• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2017 World Championships

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2017 world championshps

Votes: 6 5.4%

Votes: 13 11.7%

Votes: 17 15.3%

Votes: 25 22.5%

Votes: 20 18.0%

Votes: 11 9.9%

Votes: 9 8.1%

Votes: 7 6.3%

Votes: 2 1.8%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
10 out of 10.
The last lap was fantastic, even with the technical difficulties.
The only one day race I watch from 100 km's out is Paris-Roubaix; all others are pretty much a bore-fest until the final km's.
Too bad for Alaphilippe (sp?). He gave it a real go, and it would have been nice to see him win.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Rated it a 6. Minimal action before the last lap, and the move which went from 30km out was never a serious threat. Loved the crowds though and they certainly enhanced the viewing experience for me.

7 - enjoyed most of the racing (TT included). Elite men RR was bit "meh" and anticlimactic but I somehow expected that and wasn't even very hyped about it.
Blaak's win was fantasstic, Annemiek's one too, TD was epic, TTT was thrilling. Juniors and U23 were racing from the heart. The only enjoyable thing about elite men's RR was that Mathews didn't win ;)

Didn't really enjoy it that much. The big race was dull and it seems like the best action all happened off camera. I wasn't a fan of the TT course either - the gimmicky last climb seemed a bit unnecessary. I didn't watch any of the women's races though, so maybe they would have changed my percerption. 3 Overall.

I am clearly more easily entertained than some.

The whole championships were great. I gave them a 9 overall. I enjoyed all the races for one reason or another, but the men's time trial was the highlight for me.

I'd also rate the elite men's road race a 9. I'm happy with a reduced bunch sprint, so long as it's not a forgone conclusion and the sprinters have to earn the privilege. Yesterday, I think they did. Kristoff can sustain a long sprint after a long and hard race like few others. I thought he had it with 150m to go, and would have been really pleased for him if he'd won.

8. Overall these were very good worlds. Aside from men's elite RR every other road race and most of the TT-s were very good. Crowds were fantastic and created a real atmosphere around the event. The broadcast of TT-s was very well produced which cannot be said for most of the TTs we see throughout the season.

Even the men's elite RR wasn't a bad race in itself, but just had an anticlimactic ending. While the course was technical, tough and undulating making organising chase quite difficult, it lacked selectiveness when it came to men's race. Only place where it was possible to make real gaps was too far from the finish, Even a relatively chaotic and disorganised chase was enough to bring it together for a sprint from smallish group.

But the last race being somewhat underwhelming didn't ruin the overwhelmingly positive impression that those World's created for me.

Everyone is talking about how disappointing Belgium was meanwhile I wonder what happened to the pretty strong polish squad and especially kwiat who usually is the kind of rider who would go over the top of salmon hill together with alaphilippe.

cineteq said:
The race was great.

Teams like the Netherlands and Belgium are the ones who deserve low rating.
What??? Can you tell me where the Netherlands went wrong? They attacked with Boom, when he was caught they attacked with Dumoulin. He didn't get away so Langeveld attacked. When he was caught Terpstra attacked. And when the image was out Dumoulin tried another counter attack (behind Gaviria/Gilbert). Ofcourse useless in the sprint.

But you cannot blame them anything. They tried everything they could have. Yeah playing defensive now, because this is bs and you know it

Especially Poels was a complete disappointment, but he has always been and probably will be a hit or miss rider. That's why he should never the sole leader of a team. Domestique in GT's and co-leadership in climbing classics is enough for him with the occasional stage-hunting.

Gave the race a 6, it was quite entertaining for a long time but the end was a bit disappointing.

Re:

Netserk said:
Agreed, they were the ones to start the harder racing, but of course they could have started earlier, although their team was weaker than I thought.

Yeah, Poels had one of his usual off-days, which he seems to have often on world ch and olympics. Van Poppel...well they should have picked Slagter ofcourse (in form and good on a course like this). Van Emden and de Kort were the work horses, so logical.

Slagter could have had a result in the sprint as well. Which is why I am surprised he wasn't selected as replacement for Van Baarle instead of Van Poppel.

It's very sad that the TV-station filming this, messed up in the final kilometers, apart from that it has been a superb world championship. The tempo With a MTF was a highlight for many. Having the lap og inside the city was great for spectators, and we had unbelievable Luck With the weather. I see complaints about the road race being decided by a bunch sprint. However, at 4-5km from finish it looked like the small bunch would not Catch the riders Ahead... If not for a couple of teams With two guys, and letting one bury himself to try to Catch up, there would probably have been no medal or at least no gold for Sagan.
Norway finally got the medal we needed on the last race, silver was like gold here. TV-problems I suspect come from the TV-station recently moving to New location/building.... Have not heard of Power loss at any other Places...

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Netserk said:
Agreed, they were the ones to start the harder racing, but of course they could have started earlier, although their team was weaker than I thought.

Yeah, Poels had one of his usual off-days, which he seems to have often on world ch and olympics. Van Poppel...well they should have picked Slagter ofcourse (in form and good on a course like this). Van Emden and de Kort were the work horses, so logical.

Slagter could have had a result in the sprint as well. Which is why I am surprised he wasn't selected as replacement for Van Baarle instead of Van Poppel.
Yeah, having a sprinter was useless. There was no point in any sprinter but Sagan, Kristoff, Matthews, Gaviria, and Trentin being there. You're not gonna get a medal with him.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
(can only comment on the men's races)

on plus side:
- great scenery
- great crowd (as opposed to Doha for example)
- Sagan making history

neutral:
- TT's solid but not overwhelming
- unfortunately a sprint winner, at least no one-hit wonders on the podium

negative
- main race could have been contested a bit harder

and for all those who are blaming Peter for winning in lack of style:
- frankly with two teammates (which are clearly not on par with the riders big nations have put up) what do you want to else than just wait and see if chance turns your way?
- and as someone put it earlier: this is the result of all the experience of "smart riding" when Peter is in a break ...

It's kinda sad when people include the size of a crowd when judging the entertainment value of a race.
I love cycling and I have huge respect for those who can turn on the jets after riding 260 km's, but most races are boring to watch until the last 40 km's or so.
The last lap of the elite men's race was a thing of beauty. But I honestly don't see how broadcasting a bike race 160 km's from the finish is entertaining.
Unless you include the elite women's race when riders were getting popped out the back when the race hadn't even started, nothing is happening.

I gave it a 8, mostly to give Netserk a smile :) .

The course wasn't that great in the RR, the ITT was way too short. Do away with it or make it 60km.

French guy winning the U23 is always nice, I wish that PFP had medal-ed (at least) but she's back, the mens RR was the big slice of the cake and we got a three-in-a-row that is by all metrics cycling history.

'18 in Austria will crown a real best all-around rider. RRWCs are too flat, but hats off to Sagan for making it three. It's HUGE!!!

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
the delgados said:
It's kinda sad when people include the size of a crowd when judging the entertainment value of a race.
I love cycling and I have huge respect for those who can turn on the jets after riding 260 km's, but most races are boring to watch until the last 40 km's or so.
The last lap of the elite men's race was a thing of beauty. But I honestly don't see how broadcasting a bike race 160 km's from the finish is entertaining.
Unless you include the elite women's race when riders were getting popped out the back when the race hadn't even started, nothing is happening.

I'm not sure that entertaining is the right word, I would use the word relaxing. I live a EST zone. This means for most races I can wake up at 8, have my coffee, breakfast, skim the news, maybe do a little work. That's the beauty of cycling for me. It's like a good podcast. It's relaxing background noise.

It seems many people here judge the world championships from the mens' elite race only, but the whole week was great. Excellent time trial courses, and hey, don't turn on your TV early in the afternoon to watch Sagan and the other guys. Nothing interesting happens before the last 20 k's - that's how it is with professional cycling. Don't be disappointed about that.