• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ranny giving more naming rights away for free?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I have to wonder what people there are thinking, seeing this? I mean, it's starting to look like some sort of propaganda rally.

Unfortunately people just look at the money it brings to the state and believe what they hear from guys like Rann, Tutur, liggett and sherwen. What else are they suppose to believe, then as these people are seen to be smart people who are in the know?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Rann doesn't have to give Lancey-poo the keys to the state, he appears to have already given him access to the bank account. I agree with l'Alpe, don't the taxpayers have anything to say about this?

Well apparently - Lance has bought $40,000,000 in revenue to the South Australian economy, for the most part I guess the tax payers haven't got much to complain about if the figures are true.

I personally think it is bull. But then I have the most incompetent government running the state I live in, so stones, glass houses and all that.;)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Unfortunately people just look at the money it brings to the state and believe what they hear from guys like Rann, Tutur, liggett and sherwen. What else are they suppose to believe, then as these people are seen to be smart people who are in the know?

when they hear liggett and sherwin open their mouths about wonderboy and they cant hear the sycophancy from those 2 meat puppets, they deserve wonderboy....bet cuddles is not too happy that wonderboy gets more column inches in Aussieland than himself.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
msjett said:
Well apparently - Lance has bought $40,000,000 in revenue to the South Australian economy, for the most part I guess the tax payers haven't got much to complain about if the figures are true.

I personally think it is bull. But then I have the most incompetent government running the state I live in, so stones, glass houses and all that.;)

$4,000 more likely in buying jet fuel to get home.:rolleyes:

msjett said:

:eek: That is one voracious appetite for hookers and blow.

Pimps and dealers pay income taxes, right?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
when they hear liggett and sherwin open their mouths about wonderboy and they cant hear the sycophancy from those 2 meat puppets, they deserve wonderboy....bet cuddles is not too happy that wonderboy gets more column inches in Aussieland than himself.

Errrrr, maybe because Pharmstong has won seven Tours and Cuddles none???? And don't try to tell me that Cuddles rides clean.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
:eek: That is one voracious appetite for hookers and blow.

Pimps and dealers pay income taxes, right?

Well Armstrong has never failed a drug test, so I guess its possible that Pimps and Dealers could pay tax?:p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
Errrrr, maybe because Pharmstong has won seven Tours and Cuddles none???? And don't try to tell me that Cuddles rides clean.

That is irrelevant. According to some people all of them are on drugs. Yet those same people still follow the sport. Cadel was world champion last year and he is australia's top rider. Lance's team got from 11 to 19 and cadel's team didn't. What a joke. Shows how little they think about our top riders but just care about the money they get. This is against popular belief, but some people actually went to watch Australia's best current (and arguably of all time) rider. For all of evans' great acheivements he hardly gets much recognition in the mainstream media. The day he pulled on the yellow jersey at the tour de france last year he got a little mention at the end of the sport segment and that was it. Armstrong got more of a mention. I am sorry but it is bull**** that Rann names a bike path after Lance and not after our best Australian cyclist, Cadel Evans.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd love to see an audit on that $40m. And I thought my country was completely screwed politically.

Well they had 40,000 people come from interstate or overseas for the race which ain't bad. It means that each person would of had to put $1000 into the economy so when you look at accomadation, buying food, transport, merchandise and other stuff it is viable that it could of pumped 40 mil into the economy.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd love to see an audit on that $40m. And I thought my country was completely screwed politically.

Well I could be totally wrong and misheard what was said, they were bigging up the race, so they may have been talking total bull.

I don't know if anyone else heard it I thought it was an odd thing to talk about. It was almost like justifying themselves. I am sure someone will know what the figures would really be.

auscyclefan94 said:
Well they had 40,000 people come from interstate or overseas for the race which ain't bad. It means that each person would of had to put $1000 into the economy so when you look at accomadation, buying food, transport, merchandise and other stuff it is viable that it could of pumped 40 mil into the economy.

So without His Lanceness none of that would have happened, right? Never mind people may actually be visiting for the race itself.

msjett said:

I’ve heard this 40m figure a few times. Most of the time to justify Armstrong fee of 3m. You get the soundbyte 3m to make 40m what a good deal. But that’s not reality. Reason being even if the 40m is a valid figure its not a 37m profit. Armstrong wouldn’t be coming if he wasn’t racing the TDU. The TDU wouldn’t be staged if they didn’t pay for every single rider and team staff to fly business class to Australia along with their hotels and living expenses. Its costs 23m to stage the TDU. So you add the 23m to the 3m and you have 26 million. Then you need to take into account that January in Australia it is school holidays and the hottest month of the year. So there's already a lot of travel occurring which would mean something in the region of 10m+ of spend that would have occurred even without Armstrong or the TDU. You can’t say it would be a normal month in January in terms of holiday spend. So in reality you’re outlaying 36m million to make 4million. Not sure that’s good business. But even if it is they have to stop stating Armstrong brings in the 40m.

So the SA government give the rights away for free in return for the stimulus of the economy. Wasn't the $2mil payment enough?

This kind of governance (corruption) would be under heavy scrutiny in most others states and federally.

Hoggy - they aren't making anything (except the state government taxes and reimbursement of GST), it's just about the stimulus effect of public spending. If they just split the $2mil amongst 2,000 people they would put less than $2mil into the SA economy (before the multiplier). Of course the 2,000 citizens would be much happier though. The expenditure on Lance itself is quite a good deal (in economic management terms), if the reported numbers are to be believed.

But all these "bonuses" are very dodgy, the SA government needs to clarify the situation with Flinders and this dual-use path.

thehog said:
I’ve heard this 40m figure a few times. Most of the time to justify Armstrong fee of 3m. You get the soundbyte 3m to make 40m what a good deal. But that’s not reality. Reason being even if the 40m is a valid figure its not a 37m profit. Armstrong wouldn’t be coming if he wasn’t racing the TDU. The TDU wouldn’t be staged if they didn’t pay for every single rider and team staff to fly business class to Australia along with their hotels and living expenses. Its costs 23m to stage the TDU. So you add the 23m to the 3m and you have 26 million. Then you need to take into account that January in Australia it is school holidays and the hottest month of the year. So there's already a lot of travel occurring which would mean something in the region of 10m+ of spend that would have occurred even without Armstrong or the TDU. You can’t say it would be a normal month in January in terms of holiday spend. So in reality you’re outlaying 36m million to make 4million. Not sure that’s good business. But even if it is they have to stop stating Armstrong brings in the 40m.

It's fairly normal practice though - after the Tour was in London there were a load of reports about the financial benefit which including looking at how many hotel rooms were full. Er, it was July, in London, every hotel room is always full. When people want to do things they'll always find some way of justifying it.

R.0.t.O said:
It's fairly normal practice though - after the Tour was in London there were a load of reports about the financial benefit which including looking at how many hotel rooms were full. Er, it was July, in London, every hotel room is always full. When people want to do things they'll always find some way of justifying it.

I know I was there. Difference being that the mayor's office paid ASO for the stage and that was it. ASO stumped up the rest of the costs. The teams also got themselves to the start line. They also didn't need to pay the riders to turn up! or even pay ONE rider to turn up.

The prologue in London was a cracking success.. But they got a hell of a better deal than what the public in Adelaide are getting. But that’s ok. London is an exclusive attractive city. Its sells itself. Adelaide is well Adelaide.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Firstly, the pro teams have to come but you wouldn't get a higher quality field as usual. A lot of that 23 million dollars is costed by Sponsors. I think 10 million dollars extra is incorrect.

You have 40,000 people come from interstate and overseas. That would be predominantly coming for the tdu.

Some of that 40 million dollars will also be from people of south australia spending money to follow the event as well. The amount of spectators also proves that it is a good event for the South Australian Government to invest in.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Great analysis....I think that this would be closer to reality.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Actually know all these figures chaps or are we making a collective guess out of thin air? Privy to the SA governments books are we? Tourism SA? For say the last twenty years or so? Or is it up to the usual high standards of evidence collation by the collective wisdom of the clinic crew ie: no ****ing idea?

I think I'll wait for the official audit or Royal Commision, thank you.

TRENDING THREADS