• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate The 2021 Tour De France Parcours!

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What Do You Rate The TDF 2021 Course Out Of 10?

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 12 10.9%

Votes: 21 19.1%

Votes: 22 20.0%

Votes: 22 20.0%

Votes: 16 14.5%

Votes: 9 8.2%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 1 or 0 (Vino/Red Rick/Libertine Seguros Option)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
I would also love to see Chamrousse via Col Luitel and Plateau des Saix for HC MTFs, and for a hard climb-easy climb doublette, Col du Coq followed by an MTF at the Station de Ski Sarcenas on the Col de Porte; Auron after Col de la Lombarde or Col de la Bonette; or Val d'Azun (Couraduque) after Aubisque.
Chamrousse via Col Luitel and then a shorter hill before a downhill finish in Grenoble would be pretty high on my list.
Give me something like this after a +200km stage with a big MTF as stage 15 (for example) and I'm happy:
https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/view/594830
If we're talking about a steep MTF in the Alpes Plateu des Saix/the Samoens 1600 Ski station would be nice, steep climb with the steepest kms during the first half of the climb:
Saix.gif

A Col de Saisies MTF after Bisanne would also be nice, if it comes the day after a Plateau des Saix or le Bettex stage you could use the Mont Blanc tunnel and start the stage in Courmayer. That would mean a short stage with Colle San Carlo-Petit Saint Bernand-Roselend-Bisanne-Col de Saise, a short stage with pretty much nothing but ascents and descents: https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/viewTour/721630

To sum things up, there's tons of great stuff that ASO could actually use in the Alpes without paving new climbs.

To sum things up, there's tons of great stuff that ASO could actually use in the Alpes without paving new climbs.
This is a pretty accurate summary of this discussion. Even without using completely new climbs, using the smallest ski stations you can find in the Alps and Pyrenees or designing crazy hard stages, there are still many options within the current regime/practice of ASO. They just need to focus more on designing mountain stages for something more than action on the last 5k, and doing something more original than stages like the Tignes and Luz Ardiden stages this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Given that the Pyrenees has less roads to climb, why not skip them entirely some years, and keep climbs fresh (or fresher)?

I know that's going against tradition, but there are other mountain ranges in France.
They did that in '92 when they started in San Sebastian. They actually ended up having some great stages in the medium-mountains that year, not to mention Chiappucci's epic escape to Sestrieres, and a decent green jersey battle between Jalabert and Museeuw to boot. And tbf, even after his win in '91, nobody could reasonably have predicted that Indurain could be quite so utterly dominant as he was in the TTs that year.

Last edited:
Col du granon via saint chaffrey 11.5 km at 9.3%, 2400 m of altitude.
The sequence portillon,peyresourde, val azet ans finish on pla d'adet 9.8 km at 8.8%.
Some interesting stuff that could work on le tour.
That's a very similar Pyrenean stage to the 2005 one. That was the stage Hincapie won.

I'd love to see the Col du Granon used again. It's a monster.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS