• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rebellin appreciation thread.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Liquigas hasn't a real strong Ardennes team I think? A lot of GC guys, but they usually ride Trentino and other Italian stuff for Giro preparation. Nibali and Rebelling together would be great!

Also Aqua e Sapone springs to mind. Didn't Paolini leave? Normally they ride the Ardennes, Tireno, Giro and all the autumn classics. Races Rebelling wants to ride for a last time I guess.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
So appreciation for a guy who was even filmed injecting EPO a few years ago?

sickkkk world... appreciating cheaters who continue to deny and lie...

You know, Rebellin was one of my favourite riders from the days he rode for MG Technogym, I really liked him... but this is just sad. He's going to be back as a 40-year-old who hasn't admitted to anything. I suppose he's not different from Vinokourov in that regard, but not even Vino is as shady as Rebellin.

edit: wait, there's no need to be rational about liking Vino and disliking Rebellin, Vino trumps rationality.

Anybody who tests positive after a performance they call "a victory for clean cycling" is going to have a tough time from fans. I don't know if any of the bigger teams will be willing to risk it on him; he's not exactly going to be WANTED in the Ardennes, he's gonna be 40 soon, the teams most likely to want him are the ones whose invites are most tenuous, and it all seems like a recipe for ending up on a team like Miche like Schumacher and Rasmussen.

Where's de Bonis going to end up? That's more interesting. He was Rebellin's protégé, followed him from Gerolsteiner to Diquigiovanni. Won a stage of Romandie '08 in mind-blowing style, then got taken off the road by his team because they thought he was too suspicious. The team with Schumacher, Rebellin and Kohl thought he was too suspicious.

flicker said:
which of those two were cleaner in your opinion?
idk

it was more the way Rebellin won his biggest races. ESpecially when in 2004 he was wheelsucking a stronger Boogerd and everytime got past him in the last 150m... I still have trauma's from that.
I saw both races live at the finish and two times I saw Boogerd had the gap uphill and both times Rebellin got back on the flat part on top of the Cauberg and the hill in Ans and passed him :mad:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
idk

it was more the way Rebellin won his biggest races. ESpecially when in 2004 he was wheelsucking a stronger Boogerd and everytime got past him in the last 150m... I still have trauma's from that.
I saw both races live at the finish and two times I saw Boogerd had the gap uphill and both times Rebellin got back on the flat part on top of the Cauberg and the hill in Ans and passed him :mad:

I agree. I loved Boogerds style he rode out in the wind and led up the climbs.

Rebellin was a moonshadow in every ride I ever saw him in. Just a little wisp at the end blasting through on the power climbs. A bogus classics rider, like Pozatto, the same mold of negative riding.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
idk

If Boogerd was stronger, why could Rebelling coming back after the climbs? If their was a real gap and he was really stronger after 230k, one-to-one Boogerd should have stayed alone...
Don't get me wrong: I'm a huge Boogerd fan. I know how he spiced the finals of AGR, LBL, Lombardia and the harder worlds for a decade. Even won Brabantse pijl, Emilia and 'his AGR'! But as it is, unfortunately got outsprinted several times by slightly stronger riders.

flicker said:
I agree. I loved Boogerds style he rode out in the wind and led up the climbs.

Rebellin was a moonshadow in every ride I ever saw him in. Just a little wisp at the end blasting through on the power climbs. A bogus classics rider, like Pozatto, the same mold of negative riding.

Geez, I gotta watch more classics from the last 10 years before I make my opinion about a rider. I had this impression of Rebellin as an attacker, but come to think of it he was always in the mix in attacks, maybe he didn't initiate them. I hardly thought of him as a Pozzato. Anyway, I defer to the opinion and knowledge of DT and flicker, both of whom I know have a longer history than my 4 years of watching cycling year-round (although I am suspicious that the only reason DT doesn't like Rebellin is because he beat Boogerd)...

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Billie said:
Davide turns 44 today. Showed in Pologne he's still not done. Would be cool if he could win another Italian classic later in the season.

Emilia again is possible with the devaluation of that race in the past years.

Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Billie said:
Davide turns 44 today. Showed in Pologne he's still not done. Would be cool if he could win another Italian classic later in the season.

It is, CCC is also invited to Lombardia, but i doubt RCS will let him race it. But if he does, i think he also has a small shot there.

markene2 said:
Arredondo said:
Billie said:

It is, CCC is also invited to Lombardia, but i doubt RCS will let him race it. But if he does, i think he also has a small shot there.

It's a disgrace the way Horner and Rebellin are treated but younger cyclists with the same alleged past are welcomed with open arms.

Arredondo said:
Billie said:

He is far from his records in Huy and thing like that, but Emilia is still a posibility. he has a lot of experience and he didnt race a lot of days in the season, so he is fresh to some races.

TMP402 said:
markene2 said:
Arredondo said:
Billie said:

It's a disgrace the way Horner and Rebellin are treated but younger cyclists with the same alleged past are welcomed with open arms.

This

38420200971_69b9a312f7_c.jpg

old magazine advertisement from when Davide was with the old first Liquigas team

TRENDING THREADS