• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the riders

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hitch you saw Gorka Izagirre in the Tour?

In some other race (can't remember when and where) he and Sammy were on duo attack and Gorka outdecended him. And not a little bit. That guy is seriously the best descender in the peloton by a mile.

I agree with the stats now. Valverde is still the better sprinter in my opinion as well but it would be close. While Gilbert is quite the descender he is not really one of the absolute best in my opinion.

For example in Milan-Sanremo this year during the descent of the poggio he was always behind in the group chasing GVA. (But this might be nothing.)

Arnout said:
Hitch you saw Gorka Izagirre in the Tour?

In some other race (can't remember when and where) he and Sammy were on duo attack and Gorka outdecended him. And not a little bit. That guy is seriously the best descender in the peloton by a mile.

That would be Paris Nice. Samu really sucked there. But Euskaltel still suck at bike handling, even if 1 or 2 are quite good at it.

Kwibus said:
Nice list, ofcourse I don't agree on everything but nothing special.
Except that you don't mention Gilbert @ descending while he's shown plenty of times that he's atleast 1 of the best(if not best?) descenders in the current peloton.

You are right. Gilbert is a great descender.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I would also include Gilbert in bike handling skills. For starters, he only crashed once this year at the GP Montreal. And I once saw Gilbert riding down a steep set of stairs with his time trial bike while only using one hand.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I hope you realize that was a sprint after Gilbert killed him self trying to still win the race on Saint-Nicholas, humiliating Valverde in the process. The funny thing is, you'll never see Valverde doing work on the front. He's just sucking Cadel's wheel in the hope that the latter reels Gilbert back in.

Yeah, Valverde is faster on the flat sprints, but that vid doesn't prove anything.

i agree actually from the 3 gilbert really tried, valverde sucked some wheel that day.

samu i feel is an overrated descender.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
i agree actually from the 3 gilbert really tried, valverde sucked some wheel that day.

samu i feel is an overrated descender.

I agree. Samu hasn't really impressed me with his descending skills over the last 2 years. It could also be that I expect too much of him since the Hitch is always preaching that Samu is one of the best descenders :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Samu used to be 82 Descending and 67 Sprint I'd say, but now it's more like 77 & 52.

Yeah, as he grew older his sprint seems to have diminished as has his descending skills.

His climbing seems to be as good as ever though, if not better.

Samu used to be a great descender, but he fell once or twice in 2007/8 and also mentioned that he is a bit more cautious since he has kids. So his descending is a bit overrated maybe but I feel most of his other assets are underrated by the media, so its fine really.

Arnout said:
Samu used to be a great descender, but he fell once or twice in 2007/8 and also mentioned that he is a bit more cautious since he has kids. So his descending is a bit overrated maybe but I feel most of his other assets are underrated by the media, so its fine really.

I think a guy called Liggett once said that Sanchez was a poor descender.
The Hitch will probably quote it for me :)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Rebellin 81 hills? very very generous Hitchie, wouldn't go above 75 tbh.

yeah but rebellin uses the training camp ;)

El Pistolero said:
Yeah, as he grew older his sprint seems to have diminished as has his descending skills.

His climbing seems to be as good as ever though, if not better.

yeah, this is basically it.

Arnout said:
also mentioned that he is a bit more cautious since he has kids. .

Samus eldest is 10 years old.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yeah but rebellin uses the training camp ;)

lol

Kwibus said:
I think a guy called Liggett once said that Sanchez was a poor descender.
The Hitch will probably quote it for me :)
It was one of those stupid Ligget quotes where he showed he doesnt know any riders outside Hincapie, Cavendish, Lance, Andy Schleck, Evans and Contador.

he said that Samu is coming over the mountain but that since hes a poor descender he will probably fall back to the group behind. Sherwen immediately corrected him.

Kwibus said:
I agree. Samu hasn't really impressed me with his descending skills over the last 2 years. It could also be that I expect too much of him since the Hitch is always preaching that Samu is one of the best descenders :)

No im not. I preach about his climbing skills and tt skills (the latter of which some swear is the same as Joaquim Rodriguez) but I rarely talk about his descending skills.