• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rank 1-4: Boonen, Cancellara, Contador & Valverde

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

El Pistolero said:
If Wiggo can top ten in Roubaix, I'm sure Nibs can do the same.

Obviously no currently active cyclist has a realistic shot at winning all five, but if Nibali wanted, he could top ten all Monuments. He already finished on the podium of 3 Monuments after all... The reason why he hasn't won more classics is because Grand Tours has always been his main focus and he has never been a cyclist with consistent form throughout the season. He peaks for specific periods.
Need month(s) to create a cycle peak. Impossible to peak a few times in a season.
Only legend could win everything... Legend don't need peak form for a win.
Normally,
Top Tiers for TDF and WC
2nd Tiers for Giro and GDL
3nd Tiers for Veulta and LBL

Re:

El Pistolero said:

Obviously no currently active cyclist has a realistic shot at winning all five, but if Nibali wanted, he could top ten all Monuments. He already finished on the podium of 3 Monuments after all... The reason why he hasn't won more classics is because Grand Tours has always been his main focus and he has never been a cyclist with consistent form throughout the season. He peaks for specific periods.

yes, but a real problem is a focus Nibs has to elect to do well in the classics and quite a limited time he has to try. yet that's not 2012. today, nibali is a way stronger rider than he was back then but his skills of riding classics regressed.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

dacooley said:
El Pistolero said:

yes, but a real problem is a focus Nibs has to elect to do well in the classics and quite a limited time he has to try. yet that's not 2012. today, nibali is a way stronger rider than he was back then but his skills of riding classics regressed.

What? You think this nibali is better than the one of 2012?

I doubt, i highly doubt it. I always knew you know nothing of cycling :D

Miburo said:
dacooley said:
El Pistolero said:

What? You think this nibali is better than the one of 2012?

I doubt, i highly doubt it. I always knew you know nothing of cycling :D

Nabali win Giro with normal form, finished tdf with weak form. Strong in Olympic.
He is classy rider with wide range of skills and abilities. Instinct aerobic fittnes is top class.

But he is too slim for Sprint and cobbled stone win.

Congr to Cancellera, he defined himself as best time trailist all the time.
Great to see him retire with big success.

(I thought ORR fits him well if he target it and lose some weight. Finally, he targeted TT and win it. It is great.)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

toolittle said:
Congr to Cancellera, he defined himself as best time trailist all the time.
Great to see him retire with big success.

(I thought ORR fits him well if he target it and lose some weight. Finally, he targeted TT and win it. It is great.)

Cancellara is certainly among the greatest TT-ist of all time, but the greatest is Jacques Anquetil, no doubt about that

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
In the same way that Pantani is the best climber ever, the only challenger there is to Indurain as the greatest TTer is Ullrich.

Hmm. Van Impe, Gaul, Herrera, and Fuente are all competition to Pantani, and for me none of them match up to the Eagle.

Even though stuff like Mendrisio has happened, people seems to forget that he only won 1 long TT in the Tour. I would say he is definitely behind Indurain but he might be ranked second. About Ullrich, I don't get why you rate him so highly though. He got beaten by Lance regularly in all sorts of TT's and I think that his full genius period was a bit short to put him in 2nd place.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

burning said:
Even though stuff like Mendrisio has happened, people seems to forget that he only won 1 long TT in the Tour. I would say he is definitely behind Indurain but he might be ranked second. About Ullrich, I don't get why you rate him so highly though. He got beaten by Lance regularly in all sorts of TT's and I think that his full genius period was a bit short to put him in 2nd place.
How many long time trials had last tours in the first half of le tour? NO ONE. So it isn't strange that spartacus only won one long time trial. Indurain was a stage racer so his recover was great and in that time le tour had 3/4 time trials

PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:

Wiggins was twice the time triallist and rouleur that Nibali is. While Nibali would be a lot better on the cobbled sectors on a rainy edition, it would be extremely hard for him to hold any advantage he has coming out of those sectors.

Nibali can only ever win a Paris-Roubaix held in torrential rain (even then his chances are very very slim) but you're underestimating Nibali's rouleur capabilities. Not by much, mind, just slightly.

portugal11 said:
burning said:
How many long time trials had last tours in the first half of le tour? NO ONE. So it isn't strange that spartacus only won one long time trial. Indurain was a stage racer so his recover was great and in that time le tour had 3/4 time trials

The Tour had long TT's in 2007, 2008 and 2012 in the first half and he was definitely in his prime in 2007 and 2008.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

burning said:
portugal11 said:
burning said:

The Tour had long TT's in 2007, 2008 and 2012 in the first half and he was definitely in his prime in 2007 and 2008.
In 2007 and 2012 he was in average shape

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I agree that Sagan would be the only one who realistically could win all 5 monuments. I think the following riders could top-10 in all, at least, if they focused purely on monuments: Valverde. Nibali, Kwito, Cancellara and Gilbert. All at their best very versatile. Gilbert probably the second closest to Sagan, but he only had 2-3 really good years. He has been rather underwhelming before and after his dominant year(s).

Why people think Valverde can top-10 in Roubaix? That's such an unique race, for riders with total different characteristics then Bala has.

The only Movistar guy who can do a really good PR, is Erviti. And maybe Malori and Castroviejo.

I highly doubt Valverde can even top-10 in Flanders. He has never managed to do it in Milan-San-Remo. And that's a race he is more suited to on paper then Flanders.

portugal11 said:
burning said:
portugal11 said:
burning said:

I would love to destroy a prologue and ride away from the peloton in the final km with average shape. Are you really serious?

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

burning said:
portugal11 said:
burning said:
portugal11 said:
burning said:

I would love to destroy a prologue and ride away from the peloton in the final km with average shape. Are you really serious?
Cance is a very talented rider and even in average shape he is stronger and more powerful than 99% of the peloton. He doesn't need to be at top shape to win prologues.

TRENDING THREADS