• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the Vuelta 2018 route

How do you rate the route of the 2018 Vuelta?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 6.1%

Votes: 6 9.1%

Votes: 16 24.2%

Votes: 11 16.7%

Votes: 9 13.6%

Votes: 6 9.1%

Votes: 7 10.6%

Votes: 2 3.0%

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
Stage 1 (prologue)
PROFIL.png

Stage 2
PROFIL.png

Stage 3
PROFIL.png

Stage 4
PROFIL.png

Stage 5
PROFIL.png

Stage 6
PROFIL.png

Stage 7
PROFIL.png

Stage 8
PROFIL.png

Stage 9
PROFIL.png

REST DAY

Stage 10
PROFIL.png

Stage 11
PROFIL.png

Hmm, I dno. Its fine I guess, I didn't expect much more than this. I like the stage to Gallina, Monte Oiz and Les Praeres and there are a few interesting hilly/puncheur friendly finishes as well that looks nice. Overall pretty average, like the other GTs this year, but as long as its just average and not plain bad, Im not really too concerned.

Lets say 5

Re:

Singer01 said:
i like it, it could do with another tt or a longer tt to balance out the MTF's. I can't imagine too many sprinters will be attending though.
I actually think balancing is the only thing that's done somewhat decently. Most of these climbs are gonna cause small differences if at all.

And this is the most sprinter friendly Vuelta in a very long time. I count 8 opportunities for the durable sprinters.

I do think the route is perfect for Dumoulin

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
i like it, it could do with another tt or a longer tt to balance out the MTF's. I can't imagine too many sprinters will be attending though.
I actually think balancing is the only thing that's done somewhat decently. Most of these climbs are gonna cause small differences if at all.

And this is the most sprinter friendly Vuelta in a very long time. I count 8 opportunities for the durable sprinters.

I do think the route is perfect for Dumoulin
It surely is, but its still very good for climbers

5 sprinter stages, that one or two too many for the Vuelta. :p

The andorra stage pushes this to 6+ from me overall. The lack of real mountain stages (aside of the 20th one ofc) is kinda disturbing, but hey, it's Vuelta, don't tell me you were expecting to get some Giau/Fedaia/Val di Fassa level combinations here. Wish there were more ITT kms, otherwise a typical LV route, especially that 1st week. Both Big Tom and Valverde should be happy about this.

This is pretty abysmal. It has Unipuerto all over it. Having a super short mountain stage as the last chance for the climbers to do everything has worked very well in the past, but even that is half-arsed, in my opinion, because they won't be coming from one or two harder mountain stages before and because, well, they're still using the hardest climb as the MTF. The time trial appears to be flat enough, but 33 km is not nearly enough.

Dunno, a 3?

Same thing every year
Route (of any GT) comes out ...same old moaners on here go on and on about how its dreadful, etc

I like it...Its different from Tour and Giro- whic i wnat and it can provide some great racing and not be stifled by SKY
This is a Valverde, Dumoulin , Chaves route ... I think it could be a great showdown

So stop the pathetic and pointless moaning

I for one dont want several MTN stages with a SKY train dominating it
We usually have that at the Tour

I can't give an 8 to this design. I don't mind back-loading, as long as the first two weeks set the stage, and I don't see it here. The lack of ITT in GTs is starting to bother me: it should be the exception, but it's becoming the rule. Stage 20 looks great though. Good for Dumoulin? Yep.

I give it a 6.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Same thing every year
Route (of any GT) comes out ...same old moaners on here go on and on about how its dreadful, etc
Perhaps because the routes are roughly the same year after year, so naturally they're roughly equally dreadful?

Many Giro routes of this decade have been praised by those "old moaners". Maybe you simply have no standards?

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Same thing every year

I like it...Its different from Tour and Giro- whic i wnat and it can provide some great racing and not be stifled by SKY
This is a Valverde, Dumoulin , Chaves route ... I think it could be a great showdown

So stop the pathetic and pointless moaning

I for one dont want several MTN stages with a SKY train dominating it
We usually have that at the Tour
Quit your pathetic moaning, unless you can quote the same people moaning over last year's route.

TRENDING THREADS