• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Really? No Baseball Thread?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Holy sh!t, that ninth inning by Rosenthal was unbelievable!! Couldn't have been more than maybe 12 pitches to strike out three. I don't think any of the batters touched the ball - one of them was 101 mph.

But watching a team trying to grind out a 1-0 is not really what the neutral fan wants to see, though it has a certain charm for soccer fans, who regularly go through the stress of desperately hanging on to the slimmest of leads.

Something like a 10-8 would be more fun, though.

can't believe no one is talking about the World Series…. no Sox or Card fans?

okay, a plea from me: if anybody is watching it in europe, where? i've had ESPN America forever and they stopped broadcasting this past summer :(

ta!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
can't believe no one is talking about the World Series…. no Sox or Card fans?

okay, a plea from me: if anybody is watching it in europe, where? i've had ESPN America forever and they stopped broadcasting this past summer :(

ta!

Hey there, baseball buddy!:) The way last night finished was really something! No WS game has previously ever been decided on an 'obstruction' call by an umpire. I think the decision was correct.

Ok, here is where/how you can find links to baseball streams.

First, you need to install Streamtorrent, it's quick and easy, I've used it for years.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/Stream-Torrent.shtml

Then, go here -

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/22-MLB-Baseball

When you follow the link at the top of this forum page that says 'streaming', you'll get a page like this, which shows today's links -

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/86150-Streaming-MLB-Today-Sunday-October-27

I usually select the link with the highest 'k' rate, which usually means the best picture. However, I've been watching recent games on the C-sports link because I've found that stream to be the most reliable, as well as without all those damn commercials. Expect a stream to take about 3 minutes to load and buffer.

Didn't we wind up texting during last year's WS? :confused:

That was some ending! I want the Sox, but after hearing the explanation of the rule, I think it was the right call. The only question is when Middlebrooks lifted his legs he was moving them out of the baseline, or moving them in the way of Craig who was inside the line, but that's what the umps saw as a rule violation, as he did block the path.

What a crappy way to lose a game though.

I said entering the playoffs that the RedSox chances rested a lot on the arm of Clay Buckholz. He was looking like a Cy Young winner early in the season before getting hurt. After returning in September, he was hot/cold. How he pitches tonight will go a long way to determining this series. Sox lose tonight, Im not sure they can dig their way out of a 3-1 hole, though they would have Lester in Game 5, and Lackey & Peavy in 6, 7 at Fenway, and both pitch better at home.

Amsterhammer said:
Hey there, baseball buddy!:) The way last night finished was really something! No WS game has previously ever been decided on an 'obstruction' call by an umpire. I think the decision was correct.

Ok, here is where/how you can find links to baseball streams.

First, you need to install Streamtorrent, it's quick and easy, I've used it for years.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/Stream-Torrent.shtml
alas, only for Windows :(
Didn't we wind up texting during last year's WS? :confused:
we did and it's killing me that we're not this time around!

i've been travelling too much and barely got here from the states before i was off to the UK, then back here, and go back to the states just in time to miss the whole series… trying desperately to get back on track whichever time zone i'm in and it sucks… i want to watch this!

if i had only thought ahead, i would have worked my trip to leave from Amsterdam and caught the last game with you :D

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
What a crappy way to lose a game though.

agreed, as i also believe it was the correct call.

lost in post-game analysis of the interference call is the heads up play of daniel nava. had nava not hustled the way he did to get to the ball to make the throw (and what a sweet throw home it was!), the interference call would have made no difference.

go cardinals!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Not one post all season?

Barring an unforeseen collapse, I'm looking forward to my Nats finishing top of the NL. I consider the NL-E title a given at this point. A Nats - Angels WS would be appealing, but when do the two best teams actually make it to the final?

I was going to post after the trade deadline, as my team was in 1st place then and the best in MLB (Oakland A's), but it didn't happen.

I didn't like the Cespedas for Lester trade when it happened, and since then, wow. Don't get me wrong, Lester is great, but the trade seemed to fly in the face of Billy Beane's sabermetrics. Of course in hindsight it's easy for me to say that. Gray & Kazmir have both pitched too many innings, Doolittle hurt, other guys playing hurt. But the collapse of the A's has been more than alarming. 8 games up at one point, best record in the majors, and by far the greatest run differential. Now, it looks like they may not even make the playoffs and could finish 10 games back. Just stunning. :(

I too like the Nats. I like the way they play. I'd like to see a Nats-Orioles series, but I kinda like the Angels too. I also think the Dodgers are going to be tough for anyone to get through, though last year Kershaw, as great as he is, was very average in the playoffs.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Not one post all season?

Barring an unforeseen collapse, I'm looking forward to my Nats finishing top of the NL. I consider the NL-E title a given at this point. A Nats - Angels WS would be appealing, but when do the two best teams actually make it to the final?

I would have posted but this year has been ...really hard to watch for a Red Sox fan. I don't like to lose and this year it has not gone well.

The Nationals look like a strong team.

I like the A's also and that has been hell to watch.

I would not mind to see the Nationals take it all. It would be good for the game in my opinion.

Anyone notice a cheater got caught and suspended today?

Chris Davis of Baltimore. But you know what, I'll accept what he said. He admitted it, apologized, said what drug it was, and that he had a TUE in the past but didn't get one, and accepted the suspension without even appealing it (though the team or union could I guess). Imagine if cyclists did that...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Congrats to my Nats on their second NLE title in three years, clinched tonight in Atlanta, which makes it extra sweet! :D:D

6a017c33430668970b0192ac8f4009970d-800wi

Amsterhammer said:
Congrats to my Nats on their second NLE title in three years, clinched tonight in Atlanta, which makes it extra sweet!
I have to wonder when the discussion will come up about Strasberg and 2012? That's the year the team was heading into the playoffs, he was on fire, and they stopped pitching him due to a predetermined amount of limited innings they wanted to throw him. The Nats lost in the ALDS against the Cards that year. Who knows what would have happened had they rested him more, sooner, and he was available then...

DenisMenchov said:
No playoffs again for the Yanks.
Which is a good thing, especially for the sport as a whole. Having the same team win year in and year out does good only for that team's fans. Take a look at the NBA, I can almost guarantee you this coming season's finals will have San Antonio, Cleveland or Oklahoma City in the finals. Very likely two of those three teams. Yawn.

I liked Montreal Expos a lot, even have their shirt. Washington are true successors.
I agree. But since you're an Expos fan, don't be shy about getting your hopes up of getting the team back. If they can get the money in the works for a new stadium, there is a very good chance Tampa Bay will move there in maybe 2016, and the Expos will live again!

Amsterhammer said:
And 20 minutes later on the same night, congrats to my (other) AL team on clinching their first ALE title since 1997 at home in Camden Yards! :D

orioles21.gif

Fortuitously enough, my employer had chosen tuesday for its annual 'night at the ballpark' promotion. I won a pair of free tickets in the raffle and the rest as they say is history. Great crowd and Camden Yards is really a fun place to watch a game. I think the O's will hit the skids in the playoffs, but the AL East title is a nice achievement.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I agree. But since you're an Expos fan, don't be shy about getting your hopes up of getting the team back. If they can get the money in the works for a new stadium, there is a very good chance Tampa Bay will move there in maybe 2016, and the Expos will live again!

That just cheered me up, had no clue that there was a possibility of the Expos's return, it's been 10 years now.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
That just cheered me up, had no clue that there was a possibility of the Expos's return, it's been 10 years now.

Be thankful it's baseball, not the NBA. We're still waiting for the Seattle team that was promised when ours was shipped to OKC. As*holes.

Don't worry, crazy Steve Ballmer will at least try to move the Clippers to Seattle in a couple years. Unless Paul Allen moves the Trailblazers there (that would likely start a war!)

As to the new Expos, I may be optimistic saying 2016, but it seems very likely the Expos will return. It's just a matter of money, and a stadium. There are some 15+ MLB teams playing in older ball parks that need updating or replacing entirely, some aren't going to move no matter what (Cubs, Dodgers), but some could, and leading the pack is Tampa. They have low attendance, play in a horrible dome, and are owned by a former Goldman-Sachs (Sternberg) exec who has been very outspoken about the lack of city and local support to help replace the stadium and help promote the team. He's also from NY and a fairly invisible owner.

Lots of support out there for this growing.

djpbaltimore said:
I won a pair of free tickets in the raffle and the rest as they say is history. Great crowd and Camden Yards is really a fun place to watch a game.

Good for you! And I hear Camden Yards is one of the best ballparks in all of the majors.

:)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
And that folks, was one off an old man's bucket list!! :D :cool: :D

Washington Nationals #2 ace, Jordan Zimmermann no hits the Miami Marlins on 104 pitches in the final game of the regular season!!

The final out was a web gem catch of what normally would have been a double. I'm sure it will be shown everywhere.

I'm drained, and absolutely elated. I never expected to see one happen.

TRENDING THREADS