• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Really? No Baseball Thread?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
You don't have to be a baseball fan to appreciate the awesomeness of what this 22 year old kid has done. Today, he hit a walk off two run shot to make it 6 HRs and 12 RBIs in three consecutive games. Unbelievable.

Re:

Amsterhammer said:
You don't have to be a baseball fan to appreciate the awesomeness of what this 22 year old kid has done. Today, he hit a walk off two run shot to make it 6 HRs and 12 RBIs in three consecutive games. Unbelievable.

Those aren't clown numbers, bro. If he can avoid the stupid injuries that kept him out of so many games the past two seasons, he might finally realize his full potential this year. Top 5 in OPS now and close to that in wRC+. Baseball Reference has him top 10 in WAR, Fangraphs somewhat lower, they don't like his defense. Still early but looking like an MVP contender.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm drained. I lived every one of those last 2o pitches or so.

Like most people, I had never seen a no hitter till Jordan Zimmerman's on the last day of last season. I have not missed a pitch of Mighty Max Scherzer's in recent weeks, because he has been utterly lights out. Ok, everyone knows that he's good, real good, but his last two games in particular, culminating in today's no hitter, have been off the charts beyond belief. Tonight should have been a perfect game. The third (pinch) hitter in the 9th positively leaned into the pitch that grazed his elbow. What an utter qwunt of a man to 'steal' a perfect game from Scherzer.

Max has retired 54 of the last 57 batters faced. He has allowed one hit in his last 18 innings, no runs, 1 BB, 26 k's. This is the first time since 1944 that any pitcher has allowed only one hit in back to back complete games. He leads baseball with a 1.76 ERA, and with 123 strike outs.

Cy Young, maybe?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
What an utter qwunt of a man to 'steal' a perfect game from Scherzer.

What is a "qwunt"? :confused:
Ok, it´s Amsterkacker. Wishing death to forum members, and jerking off when Thatcher died. Things not to his liking will be shit on. Literally. That is no news.

But for the interested in the sport down to earth guys: This "qwunt" how he calls him (I am pretty certain he wanted to write "cunt", but just shy away. Correct me if not true), is a successful MLB veteran playing for 6 years and hitting .276 over all those years. Btw, his name is José Tabata.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Amsterhammer said:
What an utter qwunt of a man to 'steal' a perfect game from Scherzer.

What is a "qwunt"? :confused:
Ok, it´s Amsterkacker. Wishing death to forum members, and jerking off when Thatcher died. Things not to his liking will be shit on. Literally. That is no news.

But for the interested in the sport down to earth guys: This "qwunt" how he calls him (I am pretty certain he wanted to write "cunt", but just shy away. Correct me if not true), is a successful MLB veteran playing for 6 years and hitting .276 over all those years. Btw, his name is José Tabata.

You are on your way to another ban.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
How? You can call me Scheißkerl, Nazi, Racist, bigot, xenophob, and worse, without even the slightest warning in various posts and PMs, with zero consequences. So stop crying and man up. I guess I get the same rights as you... The place got into wild west... Just ask BigMac (no not the QB, the user)...

BigMac said:
... just give examples as he asks you to. You either keep up or, as sittingbison would say, stop carrying on like pork chops.

All I see is Foxxy being fired insults at from every direction, but I'm not surprised, as for some time now that seems to be allowed.

So back on topic. What is a "qwunt" Baseball player doing his job? Why you shy away from answering? Rhetorical, because I hit the nail with what you meant.
Let me tell you: José Tabata has more talent, more manners, and more respect than you ever had or will. The fact he was hit by a pitch doesn´t change that a bit. Hater!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
How? You can call me Scheißkerl, Nazi, Racist, bigot, xenophob, and worse, without even the slightest warning in various posts and PMs, with zero consequences. So stop crying and man up. I guess I get the same rights as you... The place got into wild west... Just ask BigMac (no not the QB, the user)...

BigMac said:
... just give examples as he asks you to. You either keep up or, as sittingbison would say, stop carrying on like pork chops.

All I see is Foxxy being fired insults at from every direction, but I'm not surprised, as for some time now that seems to be allowed.

So back on topic. What is a "qwunt" Baseball player doing his job? Why you shy away from answering? Rhetorical, because I hit the nail with what you meant.
Let me tell you: José Tabata has more talent, more manners, and more respect than you ever had or will. The fact he was hit by a pitch doesn´t change that a bit. Hater!

The butt hurt is strong in this one, just like his guilty conscience. YOU went completely off topic here. I do not recall ever sending you a PM. If I did, it was many years ago, and completely unrelated to recent events. Now you are just outright lying. I also don't recall ever calling you a Scheisskerl. If you have proof, post it and I will apologize. If you have no proof, you are simply lying again.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I have the PMs screenshoted. But I will not break forum rules like others did, and injure your privacy by laying them in the open... Btw, you have short memories, since it´s not even a half year ago when you sent them... And your insulting posts are in the open... So the liar are you. And you know it... Further; I don´t need any apologize from you. Because I wouldn´t accept it anyway. It would be half-hearted. Cheap talk, nothing more... So spare your time.

Now back on Baseball topic: What is a "qwunt" Baseball player. If you can´t come up with an explanation, I must think I guessed right. I looked at various dictonaries. Not even the "urban dictonary" had the word "qwunt"... So man up and admit.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:

Like most people, I had never seen a no hitter till Jordan Zimmerman's on the last day of last season. I have not missed a pitch of Mighty Max Scherzer's in recent weeks, because he has been utterly lights out. Ok, everyone knows that he's good, real good, but his last two games in particular, culminating in today's no hitter, have been off the charts beyond belief. Tonight should have been a perfect game. The third (pinch) hitter in the 9th positively leaned into the pitch that grazed his elbow. What an utter qwunt of a man to 'steal' a perfect game from Scherzer.

Max has retired 54 of the last 57 batters faced. He has allowed one hit in his last 18 innings, no runs, 1 BB, 26 k's. This is the first time since 1944 that any pitcher has allowed only one hit in back to back complete games. He leads baseball with a 1.76 ERA, and with 123 strike outs.

Cy Young, maybe?
It was a great game no doubt.

I disagree about the hit batter. Not totally but with respect to the pitch and also what Tabata done. The Pitch itself did not comeback enough and that was clear by where the catcher placed his glove at the beginning of the pitch. Tabata had his elbow down into the zone before the pitch and his motion once the pitch did not come back into the zone was him trying to get hit. That happens all the time. I feel bad for Scherzer and the perfect game but that is baseball. It happens to much and I am one of the old school guys who say take off all that armor in the batters box. The batter would think twice before doing something like that if he does not have all that armor gear on.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
Amsterhammer said:

Cy Young, maybe?

I disagree about the hit batter. Not totally but with respect to the pitch and also what Tabata done. The Pitch itself did not comeback enough and that was clear by where the catcher placed his glove at the beginning of the pitch. Tabata had his elbow down into the zone before the pitch and his motion once the pitch did not come back into the zone was him trying to get hit. That happens all the time. I feel bad for Scherzer and the perfect game but that is baseball. It happens to much and I am one of the old school guys who say take off all that armor in the batters box. The batter would think twice before doing something like that if he does not have all that armor gear on.

helmets are for pussies :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

patricknd said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Amsterhammer said:

Cy Young, maybe?

helmets are for pussies :D
Well Yeah! I thought that was obvious?

Re:

Amsterhammer said:

Cy Young, maybe?

Definitely... as long as the voters are not fixated on antiquated stats like W-L records. I was at the bar watching the copa america and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the Pirates box score after the fifth. Only a few years ago, Scherzer was one of those frustrating guys who threw 110 pitches in five innings, but he has really harnessed his unhittable stuff and made quick work of the Pirates. I think the HBP was questionable. I have seen umpires refuse to give a base when the batter leans in during college games, but never in the pros. At least he still got a no-hitter, unlike Galarraga who lost his perfect game and no-hitter due to an umpire's incorrect call.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I have seen spirited discussions about this today. I would say that the majority agree with me that he didn't make any effort to avoid getting hit. In the circumstances, the ump didn't HAVE TO award him first base, and Tabata was less than honorable in the given circumstances. If this had been a 1 run game, absolutely, you do whatever it takes to get on base. Taking account of the state of play, and what was at stake, Tabata was well out of order, imho. Here are the relevant rules -

6.08... The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when --

(b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;
If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.

I have to correct the stats I posted. He didn't walk anyone in these last two games.

18 innings pitched, 26 k's, 0 ERs, 0 BB, 1 HBP, 1 hit. No one has pitched consecutive scoreless complete games since 1944. The feat has only been done five times, the other three were before 1944.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
No one has pitched consecutive scoreless complete games since 1944. The feat has only been done five times, the other three were before 1944.

Ofc, if we ignore Don, Fernando and Orel :rolleyes:

But hey, dismiss that as CT, and believe in your pre-1945 stats (that includes "in general things")

For all the others;

Drysdale 1968:
9.0 2 0 0 3 7
9.0 5 0 0 2 6
9.0 5 0 0 0 8
9.0 6 0 0 2 6
9.0 6 0 0 2 7
9.0 3 0 0 0 8
= 6 consecutive CG shutouts

Valenzuela 1981:
9.0 5 0 0 0 10
9.0 7 0 0 3 11
9.0 7 0 0 4 7
= 3 consecutive CG shutouts

Hershiser 1988:
9.0 4 0 0 1 8
9.0 7 0 0 3 8
9.0 6 0 0 2 8
9.0 4 0 0 0 5
9.0 5 0 0 2 2
= 5 consecutive CG shutouts

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Then write "allowing 1 hit or fewer in consecutive CG shutouts", and not "consecutive scoreless complete games". Don´t use your politics thread tactics (twisting words into a different meaning; that is miss-leading readers*) even in a Baseball forum.

* Here it is harmless. In politic forums it is character assasination.

I can understand that sometimes a batter might freeze when the ball is coming at him and take the pitch. But to me, Tabata was looking that pitch in and all of a sudden dropped his elbow into the trajectory of the ball. Definitely a gray area in the rules, but I would also say no HBP. The sound wasn't on for the game, so I didn't understand what the whole chocolate syrup thing was during the celebration.

EDIT, the stat record was clarified.

Not only did the guy not make effort to get out of the way, it looked to me like he leaned into the damn thing. I understand wanting to avoid being on the wrong end of history and watching yourself on highlight reels for years to come as the last out in a perfect game, but c'mon, man.
Do your best to break up the perfect game with a hit. Don't be all bush league about it.
p.s. djpbaltimore: I'm assuming you're an Orioles fan.
Today the Orioles tallied 7 runs against the Jays in front of a full house in the 2nd inning. Pretty much everyone thought the game was over, until the jays scored 6 in the bottom half of the inning, and have added 3 more. What a game.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/C68321B0D01224171287409496064_38a2d4e5c3f.4.1.6370279056239855230.mp4?versionId=GT5VCK_YKz.R.Rh0oHCR4bAhaPvg1nni

All the evidence needed.
I had not seen it like that before. I only watched that live during the ESPN feed that switched over during the 9th inning. Having seen this now I agree with you Tabata looks like he dips his arm down and not away to get hit by the pitch. That could have started a brawl.

I still think these guys need to take the armor off. Even if Patrick makes fun of me again!