Rate the 2015 Giro d'Italia

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how awesome was this Giro?

  • Vino

    Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Lower than 6, and should be forever banned from the forum

    Votes: 6 3.2%
  • 9

    Votes: 81 42.9%
  • 10

    Votes: 20 10.6%
  • 7

    Votes: 16 8.5%
  • 8

    Votes: 46 24.3%
  • 6

    Votes: 7 3.7%

  • Total voters
    189
Jul 26, 2011
151
0
0
Re:

rzombie1988 said:
Did I watch a different Giro? From the start I knew no one was going to touch Alberto. It was over at the time trial. Yes, they did some good racing in the last week, but I missed the first two weeks and never felt like I missed a thing. Aru wasn't a really serious contender for Contador nor was anyone else in the field, but you can say that about any race with him that doesn't have Froome in it.

No comparison to Contador's last 2 Vuelta wins or his previous Giro win. Better than the 2014 TdF though.

Either we have a bunch of new fans or we have people with bad memories.
If you missed the first 2 weeks you definitely watched a different race! :)
 
May 4, 2010
235
0
0
Re:

rzombie1988 said:
Did I watch a different Giro? From the start I knew no one was going to touch Alberto. It was over at the time trial. Yes, they did some good racing in the last week, but I missed the first two weeks and never felt like I missed a thing. Aru wasn't a really serious contender for Contador nor was anyone else in the field, but you can say that about any race with him that doesn't have Froome in it.

No comparison to Contador's last 2 Vuelta wins or his previous Giro win. Better than the 2014 TdF though.

Either we have a bunch of new fans or we have people with bad memories.
Nothing like hindsight to help with predictions.
You must have missed the last two competitive stages too... in fact did you watch any of it?
 
Jul 13, 2010
458
0
0
Vino level !!

Seriously, this was one of, if not the hardest raced GT I've witnessed. Also every day surprising events unfolded. Biases aside, I have difficulty imagining how you could wish for more. I guess the fight for the win could've been more close, but then again with that stage 20, I wasn't ready to sell it beforehand, and indeed there was to be some moments of doubt on the day.
 
9. 8 for the racing and one for the motorhome.

Ryder, Gilbert, Contador, Astana, Polanc, Kruijswijk, significant crashes and mechanicals. Great final week.

Didn't like Orica seemingly passing the jersey around in week 1.
 
7.5 for me. Everyone knew who would win. He looked vulnerable on one stage. It never really looked in doubt thanks to Astana's tactics. Honourable mentions to Landa and Hesjedal. I think the Tour will be more interesting even though this was an entertaining race. Probably the best Giro since 2010 with Robo Basso.
 
Vino level.
Astana looked like the good Gewiss of olde. Cool stuff.
Aussie mates doing some bromance and getting kicked in the arse. Brilliant.
Motorhome & RV bonanza. I laugh every time I think about it.
Aru's faces. At times it reminded me of SpongeBob.
Iljo. I mean that was one goddammit way to end a Giro.
Finally. Velasco's last GT win. Mediocre in the mountains, his aura of invincibility is finally over.
 
Jul 16, 2010
423
0
0
I almost voted "Vino" but went with 9. If Aru had been in better form it would have been a 10 for me.

Even the flat stages had drama and excitement. I felt like I couldn't miss a single day because too much happened.

As always, the scenery of Italy was jaw-dropping.

I enjoyed seeing the sheer brute strength and power of the Astana team. Regardless of their tactics, they were impressive stage after stage. A lot of depth there.

I liked that Contador didn't just totally dominate day after day. It was better that he was showing a little tiredness there toward the final days.

Many stages were either long, super hard or both.

Great race. So happy to have watched it.
 
I voted 9, but only because I never give 10/10 to anything.

It is hard to imagine a greater grand tour in this current era. I would say 15 of the stages exceeded expectations. Sure the winner was decided from a long way out. But if anybody can tell me they were 100% sure that Contador wouldn't bonk on the last 30km of the stage and avoid losing the overall....100% sure....is more of a man than me.

Podium all performed with immense credit. Some great hilly stages. Surprise ITT winner and performances. Drama, scandal, motor homes. Lovely stuff.
 
Re:

Pippo_San said:
Vino level.
Astana looked like the good Gewiss of olde. Cool stuff.
Aussie mates doing some bromance and getting kicked in the arse. Brilliant.
Motorhome & RV bonanza. I laugh every time I think about it.
Aru's faces. At times it reminded me of SpongeBob.
Iljo. I mean that was one goddammit way to end a Giro.
Finally. Velasco's last GT win. Mediocre in the mountains, his aura of invincibility is finally over.
Quoted for future reference.
 
Jan 22, 2013
7
0
8,530
I had to give this a solid nine. Drama, controversy, and every stage seemed to have at least something unexpected. Not to mention the motorhome fiasco. Added bonus was Hesjedal tearing it up on the last mountain stages. Perhaps the winner was obvious after the time trial but it was in no way a sure thing especially with a weak team. The faces of the riders at the finish said it all. "This tour was raced hard".
 
I gave a 10. I watch GT's since about 1994, when I was 13. The Giro and Vuelta were only live (complete race) from the early 2000s, so unfortunately I can't compare with e.g. the Giro of 1994.

For sure, I have seen a lot more boring TdF's the last 20 years than Giros, and this was day-by-day the most entertaining.
People wanting more (like Landa or Aru winning the Giro on the last day, or other big stories) need to realize how much already happened in this Giro. (Almost) never a dull stage or moment!
 
I will never forget how Landa drop Contador in the sterrato of the mythical climb of La Finestre (the window). One of the most magical moment I have seen in all my cycling life. Just for that the Giro would deserve a 9, but I rate 8 becouse the race would have been mofre spectacular if Astana would have wanted.
 
May 18, 2015
245
0
0
Re:

Taxus4a said:
I will never forget how Landa drop Contador in the sterrato of the mythical climb of La Finestre (the window). One of the most magical moment I have seen in all my cycling life. Just for that the Giro would deserve a 9, but I rate 8 becouse the race would have been mofre spectacular if Astana would have wanted.
LOL, you are so far up your you-know-what with your Contador hate, it makes me LOL! :D

I will never forget how Contador taught Landa a lesson on Stage 18 and left him in the dust behind that crash. Hope that teaches Mr. Landa not to openly admit to attacking someone when they have a mechanical!
 
Re: Re:

IamIronMan said:
Taxus4a said:
I will never forget how Landa drop Contador in the sterrato of the mythical climb of La Finestre (the window). One of the most magical moment I have seen in all my cycling life. Just for that the Giro would deserve a 9, but I rate 8 becouse the race would have been mofre spectacular if Astana would have wanted.
LOL, you are so far up your you-know-what with your Contador hate, it makes me LOL! :D

I will never forget how Contador taught Landa a lesson on Stage 18 and left him in the dust behind that crash. Hope that teaches Mr. Landa not to openly admit to attacking someone when they have a mechanical!
A champion dont need take advantage on that, he was lucky to find hesjedal and Landa was no allowed to leave Aru, other way would be different.

I dont want Landa learn any lesson from Contador, I just want he be himself. The ionly lesson I saw is how even Contador was just trying to fight against landa...(I dont know in english, in spanish is pique), that personal fight or obsession for Contador was won by Landa in the sterrato of Finestre.

AMAZING.

I dont have hate for anybody, but Contador is doing always things to hate him, and I find day by day more people that dont like that way.., anyway it is not a question of what people think, but what is correct nad what is not. :)
 
Jun 16, 2009
461
0
0
One of the worse Giros in a very long time. Way too easy. Not much tension...missing top riders...the 2 victories by Gilbert were the only good stages practically. 3
 
Re:

Andre.J said:
One of the worse Giros in a very long time. Way too easy. Not much tension…missing top riders…the 2 victories by Gilbert were the only good stages practically. 3
Gilbert's second win was the absolute high point for me. :D
 
Re:

Andre.J said:
One of the worse Giros in a very long time. Way too easy. Not much tension...missing top riders...the 2 victories by Gilbert were the only good stages practically. 3
Too easy for who? Winner struggled and strongest team couldn't win
 
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
IamIronMan said:
Taxus4a said:
I will never forget how Landa drop Contador in the sterrato of the mythical climb of La Finestre (the window). One of the most magical moment I have seen in all my cycling life. Just for that the Giro would deserve a 9, but I rate 8 becouse the race would have been mofre spectacular if Astana would have wanted.
LOL, you are so far up your you-know-what with your Contador hate, it makes me LOL! :D

I will never forget how Contador taught Landa a lesson on Stage 18 and left him in the dust behind that crash. Hope that teaches Mr. Landa not to openly admit to attacking someone when they have a mechanical!
A champion dont need take advantage on that, he was lucky to find hesjedal and Landa was no allowed to leave Aru, other way would be different.

I dont want Landa learn any lesson from Contador, I just want he be himself. The ionly lesson I saw is how even Contador was just trying to fight against landa...(I dont know in english, in spanish is pique), that personal fight or obsession for Contador was won by Landa in the sterrato of Finestre.

AMAZING.

I dont have hate for anybody, but Contador is doing always things to hate him, and I find day by day more people that dont like that way.., anyway it is not a question of what people think, but what is correct nad what is not. :)
What a load of crap :D
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY