• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rasmussen suing for millions

May 23, 2011
Visit site
5.6 million euros. That is a lot of trips to Italy.

Perhaps they will pay to keep him quiet about what the other riders like Menchov, Dekker, and Boogerd were doing with management's knowledge or assistance.

Damiano Machiavelli said:
5.6 million euros. That is a lot of trips to Italy.

Perhaps they will pay to keep him quiet about what the other riders like Menchov, Dekker, and Boogerd were doing with management's knowledge or assistance.
If they're happy to pay for his silence, then why was a lawsuit necessary? A deal to keep up appearances?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Good luck to him it is a lot of money to keep quiet It will also cost him big $$$$ if he looses so he must have a case to answer.

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
He's got to be kidding. He was fired, terminated, let go what part of that doesn't he get. Suspended for two years for lying. He wants compensation for the Tour he didn't win, Criteriums as well.

Well Rabobank, I want compensation for not winning the 2011 tour. 50,000 Cdn dollars will do (I'm not greedy). I'm not on the team, but nor was he in Paris. So my case is as strong as his. Anybody else for some easy coin? :rolleyes:

ksmith said:
He's got to be kidding. He was fired, terminated, let go what part of that doesn't he get. Suspended for two years for lying. He wants compensation for the Tour he didn't win, Criteriums as well.

Well Rabobank, I want compensation for not winning the 2011 tour. 50,000 Cdn dollars will do (I'm not greedy). I'm not on the team, but nor was he in Paris. So my case is as strong as his. Anybody else for some easy coin? :rolleyes:

In the US he wouldn't get away with BS like this. He already sued Rabobank once. That should end all this.

He's a worm.

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
if i had a bullet....
this dude is taking it to a new level, im sick of this clown he should join ricco and both seek some common sence.

sorry normally im not so harsh...but i say its getting ridiculous

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
In the US he wouldn't get away with BS like this. He already sued Rabobank once. That should end all this.

He's a worm.

He has two courses of action.

Appeal against the decision "awarding" him 715,000 Euros instead of $1.1m (if he is not out of time) due to him under his contract with Rabobank. In many jurisdictions of the world if the judge made an arithmetical error in his/her judgment then the judgment can be amended under a "slip rule" without invoking an Appeal.

The claim balance of 4.5m Euros is a separate non contractual damages claim on very frivolous grounds.

Velodude said:

Appeal against the decision "awarding" him 715,000 Euros instead of $1.1m (if he is not out of time) due to him under his contract with Rabobank. In many jurisdictions of the world if the judge made an arithmetical error in his/her judgment then the judgment can be amended under a "slip rule" without invoking an Appeal.

The claim balance of 4.5m Euros is a separate non contractual damages claim on very frivolous grounds.

That was very informative. Thanks.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Velodude said:

Statute of limitations is 6 years in most cases but when was the original case started is he appealing something from that.
It wont be CAS dealing with the matter

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Velodude said:

I assume from what you have stated in regards of the appeal, he could also end up with nothing.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Statute of limitations is 6 years in most cases but when was the original case started is he appealing something from that.
It wont be CAS dealing with the matter

Rasmussen's services were terminated by Rabobank in July 2007.

Presumably he took breach of contract action against Rabobank thereafter and in July 2008 he claims to have won in litigation but only to the extent of 715,000 and not $1.1m euros.

His rights to challenge the decision, by appeal or "slip rule" (if it exists), is limited by the rules or legislation relating to that court. In my neck of the woods it is 21-28 days depending on the level of court.

Any other grievance that he has against Rabobank other than what he claims is due under his contract is limited to be commenced within the local statute of limitations period after he became aware of the circumstances giving rise to his claim for damages. He is within time if it is 6 years.

On his original claim under breach of contract that ship would have sailed if the limited time to act has expired.

The only exception could be if the judgment was obtained by fraud.

Rupert Murdoch has a legitimate future claim against LA if the settlement between LA and The Times was obtained by fraud. The UK law views a court stamped settlement between the parties as a judgment.

But at the moment and into the future Mr. Murdoch would have more pressing issues to deal with than a comparatively immaterial settlement.

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
From what I gathered, reading on feltet.dk, the case is the appeal of the earlier decision. Rasmussen claims that judge made a miscalculation. So not a new lawsuit. Bur rather a slow process.

I may be reading the broken English translation wrong, but the article suggests this has more to do with sponsor management making the decision to fire him and compares it to Dekker's situation.

I recall the guy as widely regarded as doping when he rode in the U.S. prior to his ascendency to the Pro peloton. His wildly uneven results certainly suggested it. If there was another potential Landis-scale bomb-thrower, Rasmussen would be it.

What he is saying is:
1.) the court's verdict was that rabobank was at fault when they fired me.
2.) the court awarded me 0.7 million. However they made a mistake, i was due 1.1 million during the remainder of my contract. So i appeal (or whatever the correct term is) and would like to get the full share of the remainder of my contract
3.) Since we are a couple of years later we know that i have not been able to compete in a grand tour for a good team anymore. This is due to the negative publicity i received after being fired. If i hadn't been fired i would have been a TDF champ and would have made a fortune. However due to getting fired i did not get these offers. And with the judge allready agreeing that Rabo was at fault for firing me they can be seen as the ones getting in this mess and since they were at fault they are responsible for missed income.

i don't know the details of this case enough to have a good idea what it will end in, but imo the weak point in his 'defense' will be that even if rabo hadn't fired him he would still have gotten the bad press because it was allready out in the open that he wasnt in mexico. So he might have won the TDF but i don't think he would have signed a 2.5 million deal for next year.

Anyway, interesting to see what will happen...

Nearly there. The Dutch courts rules there wasn't enough grounds to fire him for cause, on the post. So they at least owe him the salary and such for the remainder of his contract. The ruling wasn't that he couldn't be sacked at all, so I think the rest of his claim is quite frivolous as in having missed income by being sacked (albeit in the spot or later).

Regards
GJ