• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Really? No Baseball Thread?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Major League Baseball

Finally, the Cubs break through. This is a dream WS matchup in terms of history, though the Cubs are heavy favorites. FanGraphs has them at almost 2:1, which is unusually high for any postseason series. Some of that is because the Cubs really are stacked, and some because Cleveland lost two of it's starters (maybe three if Bauer's little finger doesn't heal). But one of Cleveland's lost starters, Danny Salazar, is now rehabbing, and may be available for at least some relief. While the Cubs' Kyle Schwarber, who went down in the very beginning of the season, is also rehabbing, and might be able to DH.

The Cubs have broken a long drought just getting to the WS, longer than Cleveland's drought in winning one. And even if they don't win the WS, they have a team loaded with young stars which ought be a major contender for years to come. Maybe their GM, Theo Epstein, who ended the Red Sox curse, ought to run for President. He gets things done.

So I'm just a bit torn right now...

Lived in the Cleveland area for a few years back in the early 80s, went to a couple of Indians games. (Coming from Europe and ending up in Cleveland I had no choice but to be an Indians fan.)

And then we've got the Chicago Cubs...

Visited Chicago twice about a decade ago and absolutely loved it! (Never got the chance to go to a Cubs game, though.)

So...

Which team am I supposed to cheer for now?

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Which team am I supposed to cheer for now?

Let me help you, here are six reasons to root for the Cubs:

1) History. Sixty-eight years without winning a WS is small time; Cubs fans were at that point when Jimmy Carter was elected President.

2) The teams. Cubs are the better team: better hitting, better starting pitching, better defense; Cleveland may have a better bullpen, but not by much. The better team doesn’t always win, but when it doesn’t, it’s just another indication of the unfairness of short series.

3) Cleveland’s mascot. It’s stupid—even those reptilian-skinned individuals who don’t find it offensive have to admit it’s ugly, the kind of caricature a ten year old might draw. It’s a symbol Americans thought was cute when the team won its last WS, but long out of date now.

4) The managers. Cleveland’s Terry Francona is a great guy, and probably going to the Hall of Fame. It would be nice to add a WS win in Cleveland to the two he won in Boston, but he probably doesn’t need to. Chicago’s Joe Maddon needs one on his resume.

5) The fans. Cleveland’s fans want you to believe they suffer so much because until the Cavs won the NBA title this year, the city had not won a major pro championship in more than fifty years. What they never point out is that there are more than a dozen cities in America larger than Cleveland that have never, ever won a major sports championship, mainly because to now they don’t even have a major pro sports team, e.g., Austin, TX, Las Vegas, NV, Louisville, KY, Albuquerque, NM, Tucson, AZ, Fresno, CA, Long Beach, CA, Mesa, AZ, Colorado Springs, CO, Virginia Beach, VA, Omaha, NE, Tulsa, OK, Wichita, KS. Cleveland once was one of the largest cities in America, but now it has a population of less than 400,000, making it about the 50th largest city in the country. It’s lucky to have any pro teams, let alone three, that have a chance at a championship.

6) Magic. In Rio this summer, an American man won the 1500 m. in track. Know the last time that happened? 1908.

Terrific game 1 win for the Indians, as the Cubs bats fell asleep. Well, their ability to get runs across the plate at least.

I have a hard time imagining that this trend will continue, as Merckx stated, the Cubs have more talent across the board. I still think Cleveland was fortunate that Texas completely crumbled against Toronto, as the Rangers were the best team in the AL on paper. So being up 1-0 is their best chance to win the series, and an 'equalizer" in my mind. But they are hot, and are playing well at the right time.

As to their Chief Wahoo logo Merckx refers, to, I too find this to be basically racist, and I'm glad the team has "demoted" it officially to a secondary logo, with the block C, and feather logo primary. But they really should just retire Chief Wahoo once and for all. The name Indians is borderline as is, though not nearly as offensive as "Redskins".

I'm so NOT disregarding all your posts/points, guys, but just like with the NHL and NBA I'm wondering whether this game is fixed so it will go all the way to game 7. (The more games they play the more money they can milk out of the fans.)

Apologies, btw., I'm just way too skeptical now. (Still have no fave in the MLB Series, btw.)

I'm not so sure. Even if you just look at the numbers, out of the last 13 World Series, only two have gone the full 7 games. Four of them have been 4-0 sweeps, and four more have been 4-1 wins.

It's also harder I think to fix the games through umpiring. There is a subjectivity to umpiring, for sure. But less in MLB than other major sports. Only twice in my memory were there questionable calls that affected WS play. The first was the most egregious, and that was 1985 when the Royals beat the Cardinals in a very controversial call (that replays and still photos show was wrong). But even that was in a game 6, and in game 7, the Cards were dominated by the Royals Brett Saberhagen. The other was less controversial, and that was in the 1997 NLCS game 5, when the Marlins beat the Braves, and advanced to the World Series. There was much talk about an inconsistent strike zone that favored the Marlins. Some even quipped that MLB wanted the Marlins to win as the Braves were somewhat dominant and dull, while the Marlins were a newish team to the league. But replays show that umpire Eric Gregg actually had a large strike zone for both teams, and beyond that game. I chalked both of those games up to questionable or poor officiating, not umpires throwing the game by choice.

Having said all that, with modern technology, and replay, it's even harder than ever before for umpires to alter the game, if they wished to.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Terrific game 1 win for the Indians, as the Cubs bats fell asleep. Well, their ability to get runs across the plate at least.

I have a hard time imagining that this trend will continue, as Merckx stated, the Cubs have more talent across the board. I still think Cleveland was fortunate that Texas completely crumbled against Toronto, as the Rangers were the best team in the AL on paper. So being up 1-0 is their best chance to win the series, and an 'equalizer" in my mind. But they are hot, and are playing well at the right time.

As to their Chief Wahoo logo Merckx refers, to, I too find this to be basically racist, and I'm glad the team has "demoted" it officially to a secondary logo, with the block C, and feather logo primary. But they really should just retire Chief Wahoo once and for all. The name Indians is borderline as is, though not nearly as offensive as "Redskins".

Same as game 3..plus great Cleveland pitching..why baseball is a great game..cubbies 'better' across the board yet shutout in 2 out of the last 3 games..I'd like to see it go back to Cleveland with the tribe leading 3 games to 2..then win it in front of the home team fans..and cubbies fans can wait another 108 years.

I have to say that I'd be okay if Cleveland wins, especially if it's in front of their fans. Here's why:

• All the talk and hype is on the Cubs and "finally". I realize the historic significance of that. But so little attention is given to the Indians and their fans, and struggles.

• Futility and disappointment isn't cornered by the Cubs. Yes, they have the 108 year drought. But the Indians haven't won in 68 years either. Few people alive remember them winning, and only one living player from the team is alive. 95 year old Eddie Robinson (who the organization hasn't contacted, yet for some reason). Robinson played alongside guys like Satchel Paige, Bob Feller, Al Rosen. Those are guys long, long ago in the hall of fame, and all gone, remembered in scratchy black and white pictures from a forgotten era almost.

• The Indians fans have had their share of pain in our lifetimes. They lost two World Series, including 1997's strike shortened season when they won 100 games, losing only 44 ( an amazing 694 winning percentage, or extrapolated to about 112-50 over a full season) plus a whopping 30 games ahead of the Royals. But in the World Series, their bats weren't consistent against the Braves stellar pitching and they suffered a heartbreaking loss, the final game at home.

• The Indians did win 94 games this year, so it's not like they lucked into the playoffs. Only Texas had a better record in the AL, and that by one half game.

• Underdogs are fun to root for. And it's great to see a team that's been hurt, and scraping by, play so well.

• The Cubs have a stacked roster of young players. It's quite possible in the next 5 years they'll get deep into the playoffs, and the WS again. They will likely need another starting pitcher, and some bullpen help, maybe. But that's it. The Indians on the other hand have some talent, but may struggle to win 90 games in the several years to come.

Re:

Cleveland won 100 games in 1995, not 1997. That was the strike season. They lost the WS both those years, though, and the final game was on the road.

On that 1948 team, don’t forget Lou Boudreau, who not only was regular season MVP that year, but did it while also managing the team!

Since we’re crying for Cleveland, they set an AL record with 111 wins in 1954 (a .721 win % that still stands as an AL record), then got swept in the WS by the Giants. The all-time record? The 1906 Chicago Cubs, who won 116 games (.763). They went on to lose the WS in one of the greatest upsets in history. Their 116 wins was later tied by the 2001 Seattle Mariners, in a 162 game schedule, and they didn’t even make it to the WS.

So lots of room for feeling sorry for teams. And while Cleveland moaned and groaned before this year about not winning any championships, how about San Diego? The last time they won anything was the Chargers winning the AFL championship in 1963, and that was before the merger brought that league to parity with the NFL. But what a game that was, a 51-10 blowout over a team that has since had better luck, the Patriots. Keith Lincoln rushed for more than 200 yards in only 13 carries, and also was the game’s top receiver with more than 100 yards. Even in today's offensive era, you don't see performances like that very often, if at all.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Holy mother of God, that was an epic for the ages, rightly won by the best team of the season. If the Cubs can break a 108 year drought there's hope for all of us who support teams that lose.

You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

I wake up, eager to see who won, avoiding looking at the phone, or anything. I start the DVR, Indians tie the game, looks like extra innings, rain delay. And I wait, and fast forward. And low and behold, just as the players are back on the field and game's back starting up, the DVR recording ends!!! Even with adding extra time, I missed the whole blessed excitement of the end!

Ouch!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

I wake up, eager to see who won, avoiding looking at the phone, or anything. I start the DVR, Indians tie the game, looks like extra innings, rain delay. And I wait, and fast forward. And low and behold, just as the players are back on the field and game's back starting up, the DVR recording ends!!! Even with adding extra time, I missed the whole blessed excitement of the end!

Ouch!

There are times when sleep is overrated.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

Ouch!
Oh wow, you had just reminded me that I had set my TV on record, and truth be told, after the game was tied in the 8th I couldn't bear to watch anymore. So I didn't.

So this morning when I found out the Cubs had won I was all happy that I had recorded the game, but egads! After reading your post I couldn't remember whether I had added enough time extension! So I was checking all furiously, turns out I had added three hours because baseball games can go on practically indefinitely, so luckily I've got the whole thing.

Whew, that was a close one!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
THE HEAVENS—Following a 8-7 victory over the Cleveland Indians that clinched the team’s first World Series title since 1908, sources confirmed Wednesday that millions of intoxicated Chicago Cubs fans are currently rioting across Heaven.
Moments after watching the game’s final out from above Earth, massive throngs of intoxicated Cubs fans—most of whom went their entire lives without ever seeing the team win a World Series—poured out all over the eternal city, where they reportedly continued drinking heavily as they cheered, hugged strangers, and loudly played golden harps in celebration of their long-awaited championship.
“Let’s go, Cubbies!” screamed Susan Leitch, who died of cardiac arrest in 1997 at the age of 70, before joining hundreds of fellow deceased Chicago fans as they repeatedly sang the chorus of “Go Cubs, Go!” “World Series champs! Finally!”
“Woo!” continued Leitch as she drunkenly stumbled over her feet and broke out in a fit of laughter.
According to reports, after one fan managed to affix a large “W” win flag to the top of the Pearly Gates, a large mob of Cubs fans began violently shaking the gateway as they chanted third baseman Kris Bryant’s name for nearly an hour. Sources confirmed that the gold-paved streets were quickly littered with empty beer cans, cigarettes, spilled food, and other refuse, while a number of inebriated fans were also seen urinating against the sapphire, emerald, and diamond–encrusted walls that protect the sacred realm.

http://www.theonion.com/article/millions-drunk-cubs-fans-rioting-heaven-following--54580

Strickland hitting Harper today is just another reason why I have mostly lost interest in MLB. Hitting a batter is almost as old as the game, but it is so bastardized now that its stupid. Hitting a batter/plunking them is a retaliatory message for something that happened in the game. Not 10 games ago, or last season, or three season ago.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jmdirt said:
Strickland hitting Harper today is just another reason why I have mostly lost interest in MLB. Hitting a batter is almost as old as the game, but it is so bastardized now that its stupid. Hitting a batter/plunking them is a retaliatory message for something that happened in the game. Not 10 games ago, or last season, or three season ago.
2014 to be exact. Harper faced Strickland 2 times in the NL DS and both time Harper went yard. I watched those games and really nothing unusual about Harper's actions after those home runs. The first one Strickland started yelling at him to get around the bases and then the second one Harper paused just a little after he rocked it.

I think Harper tossed that helmet to the side on purpose because right as he was getting ready to unload it on him he must have decided that it would have brought a huge suspension or fine.

TRENDING THREADS