• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2019 Tour de France route

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate the route of next year's Tour?

Votes: 6 7.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 9 11.4%

Votes: 14 17.7%

Votes: 9 11.4%

Votes: 19 24.1%

Votes: 11 13.9%

Votes: 7 8.9%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Not many completely useless and featureless sprinter stages. But a mockery of an ITT and mountain stages more suited for an u23 race than for the Tour de France. Not even used as a one-off gimmick, but as a staple of the race. Screw this.

They've really tried to balance it, I feel.
I like the altitudes, but it kind of killed the length of closing Alpine stages, just like the second week's complexion choked Tourmalet's stage length. Nevertheless, reasonable decisions.
Very appealing route.

Not too bad, actually. Lacking a decent-length TT and one or two proper 200km+ mountain grinders, but all in all a decent route by Tour standards. I always prefer a prologue as the opener, but starting with a road stage isn't a major drawback.

Re:

Squire said:
Not too bad, actually. Lacking a decent-length TT and one or two proper 200km+ mountain grinders, but all in all a decent route by Tour standards. I always prefer a prologue as the opener, but starting with a road stage isn't a major drawback.

Descent by Tour standards? What, except from less pure sprinters stages and reasonably good Vosges and Massif Central stages, makes this a better route than normal?

- Week 1 seems okay. Great to see les Vosges.
- Pyrenees could be better
- Tourmalet stage too short
- Bagneres de Bigorre won't happen much i fear
- Don't like the stage to Tignes
- Val Thorens and Galibier stage are great
-

I love the idea of a very high mountain like Tourmalet being a MTF but it should be longer. Another plus, is the lack of muritos which I think belongs to the Vuelta.

But it's likely to be a predictable race like the last editions. Especially with the unnecessary TTT.

So: 5. Not good nor bad.

In terms of little details this Tour is really interesting:
+ finish on a random hilltop plain just below Prat d'Ablis makes some very faaaar hopes for a Basque MTF (even Arnostegi?). Possibly the most memorable thing this Tour will have (not in terms of racing though),
+ they're descending Col du Tra??? Carnage in making,
+ Val Thorens with a harder bottom on D96 and a higher finish than i've expected. I'm not sure, where they want to finish though if it's above 2360m,
+ Iseran south is nothing exceptional but last time it was seen when my grands were still babies,
+ Tignes via the D878 sideroad,
+ interesting to see a proper murito in possibly the least impactful place of the entire race

Now however to the race design:
+ at least there's a time trial and finally a Pau stage will have some weight in terms of overall racing,
+ the hilly/light medium mountain Colmar stage is ok i guess,
+ nice to see Iseran back even if only for its landscape,
+ Prat d'Ablis makes hope for some good obscure MTFs in the future,
+ potentially some Camargue wind action on the Nîmes stage,
+ good to see Vars on the Valloire stage,
+ the descent from Galibier is not too hard but it's nice to have a proper descent finish,

- why is ASO insisting that descent stages should be before (often generally harder) MTFs?
- horrendous Belgian stages,
- those hilly stages (Épernay, Brioude, Saint-Étienne) are kind of sluggish but maybe there'll be some Voeckler in making,
- once again horrible stage placement,
- historic 200m PdBF extension to please their shareholders,
- let 2011 not fool you, Galibier from Briançon is just awful,
- the last two stages and the Tourmalet one are too short for what they are,
- once again horrible stage placement, once again horrible stage placement, once again horrible stage placement, once again...
- ASO and their PdBF needs to die.

I know i've forgotten about many things and i also know it's the dudes on bikes that make the race. I wonder if Prat d'Ablis will have HC besides being barely 1.

Wait a second, this is not complete rubbish. :eek:
I genuinely like the first week which is great as the first week of the tour has been the biggest problem of the last few routes. That said, I'm not a big fan of the mountain stages in the Pyrenees and especially the alps. The Galibier stage probably doesn't have hard enough climbs and the following two days are too short and easy for my liking. Also I fear that many of those climbs have way too low gradients to challange the sky train. All in all decent route and imo clearly better than in previous years

railxmig said:
+ Val Thorens with a harder bottom on D96 and a higher finish than i've expected. I'm not sure, where they want to finish though if it's above 2360m,

DqVkIwcWkAAv3xl.jpg

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1055359814245797888

TRENDING THREADS