• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2019 Tour de France

Rank the Tour

Votes: 3 2.3%

Votes: 14 10.9%

Votes: 45 35.2%

Votes: 29 22.7%

Votes: 18 14.1%

Votes: 8 6.3%

Votes: 5 3.9%

Votes: 3 2.3%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can't believe no one has started this one yet. Despite the stage cancellations/shortenings, I thought it was a really good tour.

We had surprises in the sprint stages, unpredictable results, weird happenings, and dramatic moments. If you'd have told me going in that Ineos would finish 1-2, I'd have assumed the Tour sucked but it didn't. Doesn't hurt that I pretty much like all of the jersey winners. Ok, I would have preferred a battle for the green jersey, but overall I thought it was a really, really good Tour and the fact that there were still 6 guys who could win with only a few days left was a very pleasant surprise.

Really open GC race right up to the last couple of stages. Going into Stage 20 there were 5 people realistically fighting for the podium.
Another couple had the route not been shortened (long range do or die attack from Landa or Uran)

France got lots of home town heroics.
No out and out dominant sprinter, lots of close sprint that kept the interest up as best they can. (You could argue Ewan was dominant, but nothing like the Cavendish high performance years)

Downsides:
The weather intervening in the alps.
Sagan grabbing Green again - this competition isn't one as long as he finishes the race each year, just so consistent. I doubt there is the need to change things up, nor the desire to.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
happytramp said:
Excellent overall. Loses a couple of points for not getting to see Pinot and Bernal go head to head to see who was the strongest in the race.

I don't understand this comment? We did see that Pinot was quite a bit stronger than Bernal.

We saw the opening salvo's but were robbed of seeing the final battle in the alps. Absolutely no way of knowing how it would have unfolded. I'd love to it be the two of them in contention next year.

6. The buildup was excellent but the finale was anticlimatic. The last stage was simply horrible and the penultimate one was cut short. If the 2 last full stages and Pinot were there, then it would be 8-10
Similar to Game of thrones and Arya killing the Night king in one shot

Amazing first two weeks and a crappy race in the Alps. Even without the weather conditions I think the Alps were destined to underwhelm because of the route design. The Iseran is a beast but they should find a way to use it as the last climb either with a summit finish or a descent to Val d'Isere. The Galibier provided some excitement but it was still the easier side climbed. It's disappointing with the Granon and La Plagne in the same vicinity. Val Thorens shouldn't ever be the final climb of the TdF.

Gave it a seven. Seems the best that can be hoped for from the Tour at the moment is some good side stories while we wait for Brailsford's team to win and this one had some pretty good side stories: Alaphilippe obv; the Movistar infighting comedy; the drama of the route changes; Sagan dropping the f-bomb in a *pre-recorded ffs* eurosport segment; Jumbo being really good; the tears of Pinot; the relative weakness of the Ineos dom's compared to Gaudu, de Plus, pre-crash-Bennett, Amador & Soler.

On the down side: a far-from-spectacular GC race among the favourites; the overall level of the competition felt pretty weak and surely quite a few riders will look back and think that was their chance if only they'd had a few extra % in their legs; the (widely anticipated) arrival of Bernal was something of a damp squib because we didn't really get to see his level tested; Ineos still won fairly easily despite being their relative weakness and not having a clue what to do about Alaphilippe (mainly because Jumbo decided so early that third place was their target); obviously the injury to Pinot which took out the main aggressor of the race; and obviously the weather conditions on the last Friday and Saturday.

tobydawq said:
happytramp said:
Excellent overall. Loses a couple of points for not getting to see Pinot and Bernal go head to head to see who was the strongest in the race.

I don't understand this comment? We did see that Pinot was quite a bit stronger than Bernal.

Totally agree, dropped him more than once.

I'll give it a 6. It was an 8 until the last 2 mountain stages and the controversial time taken point that gave us an awarded winner that never even podiumed an individual stage :(.

Nibali winning saved it for me :).

Carols said:
tobydawq said:
happytramp said:

Yeah, that's why Pinot was ahead of Bernal before he dropped out. Oh wait, he wasn't. And he had been dropped more than once himself

jaylew said:
Carols said:
tobydawq said:
happytramp said:

Yeah, that's why Pinot was ahead of Bernal before he dropped out. Oh wait, he wasn't. And he had been dropped more than once himself

We've had this discussion already. Just agree to disagree :).

jaylew said:
Carols said:
tobydawq said:
happytramp said:

What are you on about? Pinot lost his time in the cross-winds, while he out-classed Bernal on the Planche des Belles Filles, the stage to Saint-Étienne, the ITT, the Tourmalet and most devastatingly on the Prat d'Albis. On the Galibier stage he was already injured, so I would think that he would not have been dropped by Bernal if that hadn't been the case.

tobydawq said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
tobydawq said:
happytramp said:

What are you on about? Pinot lost his time in the cross-winds, while he out-classed Bernal on the Planche des Belles Filles, the stage to Saint-Étienne, the ITT, the Tourmalet and most devastatingly on the Prat d'Albis. On the Galibier stage he was already injured, so I would think that he would not have been dropped by Bernal if that hadn't been the case.

This.

8. Really good until the last friday, after that a real anticlimax. Pinot abandoning influenced that much more than weather-caused shortenings and neutralisations. Don't know if he would have been strong enough to beat Bernal in the Alps, but his presence would have changed the race significantly. In the end, it was the only considerable downside in an otherwise unpredictable and suspenseful race.

tobydawq said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
tobydawq said:
happytramp said:

Uh, the truth. Black and white numbers, not speculation. Bernal, not Pinot was ahead. He had just dropped him on the previous stage, was obviously on the rise, and to act like the crosswind stage is meaningless is ridiculous. You need to be strong and smart on all kinds of stages. Bernal has shown several times he's one of the best GC guys in the winds and that is an asset which he can use just like any other. Everyone knew what was happening. Pinot simply wasn't good enough that day - he doesn't get a pass for that.

If the final 2 mountain stages could have been done properly I could have voted this high. But this way I think 5 or 6 is the most I could vote for. (Voted 5 but realizing now that it can be 6 as well)
Planche des Belles Filles was awful, so were Tourmalet and Val Thorens. Prat d'Albis was good, so was Valloire. Iseran stage while being good could have been a classic but the nature didn't allow it. I liked the stage to Saint Etienne and the echelon stage but we also had our share of awful stages.

Jul 27, 2019
Visit site
It was quite good Tour, but I give it 6. For me the Alps were little bit boring and too much about droping Alaphilippe. If Pinot didn't crash I probably give it 8, because Pinot vs Ineos could be absolutly great. However better Tour than most Tours in recent years. But after first 2 weeks I was really excited and after Alpine stages I was little bit disapinted.

Carols said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
tobydawq said:
happytramp said:

We've had this discussion already. Just agree to disagree :).
Yes we have but you continue to post the same meaningless (due to stage 19) podium statistic over and over in multiple threads. I do get it as I definitely have Sky/Ineos fatigue as well but Bernal did just what we want from our GC riders on that stage and hopefully he'll continue to be an exciting racer who's enjoyable to watch despite whatever ideas we may have about his team.

4/10 - Easily the best Tour since 2014!

Good:
The race wasn't decided yet after two weeks! Alaphilippe brought an unexpected level of excitement, making the impossible almost seem possible. Ineos allowed Bernal to win rather than dull Thomas.

Bad:
The third week was ruined by the extreme weather and by Pinot's abandonment. Other GC teams did nothing to make it hard for Ineos and once again rode conservatively for the secondary prizes.

Best stage wins:
1. De Gendt
2. Alaphilippe
3. Quintana
4. Van Aert
5. Pinot

Funniest moments:
1. Viviani's face after being beaten by a crosser.
2. Alaphilippe's impressions of Voeckler.
3. Uran attacking in the descent, refusing to believe that the stage was neutralized.

TRENDING THREADS