• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random Questions thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The tree is on fire in the Belgian team before the European championship road race on Sunday! Top star Philippe Gilbert of all people has the match in hand. The classic hunter is angry that he should start as a helper at the European Championships and was not nominated for the World Cup (19-26 September) in his home country! "I was told that out of respect for my record I would not be called up for the World Cup to work for others. Then I really don't understand why I should do this?" He asked himself at wielerflits.be.

At Het Laatste Nieuws, national coach Sven Vanthourenhout replied: "We'll be using a different tactic at the World Cup. I think Gilbert is less needed there because you don't have to teach Wout van Aert how to win big races anymore. Here in Trentino we Remco Evenepoel at the start, who is young, eager and ambitious. Phil can ensure the necessary calm. Remco slows down a little and helps him to avoid mistakes. "

It does not seem certain whether Gilbert is really ready to drive as an instructor and noble helper. "The media apparently know more than I do because I have not yet consulted with him (Vanthourenhout, d. Ed.). I will try to drive the best possible race for myself. We will see for the rest," said the Ex-world champion probably also own interests. Gilbert does not want to go into the World Cup. Only this much: "I wish the team every success."

Any thoughts or other infos on this from you Belgians?

Why on Earth, in a scenario like the Euro Women's race today, does the third group lose time to the second, while the second group is losing time to the leader? It is not infrequent, and I don't see how it can be advantageous to those in that third group to not chase the second group.

With 13km to go this afternoon, there was a 52 gap between Van Dijk and the second group, and the next group was 36 seconds behind that. By the end, Van Dijk, even with slowing to celebrate, had taken another 26 seconds out of the 'chase' group. If she, on her own could take that much advantage over a group more concerned with placing among themselves than going for a win, why can a group of 15 not take those 26 seconds and more? Instead, they conspired to lose another 35 seconds to the soft-pedellers in group 2.

They were interested enough in sprinting for one of them to get a top ten place: why would they not ride so that several of them have a shot at the top ten?

Far from unique to today: we all understand the idea of not towing someone to the line who will outsprint you for the win, but if a 40% (9/23) chance rather than a 7% (1/15) chance of a top ten placement is not worth making an effort for, why do they not just stop when they go through the finish line with a lap to go and admit that they have no competitive interest?

And for Brennauer and Hammes, there was the potential advantage that if group 2 knows that group 3 are closing, they might make a bit more of a concerted effort and increase the likelihood of Lippert sprinting for a win.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: yaco and Sandisfan
yeah, I had just spotted, and edited, that before seeing yours

Good thing - for me - I quoted the evidence, then. ;)

But, in your defence, it is sometimes mentioned - mostly in joking, I guess - that riders counter-attack themselves, so I suppose there could be a situation where someone jokes that a group basically chase themselves.

The tree is on fire in the Belgian team before the European championship road race on Sunday! Top star Philippe Gilbert of all people has the match in hand. The classic hunter is angry that he should start as a helper at the European Championships and was not nominated for the World Cup (19-26 September) in his home country! "I was told that out of respect for my record I would not be called up for the World Cup to work for others. Then I really don't understand why I should do this?" He asked himself at wielerflits.be.

At Het Laatste Nieuws, national coach Sven Vanthourenhout replied: "We'll be using a different tactic at the World Cup. I think Gilbert is less needed there because you don't have to teach Wout van Aert how to win big races anymore. Here in Trentino we Remco Evenepoel at the start, who is young, eager and ambitious. Phil can ensure the necessary calm. Remco slows down a little and helps him to avoid mistakes. "

It does not seem certain whether Gilbert is really ready to drive as an instructor and noble helper. "The media apparently know more than I do because I have not yet consulted with him (Vanthourenhout, d. Ed.). I will try to drive the best possible race for myself. We will see for the rest," said the Ex-world champion probably also own interests. Gilbert does not want to go into the World Cup. Only this much: "I wish the team every success."

Any thoughts or other infos on this from you Belgians?
Yep. I'm not buying it. Gilbert and Evenepoel get along very well, Evenpoel burried himself for Gilbert at the 2019 WCC. Can't see Gilbert screwing over Evenpoel.

Finally found the thread I needed to find to not run around like a madman in all the forum: Is Vaughters the only known pro to have graced this place through the years? I think I read some time that riders are reading here often, but I didn't know whether it was a joke or not. The thought would never have occured to me until I understood Vaughters had really been here.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Finally found the thread I needed to find to not run around like a madman in all the forum: Is Vaughters the only known pro to have graced this place through the years? I think I read some time that riders are reading here often, but I didn't know whether it was a joke or not. The thought would never have occured to me until I understood Vaughters had really been here.
There once were questions about Roglic' national champs jersey last year. Someone from JV (not a rider) or someone pretending to be from JV gave an extensive explanation how and why the design of the jersey turned out the way it was.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Marco Pinotti popped in briefly back in 2009-10. Chase Pinkham posted a number of times from 2011-14, including opening threads to open discourse on clean pros' data, but obviously since he sadly passed away in 2014 this is several years ago now. We had Mike Anderson, not a pro rider but obviously somebody closely tied to the sport at the highest level, for a long time, too. And Joe Papp didn't ride for any UCI teams except as a stagiaire, but was a pro briefly.

I hope not, I'd need to dig a very deep hole to hide in!

How do riders actually leave a race if they DNF and it's not a circuit style race i.e. do they always get into a team car?
I remember one of the editions of E3 Harelbeke (might be 2013) where riders that didn't finish were spotted riding the opposite direction on the bike lane to get back to the bus. I've also seen riders strava for other races in Flanders where they finish and then take the shortest route back to the finish. I suppose many times when it isn't in an ambulance or circuit race they do just use tram cars or stop in the feed zone.

Marco Pinotti popped in briefly back in 2009-10. Chase Pinkham posted a number of times from 2011-14, including opening threads to open discourse on clean pros' data, but obviously since he sadly passed away in 2014 this is several years ago now. We had Mike Anderson, not a pro rider but obviously somebody closely tied to the sport at the highest level, for a long time, too. And Joe Papp didn't ride for any UCI teams except as a stagiaire, but was a pro briefly.
And we had Ben Broadhurst, who had either a father who was a doctor at Sky or an uncle who was a mechanic at some other unspecified team, or various permutations of these, depending on the day of the week.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: noob
Thank you!