• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Really? No Baseball Thread?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Little trivia: Assume the Royals win the WS (I see no reason why they should not with two awesome closers they have); When was the last time a WS champ hit less than 100 HRS in the regular season. And which team was the last to win the WS with even less RS HRS than KC this year (who had 95)?

Since no one tried: The 1988 LAD were the last WS winners to hit less than 100 HRS. The year when Gibson hit the famous HR vs OAK in the WS...

Last team to win & hit less HRs than KC were the Cardinals in 1982 hitting just 67 homers in 162 games.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
One day you win 17-1, the next you lose 6-14, then suffer trou a 17 inning 1-0 battle... Good old Baseball. :)

Good. Basically that´s how the series went. Exchange of blow-outs and close game in between...

Tonight I expect a close game number 7.

Who´s going to watch? I´ll try... :)

I expect the battle of the best: That includes Baumgarner for SF with some innings, Davis & Holland the deadliy closers for KC of course... Go Royals.

I'm a west coast guy, and have always liked the Giants at least some, but I have to admit I'm sort of hoping the Royals win, as it's just a great story.

I won't be at all surprised if we see Bumbgarner out of the bullpen, likely pitching two innings of relief between 5-9. The only way he doesn't pitch is if the game is a blowout, and I don't see that happening. A bigger gamble for the Giants may be if there is scoring early, if Lincecum pitches. At one point he was the best pitcher in baseball, and the one WS game he was in he threw great, but who knows how he'll do in a clutch position?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hope I dont mess up with the time like past NFL Sunday.... :eek:

May someone can tell me when the game starts by "cycnews" time (GMT+1)?
Now its 20.08 "cycnews" time. Thanks in advance. :)

BTW, I see a thriller like between Morris & Smoltz in 1991 coming up. :) (only that we see more lights-out relief pitchers, but still a 1-0 after 9+ innings)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Hope I dont mess up with the time like past NFL Sunday.... :eek:

May someone can tell me when the game starts by "cycnews" time (GMT+1)?
Now its 20.08 "cycnews" time. Thanks in advance. :)

BTW, I see a thriller like between Morris & Smoltz in 1991 coming up. :) (only that we see more lights-out relief pitchers, but still a 1-0 after 9+ innings)

First pitch 1:07 our time.

I'll be watching and rooting for the Royals!

First time I am Watching a match of baseball sine my year abroad in the US. I should so that more often, as I really liked it back than.

But the ****ing commercials! I am wondering if it was that bad 8 years ago... but I guess it was.

Is there a team to like? Right now I am for the team thats trailing.

Oh and I've already seen one of those hatefull election commercial. I love those, they make it seem good here. :)

This Baumgartner guy seems to be quite good.

Amazing, just amazing. Somewhere Sandy Koufax is smiling. Bob Feller, Mickey Lolich and Randy Johnson too. But I'm not even sure those guys all pitching on short rest match what Bumgarner did last night. I question we'll see anything like this ever again in our lifetimes.

Of note, I listened to the game on the radio. Well worth it, and seemingly less ads, or easier to ignore ads I guess. Baseball on the radio is magic.

I too was kind of hoping the Royals would win, but it shows just how great the Giants are, and they do deserve to be called a dynasty.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm a west coast guy, and have always liked the Giants at least some, but I have to admit I'm sort of hoping the Royals win, as it's just a great story.

I won't be at all surprised if we see Bumbgarner out of the bullpen, likely pitching two innings of relief between 5-9. The only way he doesn't pitch is if the game is a blowout, and I don't see that happening. A bigger gamble for the Giants may be if there is scoring early, if Lincecum pitches. At one point he was the best pitcher in baseball, and the one WS game he was in he threw great, but who knows how he'll do in a clutch position?

Excellent forsight! Who knew we'd be seeing an amazing piece of baseball/sporting history. The guy was on cool, collected autopilot. Hard to imagine the level of concentration necessary to pull that off.
I've been a SF fan since they got Lincecum. His family grew up in our 'hood and his uncle and I used to practice pitching as kids. That high overhand style was one we used because we were short....

Ha! No foresight at all. I think just about every pundit knew he'd pitch, unless the game was a quick blowout. The only question was how long he'd pitch. Several sports talk people were saying he should start, but I think in the end Bochi made the right call bringing him out of the pen like that. I just don't think anyone knew he'd last that long, and pitch that well for that long. It's just astounding.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Of note, I listened to the game on the radio. Well worth it, and seemingly less ads, or easier to ignore ads I guess. Baseball on the radio is magic.

Perfect. :) You started to listen to radio when I switched from it to live footage.

Edit: All Baseball predictions of mine were good, but not the team winning it. Remember guys: When I start rooting for a team (no matter Olympic hockey, NFL, NHL, MLB, or AFL), that one certainly will not win. Sorry to all the Royals fans: You were in the middle of my curse. :eek:

Incomplete list of victims the past couple of years:
Russia hockey team
Detroit Red Wings
NE Patriots
Denver Broncos
SF 49ers
NO Saints
KC Royals
Sydney Swans
Fremantle Dockers
... and more

Sherzer was light's out fantastic...with zip support. 0-1with a 0.00 ERA. Lester had the same problem in Chicago. Best story may be Sonny Gray for Oakland pitching a 1 hitter through eight. Price was super for Tigers. Tanaka just hammered for the Yanks. Bosox fans worried about Pedroia, missing much of pre-season, but he was terrific yesterday. Also great pitching from Buckholz.

One day of course doesn't mean much in a 162 game season. I still like Washington's chances. Sherzer may be icing on the cake they needed. Hard to tell this many months out though. Seattle looks like an improved team. Cano must have been doing backflips after they picked up Cruz from the O's.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Sherzer was light's out fantastic...with zip support. 0-1with a 0.00 ERA. Lester had the same problem in Chicago. Best story may be Sonny Gray for Oakland pitching a 1 hitter through eight. Price was super for Tigers. Tanaka just hammered for the Yanks. Bosox fans worried about Pedroia, missing much of pre-season, but he was terrific yesterday. Also great pitching from Buckholz.

One day of course doesn't mean much in a 162 game season. I still like Washington's chances. Sherzer may be icing on the cake they needed. Hard to tell this many months out though. Seattle looks like an improved team. Cano must have been doing backflips after they picked up Cruz from the O's.

Did A-Rod the doper play? That's the 'best' story...

Tigers off to an even better start (or Twins worse?!)

Arod did play one game so far. 3 at bats. One single, one walk. Playing DH. I expect him to play about 120 games this year, nearly all at DH or pinch hitting, very little fielding. He may be old, and doped much less, but he's still a driven individual and I think he'll play decent this year, if insanely overpaid. Though he could get hurt.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Nats on a seven game losing streak, no runs, few hits, many errors.....the rookie pitcher who got called up yesterday because Scherzer has an injured thumb, gives up nine runs in the first two innings and gets pulled, Nats behind 9-1. The rest was the stuff that legends are made of. Just check the box score. Nats went into the 9th trailing 12-10. Dan Uggla, the highest paid player on the Braves payroll, then hits a three run shot, and Storen saves for the most unbelievable turnaround that I have ever seen. No Nats ream has ever come from an eight run deficit. And I was watching!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/ugglas-3-run-homer-helps-nationals-complete-biggest-rally/2015/04/28/f6ffc5ae-ee1a-11e4-8050-839e9234b303_story.html

I wasn't even aware of it. Crazy! There is no way both Strasbourg and Zimmerman will continue to get hit the way they are. Both 1-2 with era over 5. At some point the Nats ship is going to head into the right direction and keep moving that way.

Surprised Kershaw isn't pitching great either. He's 1-2 as well. Though his era is about 3.2, which is still good.

Surprised to see both the Yankees and Mets in first place. I hate to say this to their fans, but I don't see either ending up there at season's end.

Nice to see KC playing well, after everyone just wrote them off after losing some key players.

Bummed the A's and Giants aren't playing better. Though Lincecum threw very well the other night.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Th Nats couldn't buy a hit, much less a run, till the day before yesterday - dozens of RISPs stranded. Now, they're scored 26 runs in two consecutive games! I think that every RISP made it home last night - unbelievabel. Correct Alpe, Zimmerman was his old self again last night, while Strasburg can redeem himself tonight against the division leading Mets.

Yes, that's correct - the division leading Mets!

TRENDING THREADS