• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia

Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia from

• Total voters
I flirted with the idea of using the @Netserk rating system and give it a 1 but there were some positive aspects that I can't overlook.

- The Fossombrone stage I watched in person was of great entertainment
- All the TTs (Lussari in particular)
- Some breakout riders like Gee and Zana
- Ben Healy, who might become my favorite rider going forward
- Some majestic landscapes like the Dolomites, Campo Imperatore, the Costiera Amalfitana, etc

So I'll give it a 3 and won't delve deeper into all the negative sides we already discussed in the other thread.

I voted for the 10, even though it's not allowed.

I follow cycling for the drama & human factor. In that respect, I got more than I could ever dream of. It's not realistic to concoct a scenario in which a rider is going to win, then lose & then win again, all in the span of 2 km's before & after a chain drop.

But that's what happened on Saturday in the ITT when Rog was overturning the GC deficit, then the dropped chain meant he was going to lose, but then he won anyway.

I've never seen that before in all my time watching GT's.

Voted 3 and after looking back at the rating threads of some horrible gt's in the past I think that's about right. I gave the 2016 Tour a 2 and the 2017 Tour a 4 and I think this one being right in between feels about right. Maybe the worst racing between the gc guys I have ever seen in any gt but then at least it had a super dramatic ending and fwiw I actually think the breakaway action in this race was above average.

I thought of giving it a 2 because of the scenery..but then i realized that i have seen Italy so many times as it is the old country...so gave it a 1 as 0 wasn't available. I do not like the way my beloved II Giro is going. It is going to be worst than la vuela.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
The thing I'll remember most about this race was riders refusing to go over a climb that was a) dry and b) partly through a tunnel anyway
Even more weirdly is that wasn’t the climb they were refusing to do—they were claiming the descent from Croix de Coeur wasn’t safe and were going to boycott. Pretty bizarre then, that they accepted riding it (which poked holes in their safety argument) when the organization offering deleting San Bernardino.

I voted for the 10, even though it's not allowed.

I follow cycling for the drama & human factor. In that respect, I got more than I could ever dream of. It's not realistic to concoct a scenario in which a rider is going to win, then lose & then win again, all in the span of 2 km's before & after a chain drop.

But that's what happened on Saturday in the ITT when Rog was overturning the GC deficit, then the dropped chain meant he was going to lose, but then he won anyway.

I've never seen that before in all my time watching GT's.
We're rating the whole Giro not stage 20

Gave it a 9 because a worthy and great rider won it. Riders with a lot of grit on the podium, who pushed through bad weather and crashes.

Pretenders ended up abandoning early. They need to get tougher. The race is three weeks and you need to be able to push through with a little bit of sickness and a few scratches. Will be very hard to win many if you cant do that.

There was some nice moments like Pinot having a great race. Cav winning the last stage. Derek Gee amazing on almost every stage. Milan bobbing his head in every sprint. I enjoyed it.

I'll give it a 4 for the race. Pretty crap weather to start with which probably didn't give the riders too much enthusiasm to race for the first week or so. It got a little better towards the end.
An extra 2 for Remco having to leave the race, which in turn, saved me reading an extra 45 pages for each stage.
An extra 2 for the moaning about this race throughout. Quite laughable some of the comments and brightened my day up.

Total 6

I do wonder what it would take for certain posters to rate a GT 4/10 or lower.

'Yeah, a nuclear explosion wiped out all the riders, but I'd never seen that before in all my time watching GT's and Roglic was in the lead when it happened, so 9/10'
Tbh I don't even think Pinot doing well is a requirement for @Tonton to give the race an 8/10. I think Tibo nearly died during the 2020 Tour and Tonton rated that like a 7/10 minimum IIRC

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS