• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2018 Tour de France route

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How do you rate the route of the 2018 Tour de France?

Votes: 3 2.2%

Votes: 13 9.4%

Votes: 42 30.2%

Votes: 35 25.2%

Votes: 23 16.5%

Votes: 11 7.9%

Votes: 7 5.0%

Votes: 3 2.2%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Out of the last 10 years, where does this edition rank route wise? I say:

Certainly better than 2009, 2012 and 2017. All downright horrible routes.
I'd also rank it better than 2011 and 2015.
On par with 2008 and 2013, maybe those two are better tho.
I'd only rate 10 and 14 certainly better than this route. Hmm.

I basically agree with the assesment of Gigs, but I'm a little more generous: 7

Given the region they start in, it's hard not to have at least 2 pan flat stages in the first 3 stages in line. The second stage, however, could have ended somewhere around Mont des Alouettes (2011) or le Puy du Fou. At least it could have had some hills in the final. I also would have swapped the TTT with a short ITT (10-15km).
The two stages in Brittany are good: the stage to Quimper seems a bit harder than the stage to Boulogne in 2012, let's hope it delivers and the stage to Mûr de Bretagne will definitely see some action in the last 20km. But I think those 2 stages will end in reduced bunch sprints.
Next are 2 flat stages. I was a bit disappointed after Alençon fell off as finishtown and was replaced by Chartres, but the stage to Quimper is probably better than a stage to Alençon could have been. We can only hope for heavy crosswinds during those stages. The cobbled stage seems a bit short and lacks an extra hard sector in the final, but it will sort out the field big time. Even the easy and few sectors during the cobbled stage in 2015 saw decent splits. Sectors like bersée and Camphin-en-Pévèle will have a big impact on the race (if they aren't cancelled because of rain, like in 2014).

I like the design and pacing of the first 2 Alpine stage, but the difficulty of the stage to l'Alpe will block them.
Although the stage to Valence could be a lot harder, I guess the second week needed a flat stage and I can live with it. Stages 14 and 15 are traditional medium mountain stage, which can deliver,but probably wont (except the Côte de Croix-neuve).

I like the first Pyrenean stage and don't know what to think of the second. It's too short, but brutally explosive. The flat stage to Pau is meh, but i rather like the stage to Laruns. The final itt should have been a dozen km or so longer, while maintaining the hilly course (It's not even that hilly, rather rolling).

I gave it an 8. If this had been a Giro or Vuelta I would have rated it significantly lower but for a Tour, I think this is a good route.

First week – Full of appetizers and irregular opportunities (stage 1-9)

Stage 1-2:
On paper the profile looks really boring but the chance of crosswinds on both stages could result in a lot more action on these two first stages. Anyway I see them as a lot more interesting than the usual first couple of sprinter stages in the Tour.

Stage 3:
I don’t like TT’s in general and it seems a bit too long for my taste. In worst case scenario the Tour could be over (especially if Dumoulin does not participate). Richie Porte might come out well but with next years route he is certainly bound to crash out again somewhere or because of after effects from stage 9 outplay his role one way or another. I don’t even see him as a real contender because of that. However this TT will be more decisive and fun to watch than a regular stage for the sprinters.

Stage 4:
And here it comes – the first for sure really boring stage. In my opinion a grand tour should at the most have 6 pure stages for sprinters. This one certainly fits that bill.

Stage 5-6:
Hilly but unlikely to rattle the GC or entice action among the favourites. Stage 5 would be a day where riders like Avermart, Ulissi and that type of riders should try and go stage hunting. Stage 6’s double ascent of Mur de Bretagne in my opinion is a nice effort to spice up an unoriginal “climb”. Its there for the punchers and maybe Sagan, Gaviria, Matthews. Even if GC is tight nobody would want to go in yellow at this stage of the race except for Froome.

Stage 7-8:
Heaven for sprinters.

Stage 9:
This is personally for me a stage I look forward to. The Tour could be over for one or several GC-riders after this one. The last 100 km will be a race of chasing and chasing and it would be interesting to see for example Avermarts loyalty towards Porte when he crashes into the ground on numerous occasions. Because of this stage Quintana should really go to the Giro again and try for the Tour some other time. The stage represents something different and I like the idea of at least one very untraditional stage for a grand tour.

Second week – Close to perfect

Stage 10-12:
The alps look really good this year and to be honest as separate stage designs I like each and of them. Of course like others already wrote the sequence worries me a bit. I do however believe we will see plenty of actions on all three stages. That is because of stage 9 where there must have been a few of the GC-riders losing time and therefore in a dire situation where they need to gain time back. If not that a situation where two or more of Froomes helpers are potentially damaged from crashes could entice several other teams to test Sky’s strength. I at least try to look at this optimistically.

Stage 13:
Boring, but perhaps necessary with a break and recharge batteries. Also a flat stage after Alpe d’Huez encourages more action on stage 12.

Stage 14-15:
These medium mountain stages is somewhat a puzzle to me. I would have preferred the stage to Mende to be a bit harder and Pic de Nore on stage 15 to peak closer to the finish line. Stage 14 will most likely only be about the last 3 km and stage 15 a classic break-away stage. Especially stage 15 could have been left with more options if only the finish line was a bit closer. A daring Bardet or Nibali could use the descent or something like that. It could have also worked because the next day is a resting day and the day after tomorrow (stage 16) not the hardest of the mountain stages.

Third week – decisive but could have been better

Stage 16-17:
The fact that stage 17 is only 65 km enhances the chance any GC-rider would try to force a situation on stage 16. It is a rather long stage so maybe the not so steep Portillon could be enough. I could easily see Froome, Nibali, Bardet attack on the last 2 km uphill and go down fast on the downhill. Col de Menté is too far out for an early attack. In the end I am a bit disappointed by this stage 16. Although I would like to be optimistic most likely this will be a transitional stage into the mountains. The GC-riders will just make sure there legs are there before the final action the following days. Stage 17 is too short but otherwise very unconventional and interesting. Col du Portet is sweet on the eye and even if the GC-riders lack guts to attack early there will be gaps at the end of the day.

Stage 18:
Boring, but clever use of a necessary stage for sprinters. It entices more action on the preceding mountain stage and rests GC-legs for one final battle (stage 19).

Stage 19:
I actually like stage 19. Yes maybe it could have been better but by no means do I think the design is catastrophic. This is the last chance so regardless of its level somebody is bound to try something. Tourmalet is too far out for the GC-riders within 2 minutes of the yellow jersey to attack but there are still opportunities for an early strike. The last two kilometres of Col de Borderes and the hidden Col du Soulor has gradients worth attacking on. Aubisque itself is very poor from this side and in my opinion is difficult to use for an attack uphill. The final downhill does make it an option although not ideal.

Stage 20:
If it had to be an ITT, I am very happy with the route. 31 km’s rolling and several ramps to interrupt rhytms. If Tom Dumoulins is within a minute of Froome it could certainly be interesting to see if the latter would still be in yellow in Paris.

Stage 21:
Boring parade, but I guess tradition is necessary.

Gigs_98 said:
I don't think I've ever had a harder time rating a route. There are so many things I love and hate about this route at the same time. The thing I like most about this route is that we get a return of medium mountain stages. Such a hilly stage in the first week is something we probably haven't seen in the tour since 2014. The cobbles are great and could have a huge impact on the gc.
I may be both dumb and blind, but why does it look more hilly than the stage Sagan won this year to Longwy?

Netserk said:
Gigs_98 said:
I don't think I've ever had a harder time rating a route. There are so many things I love and hate about this route at the same time. The thing I like most about this route is that we get a return of medium mountain stages. Such a hilly stage in the first week is something we probably haven't seen in the tour since 2014. The cobbles are great and could have a huge impact on the gc.
I may be both dumb and blind, but why does it look more hilly than the stage Sagan won this year to Longwy?
There are more hills (the second profile only shows the second part of the stage).
67638_verviers.png

DMVT7yCX0AAISRF.jpg

Alexandre B. said:
Netserk said:
Gigs_98 said:
There are more hills (the second profile only shows the second part of the stage).
67638_verviers.png

DMVT7yCX0AAISRF.jpg
5 categorized climbs in both. I doubt there's much difference in the vertical gain. Quimper with an easier final though.

Netserk said:
Alexandre B. said:
Netserk said:
Gigs_98 said:
67638_verviers.png

DMVT7yCX0AAISRF.jpg
5 categorized climbs in both. I doubt there's much difference in the vertical gain. Quimper with an easier final though.
Are we looking at the same profiles? The Quimper stage looks way harder. I know it has a strange y-axis scale, but still, in that stage those 5 categorized climbs will all come in the 2nd half and there seem to be lots of uncategorized bumps. Meanwhile the stage to Longwy gets very easy after the 3rd cat. climb in the middle and the penultimate climb isn't even really a climb. I really think this looks like an interesting hilly stage.

Gigs_98 said:
Netserk said:
Alexandre B. said:
Netserk said:
Gigs_98 said:
67638_verviers.png

DMVT7yCX0AAISRF.jpg
Are we looking at the same profiles? The Quimper stage looks way harder. I know it has a strange y-axis scale, but still, in that stage those 5 categorized climbs will all come in the 2nd half and there seem to be lots of uncategorized bumps. Meanwhile the stage to Longwy gets very easy after the 3rd cat. climb in the middle and the penultimate climb isn't even really a climb. I really think this looks like an interesting hilly stage.
It's not like it matters. Everyone's gooing OMG A HILLY STAGE, while in truth very little is gonna happen.

Generally, I like the route there is a lot of variety.

Week 1: I always prefer ITTs to TTTs. I was hoping for a reasonably long one in week one to give Major Tom an initial advantage that he would have to defend. So no dirt roads in Brittany then? Hopefully some cross winds though. I like the Roubaix stage.

Week 2: The Alps stages are individually great. Like others, I question the ordering (I'd swap the last two stages - at least their concepts).

Week 3: The Pyrenees stages seem hard to assess. I actually like the idea of a 65km road stage with a very hard parcours. Maybe it's too short, but it's worth trying.

+ Overall, I like creativity and unused, rarely used climbs.

+ In recent years when gaps in mountain stages are small the route should test the limits. TDF 18 will definitely test limits: Romme+Colombier combo (if this stage with decent cannot deliver which can then?), Alpe d'Huez trilogy (just brutal) and col du Portet (basically Mt Ventoux at higher altitude plus two other first cat. climbs). Only Mont du Chat stage can compete with these stages but I would pick any of them over Mont du Chat stage.

+ I have never liked first week without medium or high mountain stages. I was expecting 6-7 stages for sprinters in the first week but in reality it is much better. Probably Roubaix will be more selective than any medium mountain stage. I like design of Brittany stages. Would have liked to see uphill finish in Vendee, two sprints in first two days do not make any sense. I don't mid TTT.

+ Good transitional stages between Alpes and Pyrenees.

- Final week is disappointment because only col du portet can deliver carnage. I have no expectations for Luchon stage because it is placed before brutal col du portet stage. Portillon is soft, the only hope is that it is placed closer to finish than Bales. Aubisque stage is joke because Aubisque section is soft (6.7km @ 5.2%) while Solour section is typical 1st cat. climb. It will not bring anything especially taken into account ITT the next day. I don't understand why they did not go up to Luz Ardiden after Tourmalet. This would have been proper mountain stage and almost flawless design of mountain stages.

- Lack of ITT (as usual in recent years).

Overall, despite lack of balance between ITT and mountains I am giving it 7. The best route since 2014. With more ITT km and better Pyrenees I would have given 9.

Re:

Climbing said:
One has to wonder why endurance has left the sport…

Unless Nibali comes to the Tour, it rains on the cobbles and he gains time there, it will be another procession, and I don’t mean just Froome/Sky.

This. I dont mind those short mountain stages, not at all. I do mind if they are not properly compensated by very long stages.

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Climbing said:
One has to wonder why endurance has left the sport…

Unless Nibali comes to the Tour, it rains on the cobbles and he gains time there, it will be another procession, and I don’t mean just Froome/Sky.

This. I dont mind those short mountain stages, not at all. I do mind if they are not properly compensated by very long stages.

Starting to wonder if this is part of Contador's legacy after he's gone mad on them so many times

I gave it an 8, but immediately, I realised I've rated it 2 marks too much.

I think the TTT is far too long; the TTT in the Vuelta is about the right distance - but this could leave some riders miles behind at an early stage of the race.
Like the return of the cobbles on stage 9; it could well be carnage, even before the first secteur. Disappointed they've not included the ribinou in Brittany.
And I hate to sound like a broken record, but the shortage of ITT kms is ridiculous. For that reason I hope Dumoulin doesn't bother turning up; and Bardet struggles to get on the podium. For me, a GT contender should be an 'all round' rider. If you can't TT then you shouldn't be anywhere the podium. TTing is as much as a cycling skill/discipline as climbing, and as such, should be properly tested.

Re:

Axel Hangleck said:
I gave it an 8, but immediately, I realised I've rated it 2 marks too much.

I think the TTT is far too long; the TTT in the Vuelta is about the right distance - but this could leave some riders miles behind at an early stage of the race.
Like the return of the cobbles on stage 9; it could well be carnage, even before the first secteur. Disappointed they've not included the ribinou in Brittany.
And I hate to sound like a broken record, but the shortage of ITT kms is ridiculous. For that reason I hope Dumoulin doesn't bother turning up; and Bardet struggles to get on the podium. For me, a GT contender should be an 'all round' rider. If you can't TT then you shouldn't be anywhere the podium. TTing is as much as a cycling skill/discipline as climbing, and as such, should be properly tested.
Yes, and a proper MTF ITT to even it out. All the GC riders are pretty much on a par in the mountains these days with their teams around them.

I think that this route allows the riders make this TDF very exciting. Rain during the coble stage and echelons are welcome. :D

1. I just hope that flat stages will not be 100% Kittel friendly.

2. Short ITT is must if we do not want to kill the TDF before it starts. Froome ´s TT ability and the strength of Sky are unmatched. That is the reality. Dumoulin has to prove himself first as GC contender in TDF. So this was absolutely correct decision

3. TTT . I like them but TTT longer than 10 km should not be in route. TDF should find the best GT rider, not the best GT team. I think Froome has enough of team support even without the TTT.

4. I do not understand negative comments about cobbles. I think the ability to ride on cobbles and staying on the bike should be at least so valued as the ability to climb 15 km in 8% in TDF. P-R is the most famous race in France after all and TDF should remind this to riders in each addition. Do this type of stage 3-4 times in the row and in April we can have some good GC names on start.

5. The short stage is an excellent idea, on the other hand, they should put one extra long classic 260+ stage as well as this sport still supposed to be about endurance.

It was fun to read this thread these months. I think there was a general consensus that this route will be a disaster so I think we should be pretty happy now. I start to think that somebody in ASO starts his day with CN as well. :D

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
bravo pour ce TDF exceptionel!!
:surprised:

no really, this is the best race design since 2007 or 2011.
it is a route designed for pure climbers. lets see if a pure climber can win.because this happens so rarley (vImpe,delgado,pantani)

i voted 8. only the lack of a long ITT (50k+) and a real tappone (7h+ in high mountains) dont make it 10.

at first glance it is even tougher than 2016 route. because there are many tough borderline cat1/HC climbs, two real mountain stages (ADH with 3HC) and Laruns(so late in the race,great!) and this beast of portet which should be a HHC (R.I.P. logic :lol: ). also the combintions of tough climbs,high gradients close to the finish are great.plus the pure density of demanding stages in the alps...just wow. average of 39km/h or less incoming! i think we might se many defaillances and hopefully changes of yellow.

no tour for dumoulin and very demanding for froome who i feel is in slight decline. like nairo,this might be his last opportunity. nibs should give it a go.