• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random Questions

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Hello, just me again. :D

Are there any rules for what to do if a rider wins more than one jersey in a GT?

In the 2007 Tour they made Txurruka stand on the podium in the White jersey, basically playing a living mannequin.

In the 2013 Tour they seem to have managed to have Quintana change jerseys in the middle of the podium ceremony.

In this Tour they simply gave Froome the Polka-Dot jersey to carry over his arm.

Can't seem to remember what they did in the Giro last year...

I believe that they let the rider choose and usually give the other one to second placed (in 2013 Talansky wore white during the stage), they usually want all 4 jerseys to be worn. However with the Polka dot this year, Quintana was second and he was leading the young riders, so instead of giving it to Bardet, in third as it's a bit far-fetched to get third placed and be on the podium, they let Froome hold it.
This is all based a bit on assumption, I don't really know the official rules though I think they depend on what the rider leading the competition and his team want.

Re: Re:

Ruby United said:
RedheadDane said:
Hello, just me again. :D

Are there any rules for what to do if a rider wins more than one jersey in a GT?

In the 2007 Tour they made Txurruka stand on the podium in the White jersey, basically playing a living mannequin.

In the 2013 Tour they seem to have managed to have Quintana change jerseys in the middle of the podium ceremony.

In this Tour they simply gave Froome the Polka-Dot jersey to carry over his arm.

Can't seem to remember what they did in the Giro last year...

I believe that they let the rider choose and usually give the other one to second placed (in 2013 Talansky wore white during the stage), they usually want all 4 jerseys to be worn. However with the Polka dot this year, Quintana was second and he was leading the young riders, so instead of giving it to Bardet, in third as it's a bit far-fetched to get third placed and be on the podium, they let Froome hold it.
This is all based a bit on assumption, I don't really know the official rules though I think they depend on what the rider leading the competition and his team want.

But that's exactly what happened with the White Jersey in 2007; Txurruka was third. Contador of course having won the GC and Soler the KoM.

And now I wonder what the heck they did with Merckx in the 1969 Tour.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Bringing this one up Again to ask yet another of my weird questions:

In the Pros' Paris-Roubaix they get a big cobblestone.

In the Junior's Paris-Roubaix they get a small cobblestone.

What do the U23 riders get? A medium-sized one?

4A_2.jpg

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Papa Kel said:
Not a question with a specific answer, but opinion based. Who do you think are the 2-3 most likely people to take over Froome as top dog in grand tours?

I'd lean towards Porte, Quintana (although he'd need to become a lot more rounded) or even Uran.

None other than TNEFW!

The New Era French Winner - the mythical one Brailsford has been dreaming to coach to glory (since about a year ago)... in order to "pay back" ASO/UCI overlords.

Re:

Papa Kel said:
Not a question with a specific answer, but opinion based. Who do you think are the 2-3 most likely people to take over Froome as top dog in grand tours?

I'd lean towards Porte, Quintana (although he'd need to become a lot more rounded) or even Uran.

Porte is pretty much the same age as Froome :p

Quintana is the obvious one, then you've got guys like Aru, Mikel Landa, the Yates twins, Esteban Chaves, Romain Bardet etc

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
And now I wonder what the heck they did with Merckx in the 1969 Tour.
I know it's hard to imagine a modern tour without them, but the polka-dot jersey wasn't introduced until 1975. The same year as the Champs-Élysées finish.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
Piz Buin said:
Why is it that gc riders at a gt don't want the leader jersey 'too early' like nibali in this vuelta?
They don't actually have to make their team work to defend it, right?
They could just ride along like they always do without spending some extra effort to defend it? Where's the difference?

Because they don't have a Borg team who doesn't let any GC fella leave the peloton.

6447c0451f41153581f5af8e6778d479.jpg

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Papa Kel said:

Porte is pretty much the same age as Froome :p

Quintana is the obvious one, then you've got guys like Aru, Mikel Landa, the Yates twins, Esteban Chaves, Romain Bardet etc
I don't see Chaves becoming a dominant GT rider. Would also throw in Bob Jungels after that tour performance, and David Formolo.

TRENDING THREADS