for example...

It's not just Alaphillipe or this tour alone, it's this idea that the French have somehow been riding clean for years.

BullsFan22 said:
red_flanders said:
BullsFan22 said:

It's not just Alaphillipe or this tour alone, it's this idea that the French have somehow been riding clean for years.

Thanks––I feel like that's a fairly dated notion more from the Armstrong days and the ol' “peloton à deux vitesses”. Not sure many subscribe to that anymore, though whatever they might be doing has certainly been eclipsed by the comedy Sky have been producing for the last 8 or so years, so I don't think they've had many accusations lobbed their way recently.

You win and they will come.

TRENDING THREADS