• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rasmussen also pulls a Rasmussen.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
It has been mentioned above, but don't you all find the timing of released doping cases odd? They are always odd, before the tour, before the Worlds. Does any journalist have a timeline on this? Is it just availability bias? Are cases actually evenly spread, is it coincidence?

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
What i said is he saw this as a possible opportunity to raise his clean status. Nowt more. If he can get his stuff together for another team in 2013, well this will look good on his CV.

Do you think he should have done something other than fire Rasmussen?

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I find it hard to believe that if Vaughters was serious about 'clean' racing that he could not have done some background checks.

Considering that the UCI has a 'suspicion index' it is pretty obvious that the UCI has to some extent a knowledge of who the more dodgy riders are.

Did Vaughter's not think to ask the rider 'is there anything we should know about doping/missed tests?' when signing the rider? You'd have thought in a sport like cycling where doping is such an issue and so many people have skeletons buried that it would be routine if you were serious about clean racing.

If Vaughters' didn't ask questions then he is either i) incompetent ii) operates 'don't ask, don't tell' iii) doesn't care iv) his anti-doping stuff is bull**** and he is no better than Gianetti, Holm, Aldag, Hog and Riis.

You've missed the most likely option that Rasmussen simply lied.

I would imagine, because it's the logical thing to do, that each teams anti-doping policy contains a clause that requires a rider to be forthcoming about any transgressions in the past.

Ragerod said:
You've missed the most likely option that Rasmussen simply lied.

I would imagine, because it's the logical thing to do, that each teams anti-doping policy contains a clause that requires a rider to be forthcoming about any transgressions in the past.

So why did Vaughters not say that?

Vaughters ****s up again.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
So why did Vaughters not say that?

Vaughters ****s up again.

What did Vaughters (or Garmin) say? I know there was a link on twitter earlier but I didn't click it.

Edit - scratch that, I found it - there was one tweet, which suggests that the teams are not privy to that information.

Second edit - the only comment from Garmin that I can find is this:
"Our policy is stringent. In light of this situation, Alex Rasmussen will not be joining our team".

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
That would be to assume that a "background check" can be made. I am not aware of such a procedure being available (or, admittedly, not available).

If such a facility does exist, it seems rather prejudicial to an individual to refuse to employ him based on something he hasn't actually done (a third missed test) and up to which point he has not in fact done anything sanctionable. We are not, after all, obliged to declare a police caution in job applications.

So unless he is being sanctioned, that individual's "record", if such a thing exists, ought to remain private. It should be enough that, if he chooses to hide what he could himself have volunteered to his employer and he then screws up again, the consequences - i.e. instant dismissal - are clear enough to both parties.

EDIT: JV seems to confirm that this info is not available

I would assume in contract talks that some sort of questioning of PED's takes place. Since this is very much on the front burner. If he was not forthcoming in his answers, that would be grounds for firing. It would not matter if the offence occured again- he lied.

Dr. Maserati said:
What did Vaughters (or Garmin) say? I know there was a link on twitter earlier but I didn't click it.

Edit - scratch that, I found it - there was one tweet, which suggests that the teams are not privy to that information.

Second edit - the only comment from Garmin that I can find is this:
"Our policy is stringent. In light of this situation, Alex Rasmussen will not be joining our team".

Which strikes me as a little bit odd and makes me suspect that Garmin didn't question Rasmussen.

If they had questioned Rasmussen and he had lied then I would expect the press statement to emphasize that they had been misled by him.

Didn't Christine Ohuruogu also claim that the reason why she missed those three tests was because she was really 'forgetful' and 'disorganised'.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Which strikes me as a little bit odd and makes me suspect that Garmin didn't question Rasmussen.

If they had questioned Rasmussen and he had lied then I would expect the press statement to emphasize that they had been misled by him.
Well the release said "Our policy is stringent" - I would doubt they would not hire someone over one missed test, however I would assume they would not hire someone if they had made intentional false claims.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Didn't Christine Ohuruogu also claim that the reason why she missed those three tests was because she was really 'forgetful' and 'disorganised'.
I certainly don't take Rasmussens claims of innocence at face value.

You could miss one test by being sloppy or disorganized - but three? It does not sound plausible.

Dr. Maserati said:
You could miss one test by being sloppy or disorganized - but three? It does not sound plausible.

ingsve said:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity...And I'm only certain about the latter. - Albert Einstein.

Well, I could see a person who procrastinates, is disorganized, forgetful or lazy missing 3 tests. But those are just nice ways of saying what ingsve's Einstein quote says. Because the normal person, after missing one test, would be certain to not miss any more if it was really important to them. I just assume it is important to this guy to keep racing.

If he lied then why not say that - the team policy line refers probably to not signing riders under investigation/suspension rather than team policy is not to hire people who lied to them.

If I were running a team where my 'big thing' was the strong anti-doping stance of my team the first thing I would do when signing a rider would be to do due diligence on that rider for suspected doping issues, which is more than just looking at the blood data.

It seems to me that Garmin did not do that. It seems that they thought that the blood data was all the work they needed to do for the fig leaf of respectability.

Not that anyone in the media will be asking any tough questions of Vaughters for this latest **** up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
richtea said:
Do you think he should have done something other than fire Rasmussen?

well that depends if HTC are a clean team. If they are clean Rasmussen should never have been given a ride. If they are not a clean team, well than it is as i said.

The team managers and the riders know the rules...3 strikes...you are out.

Then, for him to say this in the interview:

VN: The ‘quarter’ was in 2010, was it not?

AR: Yes, I’ve no idea how all this has taken so long to come to this; I’d actually forgotten that I had the two warnings - I knew I had one but had forgotten the second one, this was a bombshell.

Yes, I "forgot." These sound like the excuses of a 10yr old child regarding their homework that should be turned it. Not the words of a seasoned professional riding for the most successful cycling team the past 4-5 yrs.

The I forgot line is pathetic.

Lastly, there are obvious motives with the UCI and others who have agenda's regarding the Worlds. Just look at all of the information, accusations and what not that are coming out lately..Longo, Rasmussen etc..the timing, when the information has been available for 1-4 yrs with each of them, is suspicious to say the least.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You admit you cannot answer the simple question and yet keep asserting that there is some intent by all parties to keep this information secret (and yet they will leak it quietly to each other?).

i answered your question. i am not in the middle of the sport. But if i was as DS would be able to find out what riders are doing, because it would be part of my job to have my ear to the ground and have sources for info relating to riders, soigneurs etc....

Dr. Maserati said:
I actually think you are giving the DCU and UCI too much credit there of being able to pull off such a scheme - to me it sounds like neither know what the other is doing.

I dont even consider the UCI as anything other than a cash collector.

Dr. Maserati said:
So, you go to all the trouble of getting advanced notice of testing - and then forget the date?

people who take dangerous illegal substances are not the smartest people imo.

Dr. Maserati said:
Well you appeared to have a stab at questioning his motivation.
Maybe they sacked their rider because he broke their rules?

yeah and maybe he doesn't like Rasmussen or maybe he's leaving the pro peloton known to sponsors as a guy who is anti doping.

Dr. Maserati said:
Quite simply, because they didn't.
L'Equipe were notified after she had missed 3 tests and an investigation was launched.
Voeckler admitted his own errors (I don't think he said he missed tests).

The AFLD dont have it on their website, so how did L'Equipe come by this info if it just the athlete was notified?

Voeckler admitted it before it was leaked, as these things are.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Yes, I "forgot." These sound like the excuses of a 10yr old child regarding their homework that should be turned it. Not the words of a seasoned professional riding for the most successful cycling team the past 4-5 yrs.

The I forgot line is pathetic.

It is apparent that you don't know some pro riders at all.... I can believe that Alex forgot, he is one of the most dis-organised persons I have met or worked with - a great guy, good fun to be with, more natural talent as a rider than it is fair for anyone to have, but just not blessed with an organised mind......

I hope that he does not get 2 years, maybe 6 months will teach him a lesson, & be enough to get a decent secretary to organise him:)

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
missing a test (and filing incorrect training plans etc) should be an on the spot 3 month ban for a first offence.
furthermore an investigation into the whereabouts at the time of a missed test should be mandatory and a fine significant enough to cover this investigation and the cost of 5 out of competition tests on athletes 3 of which (at least) will be used on the rider in question.

i'm careless/badly organised is not a good enough excuse

these guys are professional so they should act like it.

EDIT: anyone with any exacerbating circumstances (deliberately posted wrong info, not answered/returned the phone call from the tester.........)

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
lancaster said:
missing a test (and filing incorrect training plans etc) should be an on the spot 3 month ban for a first offence.
furthermore an investigation into the whereabouts at the time of a missed test should be mandatory and a fine significant enough to cover this investigation and the cost of 5 out of competition tests on athletes 3 of which (at least) will be used on the rider in question.

EDIT: anyone with any exacerbating circumstances (deliberately posted wrong info, not answered/returned the phone call from the tester.........)

You seem to forget that you are in privileged position of being the only human in history never to make a mistake or forget anything.

This investigation of yours will probably take two or three months (because there will be a lot of them) and then it turns out that testers went to the wrong place (it happens) or the rider's flight had been delayed yet again and is mobile battery had gone dead. In the meantime the rider has missed half the season and you're having to defend a lawsuit.

The high horse land you inhabit has little bearing on reality.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
It is apparent that you don't know some pro riders at all.... I can believe that Alex forgot, he is one of the most dis-organised persons I have met or worked with - a great guy, good fun to be with, more natural talent as a rider than it is fair for anyone to have, but just not blessed with an organised mind......

I hope that he does not get 2 years, maybe 6 months will teach him a lesson, & be enough to get a decent secretary to organise him:)

I realize that guys travel alone lots of times to spend dead miles w friends and family. There should be some protocol from the UCI that the team can be contacted before even his first offense. If he was some serial offender it's one thing but the guy had a number pinned on at the Tour of Brittan , the 1st or 2nd strike could have been dealt w very differently. If a guy is a little spaced out or just tired and is not a doper the last thing he or she is thinking about is checking in w controls. I hope he gets less than 3 months. If the UCI would have given him 15 days suspension for his first offense and a fine there probably would not have been a number 2 or 3. Stupid rule, even worse organization from the UCI. with 300 bucks worth of software and barcodes on pro licenses he would have know of his first error at the first race after the offense. The official would have said sorry you can't race

lancaster said:

Exactly it is part of their job, just as much as riding the bike. They have do some admin as part of their job. Well, welcome to the real world where we all have to fill in forms as often an indirect part of our jobs.

Saying 'I forgot' is nonsense and as someone else said, is the kind of excuse someone at school would come out with.

It is no different to claiming 'someone spiked my toothpaste', 'I ate a tainted steak', 'It was my invisible twin', etc etc

TRENDING THREADS