• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Rate the 2022 Tour de France route

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the TDF route

Votes: 5 5.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 7 6.9%

Votes: 24 23.8%

Votes: 16 15.8%

Votes: 24 23.8%

Votes: 11 10.9%

Votes: 5 5.0%

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters
In the list of the hardest GT stages ever posted here a couple of days ago there was Pamplona '96 that had more than 100 kms of flat or almost flat after Larrau and still is one of the bigger carnage i've ever seen.

Depends upon how it is raced. The Pau stage in 1986 had the Marie Blanque as the hardest climb. Yet, because they raced the entire day, it was carnage. Lemond gained more than 40 seconds with an attack on an uncategorized climb near the end, but still came in about 5 minutes behind Hinault and Delgado

If the stage is very, very hard it doesn't really matter where you put the flat, in front, in the middle or in the back. Your legs won't tolerate flat regardless!!!!

Depending if you have helpers or not. If a race has already exploded, a peleton is decimated and riders have to work on their own then flat sections can be as difficult (and gap-producing) as climbs. It's not a coincidence that Bernal exploded at the start of Covadonga - the flat section killed him.

So on the big bridge before Nyborg, I'm seeing on google street view the barriers on the edges are suuuper low and normally the right most lane just isn't used?

Isn't that gonna be a problem where crashes will have a very high likelyhood of riders just being thrown into the sea?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
So on the big bridge before Nyborg, I'm seeing on google street view the barriers on the edges are suuuper low and normally the right most lane just isn't used?

Isn't that gonna be a problem where crashes will have a very high likelyhood of riders just being thrown into the sea?

Well, isn't the first week all about the spectacle, anyway?

At the top of the bridge, there is 70 metres to the sea, so I would hope that's not a real risk!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Looking closely at the route I have one comment related to the route that I did not notice initially:

- There are actually 3 mass sprints stages and 2 reduced sprint stages. That makes it only 5 sprint stages. This means that it is either GC oriented or Classicomano oriented. Hopefully, I am reading the profiles correctly.

So even if we consider the mountain stages not as good in design, the hardness will be provided by the classic riders. This might make the race very competitive. From that point of view it is actually very good from the organization side.

If QS was thinking about bringing 2 sprinters they better think it twice because they will miss many opportunities. They will be better off bringing their Classic A team.

TRENDING THREADS